Topic

Please read. Does this belong in "off topic" or here in the main forum where everyone gives their two cents?

Is everyone out there mentally stunted? Has the world lost their collective backbones? Do we live in a PC nightmare? I've run across some awful arguments in here.  Some issues that some people have in here are staggering.  I can't believe that humans would actually give credence to some of the insane things I've read in here. 

Who likes free speech?

Who understands that everyone in the world can't be happy 24/7 with the opinions of the rest of the world?

Who accepts the above and just tries to love their fellow man/woman and get along?

I want to flesh out the rant, but I'm sure this will get the ball rolling.

Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Miskatonic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• My two currants: You (general "you") have the right to say whatever you like. By the same token, I have the right to say that you (again, general "you") are an asshole for holding certain opinions. That's what freedom of speech means. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Shiromisa Kaya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You have no "free speech" on this website.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • agreed
  • Is it so wrong to want an adult conversation?  People are supposed to converse and philosophize and debate, not rally for censorship and be smug PC children.
  • There's a difference between having an adult conversation, and acting like a jerk.
  • In addition, I would say that "lov[ing] your fellow man/woman" should entail realizing that sometimes, words are hurtful without you meaning them to be, accepting criticism with grace, and apologizing when you do unwittingly hurt someone.
  • Whether or not General is the forum in which people give their two cents, this is off topic and belongs in the Off Topic forum. This thread does not discuss anything specific to Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Personally, I don't think its very adult to insist on (and exercise) your right to offend people. Why do you have to turn every discussion into drama?
    There, is that free speech enough for ya?
    Posted 12 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like that take on it, Phoebe. Thank you.
  • There is no free speech in a video game forum. They can outlaw the word "Hi" if they wanted to. It's a private party, and you can be booted if they like. :)

Beau
    Posted 12 years ago by Beau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Shiromisa, also with that goes ...no jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst about people.
  • Is it me, or am I missing something totally beyond this thread?
    D:
  • (My conclusions come from reading your posts in the forums)

It refers back to the "Twisted Panties" topic Volkov
    Posted 12 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But that's just the thing. Sometimes words are hurtful without you meaning them to be. Words have meanings that are out of your hands, and there's nothing you or I can do to change that. That's where the apology comes in. If you put your foot in your mouth, I will be upset, but if you say "Oh my gosh, I had no idea that word had that baggage, I'm sorry," then I will stop assuming the worst of you and realize it was a mistake. Make sense?
  • wat
  • I think this is very "on topic."  We have to deal with each other in here and in the real world.  I think our behavior and speech is extremely important.  We should realize that people are going to be offended at some point in our lives.  We should try not to offend.  I'm offended by someone saying I can't use words with multiple meanings.  I'm offended by someone stating that use of said word can hold no other meaning besides a racist one.  I honestly enjoy people and conversing, but it's highly annoying when people blubber and cry because they have some slight anxiety about a word or whatever.  If you say to me that a certain word bothers you because of xyz...I will most likely monitor my speech out of respect.  But if you demand behavior of me, you are not going to get my respect.  You obviously don't respect me.
  • Volkov, I posted this in the main forum and they booted it to off-topic.  I think it's strange when a question is raised about how we should interact as a community is seen as "off topic."
  • Apparently the mods disagree.
  • Apply Wheaton's Law = problem solved.

This works for every situation. :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Smashlee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Smashlee:

Unless, of course, you are called "Dick".

I am offended on behalf of Dicks everywhere ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm also curious as to the average gamer age in here. 
    Is my age atleast.
  • Gah, ANOTHER post about this? This has nothing to do with Glitch gameplay. If you want to complain about how people act, do it in offtopic where it belongs so this forum signal to noise ratio is improved.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wundur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Then ignore it and walk on by.  How is this not related to game play?  We play together and converse in game.  This is definitely a factor. 
  • This is Off Topic Mr. Miskatonic, and so moved to the Off Topic forum. Thanks for asking! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Blanky, you mind telling me how game play and human interaction and conversation is off topic?
  • Here's how I look at it: say what you want, but if you get told you're being obnoxious and continue to do it, you're the dick. No excuses, no "why can't we all be adults?", it's on you. If it's so much a free-speech issue to you that you be allowed to be as obnoxious to others as you feel like, then I don't know what to tell you. I think it's a reasonable expectation on a player's part to not get beat over the head with whatever rubs them wrong way, and if they raise a reasonable concern, then I guess I don't understand the problem- the ball's in your court. If you continue to be obnoxious to them, they're well within their rights to block you, and probably should if the "right" to be a pain in the ass is what's being held up as a misbegotten concept of "free speech". 

It comes off as a real eye-roller to me when people get all in a tizzy because somebody doesn't like something they said, and asks them politely not to say it... only to be told they're censorious idiots who "don't get it" because they've asked that someone has a bit of consideration and very slightly alters their words. An inability to do that shows a sadly ineffectual vocabulary; an unwillingness to do that shows a douchey lack of basic respect for others. The latter are the people I have as little to do with as possible, even if the disrespect they've exhibited isn't directed at me- if they don't respect others, they probably don't respect me much either, and I don't have time for that.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mr. Miskatonic, basic human interaction, though of course part of the game, is not directly related enough to aspects of Glitch in particular to be on topic. This would be the same case if people were having a general discussion of how different browsers deal with flash-based MMOs. How people interact in regards to a particular aspect of the game, such as mining, gardening, triple-jumping, that would be fine for the General forum. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Smashlee

GOD I LOVE WIL WHEATON!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Djabriil, in short (ish)...our prejudices, angst, general issues with vocabulary in general come from very personal reasons.  Conversation and discussion is key.  Understanding where the other person is coming from.  But, people usually have these issues due to some social trauma.  If we censored our vocabulary for every living person, we may as well be mute.  Most of the issues should be dealt with and try to move along.  There are words that will always hold very specific and awful connotations,  used specifically for hate and derision.  Other words, for whatever personal reason have been given specific connotations.  I'm wanting to help the person affected and still allow everyone to use language in general.  Not to be offensive, but to communicate freely.
  • "The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." -- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

This quote applies to many contexts, not just movies.

And, yes, this is off-topic. Sensational disdain for the way humans conduct themselves on the internet is too broad to do with the game Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by shipwreck Subscriber! | Permalink