Topic

In Memoriam of Matthew Shepard.

In memoriam: Matthew Shepard was beaten and left to die in a field simply because he was gay. This occured 13 years ago today. Please keep in mind the damage you do and the culture you enable when you don't stand up for gay rights and when you joke about things that suck being "gay." But for those of you that do stand up for the various allied queer and QUILTBAG communities, please never forget the wonderful things that you do and just how much they mean.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Posted 13 years ago by anonymoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Posted 13 years ago by Jarhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Word.
    Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rest in Peace Matthew 
    Posted 13 years ago by Ebil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :(
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :(
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Posted 13 years ago by SacredBob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in a production of The Laramie Project in high school.

Our school was protested against by 8 Baptists who made the news unfortunately.

Peace Matthew ♥
    Posted 13 years ago by le beebs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Posted 13 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was in the Laramie Project too (community theater). Nice post, Cer. <3
    Posted 13 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Posted 13 years ago by Poppy of Detwoit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My lil glitch stands with you in remembrance of Matthew Shepherd and J. R. Warren http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Warren and the many other people who have been victimized by hate. Thank you Cerulean for the reminder, we still have work to do.
    Posted 13 years ago by justpeace Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow
    Posted 13 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • genbeeb, i think you probably got the westboro baptist church (no, i will not link you), and i would like to caution you against confusing those people with baptists in general.

when they came to my state not to long ago, students at montpelier high school ran an interesting counter -protest: they set up a website and took pledges for every minute that the westboro baptists were protesting in montpelier, complete with a giant poster announcing the minute-by-minute donations rolling in. they raised tens of thousands of dollars for several gay rights organizations that day.

clever kids.

as for the westboro baptists, every major baptist church has taken pains to disassociate from them. even the KKK has turned their back on them. when the KKK thinks you're too much of a fringe hate group, you've really taken a wrong turn somewhere.
    Posted 13 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink