Topic

Comedy Shows (sitcoms, docu-style, gag shows, "dramedies", etc)

I can't stop watching Parks and Recreation. I am a big fan of everyone in that show ^_^

Also, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Low-brow as it may be for some, I feel that the show got something to say. And Charlie Day is AWESOME.

Posted 13 years ago by The Black Chicken Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I loved Arrested Development...but it's not in production anymore.

I watch The Big Bang Theory.  Love Sheldon Cooper.

I enjoy Louis on FX, as well as Wilfred, also on FX.

Mr. Show was the best show to ever air on television (besides Arrested Development and Seinfeld), but that isn't in production anymore either.  It hasn't been for years.
    Posted 13 years ago by Poppy of Detwoit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Office, Parks & Rec, and Arrested Development, pretty much.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cupcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Big Bang Theory <3 hehehe  Seinfeld is also good but Friends is better
    Posted 13 years ago by Gabi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Poppy- AD is coming back with 10 more episodes on Fox prior to the movie (which is now confirmed).
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Djabrill....get the hell outta here!  You just made my day!  w00t
    **runs to use the google on the interwebz**

EDIT:  And yes, Friends was awesome.
  • IIRC Mitch Hurwitz and Jason Bateman both are saying 2012 for the new episodes and 2013 for the movie. Hopefully this isn't a case of promising us they're going to take us to a cabin in the woods and then not taking us.
  • Sorry, we can't release them...this poor woman lost her puppy and we have to help her find it.  
  • Come on!
  • They're laughing with me, Michael...they're laughing with me!!
  • ...that's like the seventh nipple I've seen today...
  • I'm a MONSTER!!

But besides Arrested D, I'm loving that 30 Rock is now in syndication so I can relive those funny early episodes. Last season was good but not great.

The only newish sitcom I've been watching is Up All Night, mainly because of the cast and because I am an expecting dad. The show is funny, but should be way funnier considering the talent and writing staff.
    Posted 13 years ago by shipwreck Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yeah, I've been watching Up All Night too- I really like Will Arnett and Christina Applegate, and it's a pretty light-hearted show.
    Also, Community, Modern Family... and OMG, Wilfred. If you haven't seen Wilfred (the Elijah Wood one- haven't seen the Australian version, myself), you must go to Hulu posthaste and watch the first season.
  • We should just start an Arrested D quote thread.  :-p

Wilfred is amazing, I love that show.

I am addicted to Breaking Bad and Dexter, as well.  Two great shows.
    I am also watching An American Horror Story.  There have only been two episodes so far, but I like what I've seen.  It has potential...but potential to go either way.  I'm willing to stick it out and see which way it veers.

I realize that none of these are comedies....sorry.  

EDIT:
    More really funny shows that I thought of...

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret 
    The Onion News Network 
    Portlandia
  • Just finished watching an episode of Parks and Recreation.

That was hilarious and at the end, really heartwarming...
    Posted 13 years ago by The Black Chicken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll +1 Always Sunny. An often hysterically funny show about a bunch of self-centered asses, basically, and somehow it doesn't matter that I couldn't give a damn about any of the characters- seeing them screw themselves over continuously is funny enough. Also, Danny DeVito.

And these are kinda low-hanging fruit, so to speak, but IT Crowd is excellent, as is The Mighty Boosh.
  • i can sit straight-faced through an entire episode of BBT. it's not funny. 

how am i not surprised you people love arrested development... also, i guess they're moving forward on the movie again.

best show on tv imo is community. love it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I don't get into BBT much either.
    Why's it not a surprise we people love AD, exactly?
    Like I said, I do love me some Community. There are some uneven episodes (like Troy's birthday, or the missing pen) but overall it's fantastic. And great to see Chevy Chase doing something worth watching again.
  • stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/20...
  • Ah. Too bad I'm not white ;)
  • replace white with yuppie. the website makes a lot more sense then.
  • Yeah, not true either... I'm Romani, of a lower middle-class upbringing, a veteran, and live in Kansas. Nice try, though.
  • yuppie isn't an ethnic group
  • I know you like to get rises outta people in the forums (from long observation), and I suppose if that's your idea of a hobby, however sad I and others may find it, enjoy. I would suggest knowing anything at all about whoever you're talking to before making assumptions based on an article you read somewhere, though.

Meanwhile, thanks for killing the thread! Much appreciated.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?"

Arrested Development is hard to beat. I enjoy The Office, Community, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny, and How I Met Your Mother. My favorite newish show has been Raising Hope (their commitment to malapropisms is admirable!). I miss Better Off Ted--I didn't know how much I needed a mad science + corporate insanity show in my life until I had it, and now it's gone. :( Also: Father Ted, the IT Crowd, and Black Books. (Yes, I'm a Graham Linehan fan, how can you tell?)
    Posted 12 years ago by Good Pilgrim Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Nobody looks good in this."
    "Especially that little dude."
    "That's Ann."
    "Who?"

The only thing I didn't like about Better Off Ted is that Ted is the perfect guy, everybody likes him, he's super-successful, and doesn't really have much conflict... unlike most people in the world; at times it makes him a little hard to relate to for a lot of people. Still in my top 20 though :)
  • you axd me a question about why i wasn't surprised about the AD fandome here. i answered. simple as that. no biggy.

edit: also i don't think you got my intent. i wasn't trying to insult you or get a rise. that website is satire. it's not a white racism site. it's written by a white person.

edit2: also a lot of people who aren't white say they relate to the website. so the conclusion of many of the fans is that the website doesn't satire white people but rather yuppies, hipsters, etc.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awww. I liked the episode about Troy's Birthday. It was not *entirely* funny and it added depth to a show which was usually focused on "thematic" episodes (don't take me wrong, I loved all of their theme episodes - D&D most especially). I just liked the birthday one because that it was different.
    Posted 12 years ago by The Black Chicken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Black Chicken- I think I mostly just didn't like it for the fact that I went back and watched a bunch of season 2 back to back- I missed it when it aired- and it was kind of a downer overall; it is a good episode, and has a lot of extra dimension to it, but it just seemed tonally like an episode from a different show. I think the only episode I cared less for (from a tonal standpoint) was Abed's "My Dinner With Andre" episode (though there are some great moments in it as well- "That's good no-no juice" lol). I don't really hate those episodes, they just sorta seem outta place sometimes.
  • Have you tried watching Parks and Recreation? It's pretty good too. Certainly better than Big Bang Theory (that one got really old, really fast)
  • I have just discovered, from this thread, that I apparently do not watch any popular comedy shows. :)

EDIT: Unless they are Britcoms. I find most of those hysterical.
    Posted 12 years ago by ✰ Lorelei ✰ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Black Chicken- I've watched a couple of episodes; seems pretty funny, but for some reason I've not gotten into it quite yet. I'm sure I will though, since I did like what I saw. 30 Rock, though, I never really got the popularity of, tbh, thought that's almost certainly a taste/sense of humor issue rather than a reflection on the show itself.
  • Parks and Rec is freaking amazing. God I love Swanson, the sleep fighting genius.

It's Always Sunny, even though they are all really just bastards you can't help but love them and their crazy arse adventures.

I really like Two Guys and A Girl, just finished rewatching all of the eps for about the third time over, haha.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good Pilgrim, if you like Black Books you should try Spaced. It's only 2 seasons.
    Posted 12 years ago by Victoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Spaced is fantastic :)
  • ohhh never seen Spaced, Black Books is bloody hilarious though
  • If life was a game, Ron Swanson wins in life.
  • FYI: Arrested Development

IT IS BACK!!!

Netflix has picked it up and there will be a new season and they are going to stream it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Crispa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • my Favorites? 

Arrested Development
    Green Acres (old, yes, but classic and original, they did a lot of the gags first)
    Flight of the Conchords
    Police Squad
    The Tick (live action version, not cartoon)
    WKRP in Cinncinati (only because of the Thanksgiving Episode, one of the funniest sitcom episodes ever written: "As God is my witness, I thought turkey's could fly")

From england:
    Fawlty Towers
    Da Ali G Show

Yes, I know all but 1 are off the air now, which is a shame. I really don't like what passes for comedy on TV now.
    Posted 12 years ago by Crispa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • omg @ Arrested Development.

omgomgomg
  • @The Black Chicken

If you look up the word winning in the dictionary it just has a picture of Ron Swanson demolishing a Mulligan's steak.
  • Currently addicted to How I Met Your Mother <3

It's just awesome!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mandy.23 Subscriber! | Permalink