Topic

Game: Tinkatolli

Lyrical does this so much better, but I thought I'd give it a shot. :) 

Type: Open World
Screenshot of my Tinkapadhttp://bit.ly/VxBOmN 
You can decorate the inside & the outside. That's my Tinka near the bottom, doing a flip. 
Game linkhttp://www.tinkatolli.me/

It looks like striatic posted about this almost two years ago: http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/4673/ 
Keep in mind that a lot has changed in the game since then. 

I'm really loving this game, and I'm posting this in case someone else is desperately looking for another game they can lose themselves in. 

The basic premise is that the Tinka's have a lot of junk wash up on their shores, and instead of being upset about it, they use it to create stuff. The junk is pieces of paper most commonly, but can be very rare items like socks or LCD screens.

From their FAQ: "On Tinkatolli, kids can play games, explore, collect, build, decorate, solve quests, view each other's offline and online creations, trade, hunt for items and level up through earning virtual badges that mark their achievements in the game. Tinkatolli is also a very a social game that lets children interact with one another by chatting, playing games, helping each other, exploring together, trading, giving gifts and visiting each other's virtual homes. Many players develop wonderful friendships with other players that are just as important to them as the friendships they have in the real world."

The game is marketed toward children, however, other than some safeguards (like the inability to type numbers in chat) I don't really see how it's more kid-specific. It is open chat, but you can disable chat, if you choose. 

You get your own house, to decorate as you wish with items you find, or things you buy. I'm fairly certain that clothing is coming in a future release. They have an iPad (or iOS?) app, where you can create a Tinka & dress them. (Free) You explore the world, picking up junk & creating stuff. You collect Bling (little glowy blue orbs - think Pacman) for XP and more moves (i.e. Jumping, flipping, dancing, somersaulting, etc.) 

Tinkatolli is free to play. They have membership options too - http://www.tinkatolli.me/membership/buy/ . Trinkets are equal to Glitch Currants. Seeds are the other in-game currency you collect & purchase things with. You can earn them from playing games (arcade games in the game), recycling, or picking up junk. 

Pros:
Highly customizable avatar, even more so for subscribers
Your own space, expandable
Arcade games within the game
Special area for level 10+ (accessible with an item you can only make at Level 10)
Ability to submit items you create IRL, and they may be chosen to recreated in-game
It encourages offline creativity & exercise. You can even earn in-game perks for doing so.

Cons:
World is fairly small
Can get grindy if you let it
Difficult to add friends unless you see them in-game >:|

Anyway, I hope you'll give it a try. If you do, feel free to add me (if you see me - let me know you're a Glitch!). I'm Wyneener on there. :) I'll be happy to help you however I can.

ETA: They have in-game holiday fare. There is holiday junk to pick up, holiday unusuals to buy, and right now, there is snow upon the ground. :) So that's nice too. I love in-game holidays!

If you decide to join Tinkatolli, be sure to add your nickname to the Glitchen Games Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq8E1odbRbYmdHBHUXZmVnNmWG5XRHNkekwtT1VtZWc#gid=6 Tinkatolli is listed under the Virtual World tab. 

Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• So weird...I just downloaded the Tinka app for my iPad today, and my son and I have been having a ball creating different little characters...such fun! I had no idea there was a game associated with it, so thanks for the head's up, Wynella...if I give it a go, I'll be sure and look you up in-game!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dahlia DreadNaught Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay, well said!!  I love my little Tinka, her name is Minkey.  :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That's cool Dahlia! I had a lot of fun with the app. I was quite surprised it was free. 

And thank you m'dear Minkey :) Did I miss anything? That junk-collecting is highly addicted for some unknown reason, perhaps? ;)
  • Excellent description of Tinkatolli! I can scarce believe it but it seems that you and I are friends over there and we never met in Glitch. Love your tinka's house :)

- eggyglitch the Tinka
    Posted 11 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, eggy (on the description and the house love)! I know, isn't that odd? I'm happy to have made your acquaintance. :)
  • I don't think you've missed anything!!  I did build my boat and have been taking it to  a far away place, just past the waterfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall.

wait, maybe worth mentioning how adorable your tinkas are when you eat a berry or when you open your messenger bag: very cute!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ty so much, Wynella! I just signed up, it looks really cute but I have no idea what to do. I'm still lost.
    I'm lilalovegood there, please add me guys, I'm totally confused. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Lila Clemenceau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I joined last night and submitted your Tinka name as the one that referred me to the site. I only hope they will allow me to continue using my name, seeing that it's for children. Thanks Wynella. :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Hellyeah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just joined.  It's a bit childish for my tastes but it's a very cute world.  I hope to get more familiar with it and hopefully grow to love it.  Thank you so much for sharing it with me!
    Posted 11 years ago by Bio the Dragon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh the awkwardness of putting my age in that little slot! I feel so old, and I'm not very old!

Not the first game I've signed up for that asked for my "parent's email" though! ;D
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm playing as chilirlw...I like the little games, but I haven't figured out how to craft stuff yet.
    Posted 11 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Minkey: Hah. The unhinged mouth reminds me of something from Beetlejuice. 

@Lila: You'll get the hang of it in no time, I'm sure. To start off, just walk around picking up items that you can highlight with your mouse cursor. Then go to the next area & do the same. (There are approx 5 items per screen.) Also, you can click on the Map at the bottom of the screen and go "Home" and decorate. :)

@Hellyeah: hehe, hmm, I don't know if they will or not. It probably depends on whether someone reports you or not. 

@Bio the Dragon: Well it is made for kids, so childish makes sense (I guess I enjoy childish. What does that say about me? ;X). Happy to have other Glitchen there! Hope you grow to love it like I do.

@Biohazard: Hah. I think I put 80. Still cracks me up when I see "Parents email" mentioned here and there. 

@chilirlw: At the top of the map, you have Places, Games & Shops. Click on Shops. Mechanicals & Furniture let you build stuff. You need to have or purchase the items, then purchase the blueprint & build. 
  • This looks really cute. :) I'm Lorian on there, as with most games. Not much time to play right now, but I'll give this one more of a try when I have more time!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm trying this too. It looks cute. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looking forward to seeing you there, Lorian & Kridla! :)
  • I tried this and it was  not for me. But I had to email them as could not find a way to delete my account. Turns out their co founder Luke Séguin-Mageewas was a fan of glitch :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ty so much Wynella! Damn it, I lost internet connection  and I couldn't stop thinking about playing Tinkatolli! It's so cute! Oh, I still don't know what to buy with my seeds, though I'm enjoying those little games to get them!
  • Ahh, help! Wynella, would you know how I can get the blings that are inside the gloop pools at Stinkatolli? Those: snag.gy/1wIrj.jpg  I can't get them >_<" 
  • lila to get those you will need to build a hot air balloon in the mechanical workshop and ride it
    Posted 11 years ago by iDylan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, ty iDylan! I'm trying to level up to 10 now to get that boat but damn, getting 3000 points to level up is looking hard! But I won't give up! Then that cute airbaloon is gonna be mine, hopefully soon! 
  • np! btw if you guys have any questions about the game feel free to ask me i've been playing it since the first day of closed beta - december 2010. I'm actually really glad you guys are enjoying it and I think this thread explains while the world has been recently more populated when normally it isn't. The staff of it are a really nice hardworking bunch and hopefully this is the start of something new :)

Also, if you guys are interesting in reading up old and recent updates, item information, general guides etc loads of different players have set up helpful blogs about the game. This one stands out for me particularly http://www.tinkatollishack.com/
  • Adorable! My user is the same on there! FlamingoPink :3
    Posted 11 years ago by Flamingo Pink Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lol I just found a barbie arm. This is ridiculous and I love it.
  • I remember being in the beta of this game...
    Posted 11 years ago by ❅Cobalt❅ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey iDylan! You weren't kidding when you were talking about a bunch of new people. My gosh, there must've been 12 people in each area this morning. That's a lot more than I'm used to seeing. I wonder if someone posted about Tinkatolli on a big blog somewhere....?  

I have noticed several awesome Tinkatolli sites, and I have them bookmarked. Tinkatolli Shack & Tinkatolli Tips [ http://tinkatollitips.blogspot.com/ ] seem to update most regularly. 

Anyway iDylan, I wanted to ask you a couple of questions, since you're here. :D Are you still able to do the quest? I've been trying to start it for a while, but can't figure out where the "scroll" is in Blueberry Hill. Did that change when the snow arrived?

Also, about how often do the Unusual Items switch out? When was the last time new junk showed up? I'm still paging through the blogs, but I haven't come across those answers yet. :) Thanks!
  • Ok, this is a cute game. It's not exactly a replacement, because it is a kids' site. But so far Kridla is having fun there! It reminds me a bit of Glitch. And, I think I like it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game is definitely not Glitch, but it is certainly filling a space in my life...and now I have something to do in the slow times at work!  (but don't tell my boss I said that...)
  • Teehee!
    I was waiting for the junk to pop up again and I was jumping just for fun....
    And one of the migrated Glitchen (I recognized the name) saw me, and smiled, and jumped with me for a moment.

*sigh*
    I miss Glitch.
  • Hey wynella i'm not sure what the situation with quests is at the moment they're used to be a "Quests Emporium" where you could buy quests for trinkets it was in Canopia. However, a few weeks ago there was a massive revamp of many rooms to what they are now and that is the only shop to have disappeared with the update. If any of you are interested this is what the rooms used to look like until a few months ago (much, MUCH bigger) in this wikia I made http://tinkatollihelp.wikia.com/wiki/Canopia
    tinkatollihelp.wikia.com/wi...
    tinkatollihelp.wikia.com/wi...
    and on the main page you can see links to all the different types of to view info about like past seasonal events etc http://tinkatollihelp.wikia.com/wiki/Tinkatolli_Help_Wiki

Wynella, i'm also not sure about the current situation with the unusuals outlet it seems now they change it whenever they feel like it. It used to be there was a sign in there telling you when it will be re-stocked. This is what it used to look like to give you an idea http://tinkatollihelp.wikia.com/wiki/Unusuals_Outlet
  • @Biohazard: You are certainly not alone in that, my friend. :)

@iDylan: Oh wow. I see what Luke was saying about it used to be bigger! Was it strange for you to switch to such a smaller area? I really hope they continue to expand the game area. I want to go exploring! :D 

I may email support & ask about quests. I would very much like to do them. <3 quests. If/when I hear back, I'll post the answer back here. 
  • I'm wandering around as Munchma. I'm still missing Glitch in a bad way, but this is a small cute diversion. I have a room in my house with a floor completely covered with cotton balls. Not bad :) 
    Posted 11 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey Aleph! I've seen you around. I'll friend you next time I see you. :) 

I've spotted so many Glitchen there lately! It makes me happeh!
  • Wow- you are seeing others there? I must have been on at the wrong time.... Only non-Glitchen sightings, for the most part. Found it very cute at first: zingy music on landing spot (Blueberry hill). Cute options for your avatar, nice animations for the most part except a couple of glitches (the wrong kind). But....very repetitive, and just not enough, somehow. I decided to leave it yesterday.
    Posted 11 years ago by plou Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You're all welcome to come play in my work in progress battle station :P
    I'm PANsysnap on there.
    Posted 11 years ago by PANsy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • zowie, PANsy!
  • Wow PANsy, that is so neat looking! Hope to be able to see it in-game too. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just saw Wyneener after my first two minutes of play! I couldn't get chat to work until you were gone, though... Hope to see you again!
    Posted 11 years ago by Irrelephant Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am the Propagandist! See me there!
    Posted 11 years ago by Future Shock Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow yay!  No wonder I keep running into glitches!  :D  I've been playing for about a month... I'm glumpudding there, too.  The quests will supposedly come back soon.  In the mean time, I mostly play the 3UP mini-game, and when I tire of that, I run around collecting bling and junk. 
    Posted 11 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hello awesome people that are making this game really popular! Check out the latest update! newbodies, map and clothes etc http://www.cheatswhiz.com/tinkatolli/2013/01/tinkatolli-big-update-clothes-new-map-coins-and-more/
  • Sorry to hear it wasn't for you, plou. I hope you are able to find something to entertaining to play. :)

Oh my George, PANsy!!!! That is beautiful. I LOVE IT! They have TinkaPad's of the week, I wonder how we could submit yours....

Sorry, Irrelephant, I tend to be a bit skittish. heh. :) Now that I know who you are, I'll find & friend ya! :)

Thanks for the link, iDylan! I love the  NEW STUFF!! :D :D

ETA: Looks like they took away our somersaults & dances for the time being. Probably have to redo them for the new bodies. The new map overview & loading screen are sweet.