Topic

[TS Response Needed]

I apologize if this was posted before -- I looked but I wasn't able to find anything like it.  

I know a lot of people are doing projects to memoralize glitch -- not being the overly crafty type I was wondering would I be able to have a company recreate the 12-sided die, not for resale and they do small quantities--the site is www.customdice.com ; the 12-sided die is just one of my favorite items in game, and I'd love to have it in reality.  Is this allowed?  

Along the similar veins, I was also thinking about the creating emblems of the giants, and there's a site like Shapeways.com that uses 3-D printing that again, I could have it done cheaply for me.  Again, I'm not looking to make any money off of the assets, I just wanted the emblems for memorial purposes.  Is that allowed?  

This gets into some fuzzy areas, and I don't want to do anything to harm TS in anyway, shape, or form.

Thanks ! 

Posted 12 years ago by Serrenitei Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Ooh, I hope the answer is yes. I'd love a 12-sided die.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That would be a fantastic addition to my thousands of dice.  I want one (or 11) too!  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Nerd of Epic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *bump* because this is an important question!
    Posted 12 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It sounds like what you're asking for would fall under fair use as long as you didn't make anything for sale.

Given that Glitch is going away, I doubt there will be any organization with an appetite for the legal costs associated with copyright enforcement, but it seems presumptuous to ask them to grant you rights to the I.P. they created.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You're second sentence doesn't quite make sense.  But if you were implying that I was being presumptuous by asking whether something, in two very specific situations were OK, I'm not how else to find out.  There was nothing in there in me asking for I.P. rights - that's ridiculous. 

Secondly, Fair Use isn't clearly defined in cases like this, hence I asked.  There's no precedent to look towards in whether something like this falls under fair use.  Up until the last several years, the options I had questions about weren't widely available, custom one-off, non-commercial related production of any items was virtually unheard of.  Combined with the fact that it's only the last year (at most) that 3D printing has entered the scene, it muddied the already in muddled and contested fair-use.  

It makes far far more sense to ask for clarification and ensure no misunderstandings than assume that new technologies fall under aging and antiquated legislature that hasn't beenl vetted in this new world of custom production.  

And if TS comes back and says that they don't want to pursue either option - then that's the end of that.  At least myself and whoever else happens to read this post are unequivocally aware of TS's stance on the situation.
  • Several people have made posts like this before, asking for permission to use Glitch artwork for things. I've never seen TS respond to those posts at all, so I suspect they are suggesting that they won't sue, but I'm guessing the lawyers wouldn't allow giving permission for random use of their I.P.

Someone who was serious about trying to get rights to I.P. would approach them with a business proposition and attempt a licensing deal. Anyone else is probably safe under fair use (or a pirate).

If Tiny Speck gives the I.P. to anyone, I hope it will be to the programmers and artists who created it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Janitch, stoot actually did make a response here: http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/29712/308067/
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @TomC 
     Yeah, that post is in response to one of the projects I'm a part of (www.wherecanifindawoodtree.com) -- the key difference I wanted to make sure I was clear on was digital rights vs. physical rights.  Stoots initial response was in the ability to use assets in a digital aspect, and while other projects (non-commercial) can likely be assumed to be included in there, I wanted (and the dicemaker wanted) clear verification that this wouldn't violate any trademark/copyright issues :-) 
  • bump
  • I think you should contact TS directly - some artisans have said they've secured permission that way; your question seems a little more complicated.  It's clear stoot is prowling the forums to an extent, but without staff support I think you have a better chance of reaching to him by writing to him.   
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Oscarette - 

Thanks -- I shot him an In-game mail.  
  • Good luck!  (Also, I hate to say it, but with all this getting shut down you're probably better to have an email confirmation than a posted one.)   I would also read his response linked above as probable permission since you are not proposing selling *anything* - where some craftspeople are selling custom items - but as you say, having it personally manufactured is just a new category of okays. 
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've asked for permission on two separate occasions. The first was to have cubimals printed on some fabric on a website that does that, with no intention of resale. Stoot ok'ed this. The second request was to sell yeti hats based on the hat in the game. This was ok'ed as well.

Hope that helps!
    Posted 12 years ago by Yeti Spaghetti Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  I would love a 12-sided dice fingers cross the answer is yes.
    Posted 12 years ago by Swoooo Swoooodles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heard back from stoot - the answer was yes ... We just need to work out the logistics of things now.  The emblems are easy once we get the 3-D models created -- whoever wants one can go and have it made on demand.  

The Dice we'll have to figure out a way to do it.  Check out the Facebook group / WherecanIfindawoodtree.com as that's where I'll by trying to coordinate for the people who want dice.  

www.facebook.com/groups/307...
    wherecanIfindawoodtree.com