Topic

Rock guy at top = annoying

He is really annoying. I never want to read what he says. It is slow and not fun. Just teach me by letting me do things Remember Kings Quest? Very little guidance back then and people figured it out. A flashing object on the ground obviously suggests you can do something with it, so you click it.

Posted 13 years ago by green lantern horn Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• You need to slow down. Glitch isn't supposed to be a fast-paced game. You can't "win", so take your time and enjoy what you're doing instead of trying to fly through it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Soopa-Fresh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Soopa-fresh, I think you're missing glh's point. I consider the rock's "banter" to be slow, and I don't mean because I'm trying to fly through the game, but because I have to keep clicking without having any interest in what the rock is saying. He's saying let it be intuitive.
    Posted 13 years ago by Delphin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with this in situations where the rock forces you to go through a dialogue before accepting a quest, for example. I also consider the rock to be a bit wordy at times. He's not as funny as he thinks.
    Posted 13 years ago by Dr. Pennypop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • He reminds me of Clippy.
    Posted 13 years ago by Timmy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, the Rock can be very persistent at inconvenient times. But I find his banter hilarious :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I find it funny that you all think the Rock is a BOY. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Atalanta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i could live with or without the rock.

personally, i'd prefer more in game "documents" to peruse, documents with character!

but the rock is okay. I like the animations a lot, and the light rays. dialogue less so but it is okay.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the rock is much easier to deal with than he used to be, remember the older discussions? That medication is doing wonders. But the quests do come so frequently now, he can seem intrusive.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the rock. SHE is my friend.
    Posted 13 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the rock is one of the best parts of the game. Dialogs could be a little shorter (maybe 1/3rd shorter?), but I think the rock adds a ton of personality to the world.
    Posted 13 years ago by charliepark Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I think the rock is one of the best parts of the game. Dialogs could be a little shorter (maybe 1/3rd shorter?), but I think the rock adds a ton of personality to the world."

This is my view as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm smelling what the rock is cooking. But to each their own. Perhaps there should be a rock-block setting.
    Posted 13 years ago by Capybara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also enjoy the rock. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Acquila Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish the Rock was a bit more personal. I know it's saying all the same things for me as it's saying for other people. Sometimes I wish it would say, Hey Sasson! I'll give you 100XP if you go help this person who's stuck on [quest] in [place].
    Posted 13 years ago by Sasson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I, too, sort of dig the rock. I wish he was more helpful sometimes... see comments about easy cooking (not so easy) and making buns....
    Posted 13 years ago by Andi Handipants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like having the Rock there for when I need to get clarification on a quest, or to inform me when I've achieved something. I can deal with one or two short interruptions, and it's not too bad now, but I'd like to see slightly fewer dialog boxes to churn through.

I've also been skill leveling a lot without playing the game. It's a bit tedious when I get six quest notifications all at once.

I love the idea of making it more personal as Sasson suggested. I'd totally be up for more group quests or helping other players do stuff.
    Posted 13 years ago by Dean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the rock but I can see how he can be annoying to some.

Perhaps keep his hilarious dialog, but add a "Skip to the good stuff" button.
    Additionally, a "Hide Me" button would be great too so he isn't hogging up the space on the top of my screen when I don't need him.
    Posted 13 years ago by Austang Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We're always working on the overall flow of the game, and improving ways to communicate with players. I'd expect adjustments to quests, notifications, and perhaps even rock placement by the time we get to beta. This kind of feedback is helpful, so keep it coming.
    Posted 13 years ago by jdawg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rock feedback:

Where did the rock come from? I've been born into a world where I want to help giants imagine more. I'm partnered with a rock who, in turn, helps me help the giants. Did the giants choose rocks to be our conduits to them?

Why a rock? In the Glitch world, we find rocks and mine them. Can those rocks turn into conduits for the giants too? Might not be something that is front-of-mind for Glitchies but the storyline rationalisation is strange.

Is the rock my friend? Or an impersonal conduit? Or the voice of the giants? Does it bond with me at all? Is my rock friends with other Glitchies' rocks? Do our rocks communicate with each other? Is its #1 goal to help the giants imagine more? If so, would it point me in the direction of street projects and other projects? OK that's enough for now. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Sasson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think she's great. She's horribly punny and aware of it in a quite meta way. And I actually enjoyed reading through the stuff the first time (although now that I've been through a few resets, I don't read it as closely (like the way you actually read the dialogue in the first Pokémon game you owned, but haven't read it recently because it's all the same (yes, there are a lot of nested parentheses here (())))). That being said, I think the banter is quite useful for newcomers. However, I think the new skills text is a bit too long.
    Posted 13 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's a rock because it's your pet rock: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock

Glitch pet rocks actually do a lot more than the original pet rock, so there's that.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the rock looks a little bit like Rachel Maddow when she's wearing the glasses.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • maybe Rock is trying to gain street spirit status, and as she helps us, she'll level up too, slowly transforming into a street spirit!
    Posted 13 years ago by Jaen Padryga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I enjoyed him and his witty comments actually. It gives you a relate-able character of sorts to tie you to the mundane screen of logs and stats and whatnot. I think that might appeal to a larger audience than to have to summarize it all into fact sheets; colorful as they might be.
    Posted 13 years ago by Daavpuke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the rock, though I think he shouldn't be shining normally.
    Posted 13 years ago by Edgar Subscriber! | Permalink