Topic

New Map

It's still a heavy work in progress, but I'm trying to unify the various "new" maps:

imgur.com/nhGBW.jpg

Let me know what you think! I'm going to be adding symbols for:

- Street Spirits
- Shrines
- Other Vendors

For those interested, it's all done in Photoshop, and it's a vectorization of the various map images (by hand, tyvm...real men use the pen tool). The font is DIN Round OT Bold. Like I said, it's largely incomplete (I still need to draw in Ix and Uralia, plus a little bubble for the Ilmenskie Caves), but I think you get the idea.

Posted 14 years ago by Soopa-Fresh Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Also, when it's done, I'm going to do something like SpryMap to get it to be all mappy and delicious:

candrews.net/sandbox/spryMap/

I estimate that at the current rate of street addition, the map is going to be HUGE by the time the beta is released.
  • I am loving the maps! I am big on context in real-life wayfinding, if I need to get somewhere, so this really helps. Even the hint of where things join up is useful.
    Posted 14 years ago by Chelseathing Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope once the map gets big they add a way to get around like trains/cars/planes/ect.
    Posted 14 years ago by Glitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm excited that you say that you'll be adding mapping for street vendors, as I find that I spent quite a bit of time wandering around trying to find them when I needed something. HOWEVER... I would be cautious about the maps getting too bulky... maybe symbols with a key? Or would that be too complex for the average user...
    Posted 14 years ago by Andi Handipants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • agreed with Andi. I almost would rather people be allowed to mark up a basic map they way he/she likes best.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nanookie/Andi: I was thinking about doing something more like what Google does by letting you turn layers on/off. It's going to just be one big ball of fun.
  • ietherpad.com/Umo9KJTy5H
  • Soopa--yes, I like that. Google (Glitchle?) type mapping would be great, but they let you customize personally too. I created one for the itinerary for my trip to Japan next spring and it was awesome to add a pikachu icon to the Pokemon center in Tokyo.

I would love to create several maps like that, not just a practical vendor location one, but maybe one I could share one that tells a story about my life in Glitch (I died here, my first ever house, etc) .
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi guys
    I took a couple of hours to prototype this: glitchmap.li-ping.com/demo....

@Soopa-Fresh: I took your map without permission, I hope you don't mind!

It's a quick and dirty proto, but this map idea definitely has potential!
    The markers are defined using a Google Docs spreadsheet so it's possible to have a list of community-maintained landmarks and possibly your own annotations.

PS: It's running off my cheap shared hosting account, and the map tiles are NOT optimised for size. Apologies if it's slow.
    Posted 14 years ago by ping Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ping: Awesome! I've got a lot more packed on it for the next iteration (Ix, the mines, Uralia, etc.).

I have some (freaking awesome) hosting, so let me know if you want me to throw it up on my box(es).

Some ideas: I'd like to make a Github for this; I'm going to be upgrading my account in the next month or so, so I'll have enough private Githubs to pull this in. That will probably be a very good thing. Next, this is probably a good idea to start interfacing with the Tiny Speck guys and giving feedback on their APIs and whatnot. In the IEtherpad above, I'll create a section for feature requests. Toss in any ideas that you might have.

I'd like to have something oAuth-y that we can say "Hey, login and we'll show you where you are", where your friends are, maybe show statuses using clustering, etc. etc. This could become a neat little dashboard that I think a lot of people could get some use out of.

Anyway, thanks again ping! Sorry it took so long to respond, I was out of the country. More work to follow soon.
  • "I'd like to have something oAuth-y that we can say "Hey, login and we'll show you where you are", where your friends are, maybe show statuses using clustering, etc. etc."

showing where you are is possible, but retrieving information about other people is seemingly not possible.

api.alpha.glitch.com/
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @striatic: Is Tiny Speck handing out Client IDs at the moment?

@Soopa-Fresh: I don't have any Git experience (just svn) so this is will be a nice opportunity to explore. Maybe we should take this convo out of the Forum? A Glitch Hacks / API group like Flickr Hacks / API?
    Posted 14 years ago by ping Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ping - i don't know. why don't you try asking for one?

and i think for now having API discussions in the forums will work, so long as it is just one topic. advantage? other developers might stumble across the discussions, whereas in the current group framework they'd be rather hidden.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just a quick update. No, they aren't handing out Client IDs. Asked jdawg in-game in the last test.
    Posted 13 years ago by ping Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ping, great map! Can you add Street View? ;-)
    Posted 13 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • FrankenPaula: lol :)

Re the API: we will turn some attention to it soon – probably in January.

And, the *new* new maps that we get to use are even better. Haven't added more dynamic data yet (but you can expect that we'll add the ability to toggle on/off your friends' locations and eventually let you add your own notes). But we have added something even better …
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot: will that awesome addition be in the next test?

Any ideas about Quarter maps? E.g. Flick a switch and see all of the Quarter streets in a location style...?
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Speaking of Quarters, my house appears to be on a different street than it used to be. In fact, the real estate listings do not have any houses on my old street. Doon Way Quarter North, I think it was. It seems that I now own a place in Tii Quarter. I guess I'll find out what's going on pretty soon when the weekend test starts!
    Posted 13 years ago by Amy Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ha - looks like I've been moved to a new Quarter, too, from Ti to Pasha's!
    Posted 13 years ago by zeeberk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Indeed, I've been moved as well, to Estevan Meadows Quarter -- to a house with a really really large house number.

I chose my street in part because of its name, and in part because of its location. I wonder if all our stuff moved along with our house.
    Posted 13 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmm, maybe its just the Realty and house pages that are acting strange, but in-game it's all as it was. Hopefully.

UPDATE: On further inspection, the treehouse houses seem to be on just either Pasha's Quarter or Tii Quarter. No West/East either. Perhaps it's just those streets that have GIANT quarters now. Hmm.
  • 3146 Pasha's Quarter, there had better be an elevator! Or at least a really bouncy trampoline.
    Posted 13 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
    Posted 13 years ago by Alexis Hex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, good question about teleportation -- if my street no longer exists, and I had my teleportation stop set there, will it be reset to the newly-assigned street? Questions, questions, questions....
    Posted 13 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ^ I don't think so - my friend had set her landing point to Groddle Heights Quarter Showcase a while back, but she was able to teleport there even though the street was removed from the public, & all the streets of the future Groddle Heights (which was not available to unlock yet) were linked to it - a dev had to kick her out ;)
  • Hm, this map seen on fuckyeahkukubee.tumblr.com/, looks cool and all, but way too WoW for my taste (doesn't seem very Glitchish): goo.gl/ls49y What do you think?

I'm more of a fan of this type of map: goo.gl/Qgv2E (seems much more Glitchesque).