Topic

RAM usage

Been playing the game on my new MacBook Air (2.16 Ghz Dualcore / 4 GB RAM) in Firefox. Within half an hour of play time ram usage in firefox rises from 200 MB to 1 GB, and soon it will reach 1.5 GB and 2 GB! Is this just default Flash stuff or could the game be optimized? It makes it run real slow here and requires a browser reboot.

Posted 13 years ago by Jacob Bøtter Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I recall Stoot saying they're gonna start 'optimising the crap out of it [the game]' in the near future, a few tests back.
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They still have traces in the app which slows down flash a lot - i'm sure they're doing other optimizing as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by quoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch ate up over 4 gigs for me on my Macbook/Safari during the weekend test
    and over 2 gigs today, at an alarming rate. (inspecting my garden may have made it worse)

Hburger suggested reloading the browser window, which eventually let me have today's gigs back.

In fact, at no time did I have a smooth frame rate or decent response to my clicks. It was more like click, wait for the click to be registered, and then wait for my avatar to shuffle in starts and stops across the scene.

sadmaking.

But, this kind of memory issue would not work well in a beta release, so I'm sure devs will give it some attention soon.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jaen Padryga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have the same macbook air, and this game is the one thing that makes it go crazy! I know the relationship between the air and flash is notoriously bad though, so I don't think it's just Glitch. I hear the new macbook air optimized version of flash is in beta now, but I haven't looked into it, and I don't know if it will improve the ram issues in addition to the battery life issues.
    Posted 13 years ago by Amy Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Seems like this is a problem with the Air. I am playing on a fairly old system with 2 GB RAM, and I haven't had any problems.
    Posted 13 years ago by Don Juan Quixote Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Don, it's not an Air specific problem. I've got 8GB of RAM in a brand new MBP and had issues. Garbage collection problems should be visible across any machine as they're all using the same Flash VM.
    Posted 13 years ago by Garfunkmaster Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It seems like things got a lot worse in the last few weeks and we're looking in to why. It ised to take an hour to creep up in to the 500-600MB range, whereas now that's the starting point and I've seen it over 1GB within 30 minutes of play.

Like Garfunkmaster, I think it is probably not Air-specific. However, Flash performance is extremely variable across different systems, chipsets, caches, kernel versions and innumerable other variables, mostly non-obvious or invisible or even magical. It's certainly possible that performance is even worse on an Air.

In any case, performance *will* get better. But it might be a while. And in the meantime, the best advice we have is (1) use something other than your main browser for the game (this makes a really big difference – if you don't have bunch of tabs open with youtube videos and other games and google docs and facebook and blah blah, the game will run much faster) and (2) restart the browser once in a while.

(In addition, making the game window smaller will make it much faster as well: the smaller the area the renderer has to handle, the faster it can handle it.)
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Has anyone else had their browser crash completely when you attempt to close or reload the game? (That's horrible grammar, isn't it?)
    Posted 13 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Turns out there probably are some Air-specific problems with Flash (perhaps to do with Air-specific kernel or OS modifications for power management) and some fixes will be in Flash 10.2.

You can download the 10.2 beta right here: labs.adobe.com/downloads/fl... (and, as always, we really appreciate it when people download and install the debugger version of the Flash player since that enables us to automatically capture a bunch of performance and error information – scroll down the page a bit to find a version for your OS).
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ok, i'm ready with the 10.2 debugger!
    let's see how it goes.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jaen Padryga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oops, nevermind, missed the thread about 10.2
    Posted 13 years ago by quoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • [redacted]
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink