Topic

Does Glitch like Flash 10.2 Beta?

Does it work/will it make a difference? Btw, I like the sound of up to 85% less CPU usage.

www.macstories.net/mac/adob...

Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• It would be more difficult for the devs to know if bugs are from their programming or Adobe's. The 85% wouldn't matter much for me cuz I'm usually not active on anything other than glitch while testing.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll be trying it out on the next test.
    I've already pushed updates to my server and all of the linked machines...so we'll see.

So far 10.2 is a dream - runs 720/1080 in fullscreen on Linux on a 5yr-old machine with no problems...no stuttering, etc. I have never been able to do that before.
    I am one happy user.
    Posted 13 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So far, Glitch really loves 10.2.

It's a bit slower, but we really appreciate people installing the 10.2 debugger version since then we get all kinds of automated performance and error reporting for free when they use it. You can download it here: labs.adobe.com/downloads/fl...
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @stoot - As soon as I get my new RAM I will gladly install the new debugging one. Until then I have to stay with regular or else my computer is slllooooowwwww.
  • I want to get 10.2, but I'm confused. Since Google Chrome (my main browser) already has a Flash plugin built-in, if I download 10.2, will that override Chrome's flash? Would I be able to go back/uninstall it if it fails (such as, the game won't start)? Would it give me the ability to play in Safari (for what Stoot said "use something other than your main browser"). Overall, is the experience with 10.2 beta better? Finally, I like to screen-record gameplay using Quicktime, which slows down Glitch a lot. Will 10.2 better cope with this?
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Hburger - It WILL replace the current plugin that Chrome uses, but that's not a bad thing.
    In fact, Chrome usually looks to wherever else on your system Flash is being used (Firefox/Safari/Etc) and uses the same one, updating it automatically as needed. Although, you're on a Mac and I'm not totally up-to-date on closed-source software. :P

You should just be able to backup the current version of libflashplayer and then replace it if needed. Or just uninstall the beta, and reinstall the original. Chrome should take care of the rest.

It's a little easier in Linux. I just put libflashplayer.so into the /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins/ folder and it works immediately.
  • Not sure if it is related, but I'm getting far more token error/reloads with the debug client than the previous version of flash.

Have been trying for 10 m in to get back in.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jaen Padryga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jaen - that's typical.

After running a couple of hours with Flash 10.2 the other day, my experience is as follows:
    Memory issues were WAY worse. It would jump straight up to around 1GB of memory (almost 100% of my available memory) after only 10-15min. However, the interface was a lot more responsive, and there were less problems with lag and such. But loading a new street, or opening the game for the first time almost always crashed my browser.

Although, the new Flash is still in Beta, and Glitch is in Alpha...so I don't really expect much more than that.
  • To anyone using Chrome, I suggest not upgrading to 10.2, because it causes you to not be able to drag things.
    Posted 13 years ago by Houdini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My views:
    Flash 10.2 debug on firefox with MAC 10.6.5: I did not get to leave the game open for more than 1.5 hour at a time because I had a doctor's appointment and had to run to the house of a friend who had a hard drive failure, but the game seemed to be much faster. The only "issues" I had was once i became unable to move my character using the keyboard and another time a mining action didn't fully finish (although i think that was my fault).

So, 10.2 debug seems to be running fine for me for 1.5 consecutive hours.
    Posted 13 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I didn't have time to update this weekend, but I found performance to be much better in general - were performance enhancements added? or is my laptop just behaving itself this weekend?
    Posted 13 years ago by quoo Subscriber! | Permalink