Topic

level numbers above heads = sucks

in order to establish instant visual pecking order? why?

if you want people to know who the new players are, in order to help them out, cool, but you only need to mark 1st level players [maybe up to 5th or so] as "Fresh".

i'm rather disappointed with this. it's like a competitive leaderboard forced into the game, and not everyone wants to play glitch that way.

Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Don't freak out! It is just temporary, in today's test.
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I saw that it did help people find others in terms of questing easier. I don't know if that could be a factor or not, though I am inclined to believe the interwebz spouts a lot of dickery from numbers being higher than other; this is true.
    Posted 13 years ago by Daavpuke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • just temporary = awesome

the level based newbie quest is good tho.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i appreciated the level numbers because one of the quests was to give something to 5 different level 1 people. @striatic is this what you're talking about, too?

couldn't find level 1 people to give stuff to! ok, i found 2, but their bags were all full. *pout*

didn't really think it was a pecking order thing. also, you could immediately see if someone might be more experienced in the game if you needed to ask for help.
    Posted 13 years ago by Alexis Hex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't like the numbers, either.

What if the newbies were "green" in some way? Could even be shrubberies or flowers growing on them.
    Posted 13 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the idea of "fresh" or some sort of vague alert that a player is newish. I like to give noobs gifts, and I cut them slack when they yoink something from under my nose. (Level 27 dude, I'm glaring at you.)
    Posted 13 years ago by Helcat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "What if the newbies were "green" in some way? Could even be shrubberies or flowers growing on them. "

I like this! or maybe they're running around in half hatched eggs? could be cute!
    Posted 13 years ago by quoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would also prefer a non-numerical indicator, but for a different reason. I hurtled myself at a Level 1 yesterday, but I didn't have my reading glasses on and after I announced my desire to be her benefactor, I realized she was actually a Level 11.

If avatars could blush....although I did get a new friend out of it.

But give the old folks a break will ya? The chat font is punishing enough.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I actually kind of liked it, although it was a little difficult on my eyes, especially if there were a lot of players on the screen. The non-numerical indicators are a cute idea, but I also think a mini profile would be useful too. Like a little glitch ID with your name, address, groups, religion, favorite/most eaten food & drink, etc. I think with glitch the character levels are less competitive since there isn't any combat in the game (so far?).
    Posted 13 years ago by Mursock Subscriber! | Permalink