Topic

Bar across the top: Thoughts

I like it, the new energy meter especially. Mood meter seems a little small, but I guess mood isn't as important as energy. The only thing I don't particularly like is the currants being shown at the bottom left - it seems to take up space where inventory slots could be used. Hmmm.

UPDATE: A screenshot of the new UI for those who missed the last test:

i.imgur.com/M12aK.png (Also, see the dropdown menu on the top right of the screen)

(This is the old UI: i.imgur.com/wuP1N.png )

Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Looks good to me. I think there's more than enough inventory at the bottom with the currants there as well. Love the numbers on the energy meter, can we get numbers on the mood meter now too? That'd be great! Thanks.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cap'n Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like the icons for bugs, help and volume controls. clean and simple to use.
    The pop-up window for bug reporting is also a plus. I have a memory like a sieve so I was always popping back and forth from the game trying to recall where I was and how it was spelt before things went a little hooey.
    The player profile on the side with the drop down menu is also most welcome. Not too intrusive, but handy for quick checks and changes.
    Nice
    Now if I could only get the +1 off my nose and the +5 off the top of my head. ;)
    Posted 13 years ago by caley dunn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love what you've done to the energy meter! I had to look twice for my currants, but now I know where they are I'm not too distressed by them moving. Good job.
    Posted 13 years ago by icerunner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had the same bug as caley dunn. The new energy meter is easier to read, but now seems out of sync with the mood meter. Any way to make them consistent? I like the new currant display.

I like the menu in the top right, very handy. Maybe add realty, leaderboards, and encyclopedia?
    Posted 13 years ago by Quintus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • mood isn't as important as energy, so the meter is smaller. i like that.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Every time I got extra points with a shrine it would float over my head. +100, +20, +30, etc floating all over the screen until restarting.
    Posted 13 years ago by Johnny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Almost forgot
    This time buying and selling was a major pain because of the pop-up boxes. The transaction box remained behind inventory box, whether the stores, or my own, when selling. I had to close the inventory box to properly complete the transaction.
    Didn't operate like this in previous tests.
    Posted 13 years ago by caley dunn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the changes too, but keep finding that my rock is in the way of reading things. Maybe he needs to relocate to someplace other then the top/center of the screen?
    Posted 13 years ago by Zana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Didn't operate like this in previous tests."

i think the devs fixed that mid way through today's test .. but it required a reload of the game page to manifest to individual players.
  • I had the same problem as caley dunn when trying to purchase items from the vendors.
    Posted 13 years ago by Skylla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The energy indicator is much improved. I used to hover my mouse over the indicator once in a while to check the level. But now the amount is just right there. :)

I don't mind having the currants at the bottom. It's definitely of less importance in this game compared to everything else. The bug report button on the top is good. I'm not so sure I liked the wording "Sign Out" under the dropdown menu. I didn't know if that might log me out of the site... so I just close the browser window.
    Posted 13 years ago by nightning Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Loves it!!!
    I don't, however, care for the currant counter at the bottom. Personally, I'd rather have all the game vitals at the top like a HUD.
    Posted 13 years ago by Spencer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Have to agree with nightning - I was reluctant to sign out from the new menu in case it signed me right out of the game. Just closed the browser window, but then didn't get the questions to answer which I usually get.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cassandria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there a screenshot anywhere for those of us who missed the test?
    Posted 13 years ago by Amy Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ha! Of course I've taken screenshots of it... ;)

i.imgur.com/M12aK.png (Also, see the dropdown menu on the top right of the screen)

i.imgur.com/iQlzA.png

(This is the old UI: i.imgur.com/wuP1N.png )

Update: Yay, this forum topic was tweeted by Glitch: goo.gl/SJQ9E :D
  • Great so far (and have not found many bugs). Shame we cannot learn new skills while the game play id down! Loving these recent changes but I would like to see the currants as part of the overall info at the top of the screen.
    Posted 13 years ago by Baggins Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love it! Clean design, love the easily readable energy meter. Would love if the mood meter were equally sized, and if the currants were back up there.

Next can we tackle inventory please? :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Captain Starbuck Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like it all around, whenever I want to know my currant count I'm looking at my inventory anyway, and the energy meter is FAR easier to read at a glance now
    Posted 13 years ago by Turm Smizzack Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like it! Although I agree with others in that the currants should have been at the top as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by Shieldmaiden Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the new bar, especially that I don't have to mouse-over the energy indicator. I do think it's a little odd that the happiness indicator remained the same.

It took me a few seconds to find the currant readout, but it makes sense to that near the items bars.

I like the right-hand topbar, especially the player menu pop-outs.

However, the UI doesn't feel as visually unified as the previous version, despite individual improvements across the board.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ozu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Baggins: You can continue learning a skill, even when the game is off. Next test, remember to get a new skill learning (a really long one!) just before the game shuts! :D
  • i guess i should give my feedback here.

new energy dial -- rocks. numbers more visible and easier to tell when the meter is near the max and min points. i felt like i had a much better awareness of topping off energy and of any approaching energy death.

new mood face -- rocks. smaller means it articulates its relative importance compared to energy better. after the last influx of new players i think a bunch were needlessly stressing over their mood because it was so prominent. mood is important, but i feel it is more of an advanced gameplay thing since it is so tied to XP now.

dropdown -- love it. the more links the better. i was growing tired of keeping the home page open in the second tab as a kind of nav bar. this solves that. maybe add realty link, since people ask for that so much? and maybe change "Sign Out" to "Leave the World" if that indeed better reflects the behaviour of the link.

currant counter -- people were missing this in the earlier test and something needed to change. the new placement works better but may have been a bit much for a first step. i'd like to see a test with the new "currants symbol" up top and see if that fixes the new player issue without anything so drastic as moving currants to the pack. i think the reason i prefer the previous placement is because it keeps all the "rapidly changing status" in one place to monitor, and because so often currants = energy. so i'll see low energy and want to just glance over and see how much money i have to buy food for the energy i need.

everything else -- better cosmetically. no real impact on function except the "bug" is much more easily read as a bug instead of a weird pink blob.

all in all, great changes. every one an improvement, even though i think the currant counter could still be better.
  • The bar looks very neat. I was confused at the currants not being there though. The drop down menu is fine.
    Posted 13 years ago by Space Teacake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I liked all of the improvements. My thoughts are along the same lines as what striatic said. All in all great job devs!!!!
    Posted 13 years ago by Jade Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The second ui top bar is much better. It visually shows that the tied to the user.
    Posted 13 years ago by halle_Africa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the new UI design, particularly the built-in bug report system. My only quibble is that it should be a general built-in feedback system, either for bugs, recommendations, or specific comments.

Personally I prefer my money to be near the rest of my stats, as I'm used to that in games. I also agree with the comments above that the mood display should also be metered, like the energy display.
    Posted 13 years ago by RobotGymnast Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like the new design, especially the energy meter and the drop down menu. The only thing I'm not liking so much is moving the currants to the bottom. I think there's enough space for it to fit up top - the bottom with the inventory is already a really busy area of the screen.

Great job all around though! :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Elienne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I realy like the new bar at the top. specialy the menu on the right. Now is easier find audictions. I just miss the real state listing on this menu
    Posted 13 years ago by Amora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are audictions addictive auctions?
    Posted 13 years ago by Plurp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It makes sense for currants to be at the bottom with the inventory.
    Posted 13 years ago by Qorquet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love it! The new bar at the top is great, much cleaner. Currants are great down at the bottom - but I don't mind them up top. Wish I could open multiple 'bags' at once in my inventory. Earlier person's comment suggested you add number to the mood meter... it's a good idea - I'd like that too.
    Posted 13 years ago by Bella Novella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great changes! I like being able to see the Energy level represented numerically as well. Very clean and overall "attractive" design.
    Posted 13 years ago by Dabby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with almost everything Striatic said:
    I like the new energy meter. I like that the mood meter is simple and doesn't have numbers because it doesn't matter as much. I like the new dropdown menu

However, I think the currant counter is good at the bottom. I guess it depends on how you play. When I start running low on energy, I start cooking some food, therefore my currants are less important. I just care about currants when I start trying to buy something like a house or a new bag or something.

The currant counter might be one of those things that people will just have to accept wherever it is, regardless of whether that's at the top or the bottom.
    Posted 13 years ago by Perchik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the new redesign that went through! While I missed the test, I appreciate the comparison shots posted in the OP.

The new bar seems a lot more 'built-in' than the last one. Before, it just seemed like a plug-in game that sat on the website, now it looks almost like it's own environment that you just ran into: definitely a good choice that no other game I know of can pull off properly :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Azyure Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I preferred the new look.

It was less cluttered I felt, and a bit more clear to understand.

Also I really liked the the menu that the second one had. It was a convenient to way to check my things, skills, friends, ect.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tog Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I definitely prefer the newer bar, but like some others I agree that the current count should be at the top. I would also like to see the time in a different color - the black before gave it some contrast and made it stand out.

Can't wait until the next test!
    Posted 13 years ago by Dave Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How do we get the performance stats in the lower right corner? The FPS feedback would be useful sometimes...
    Posted 13 years ago by Mo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • MO, hold q then press p.
  • The changes done to the UI are an improvement. The upper left, the dropdown, currants close to the inventory are all things I like.
    I have never paid much attention to currants and therefore like for them to be in a less prominent spot. But I can see why people dislike that change if currants are a big part of their game play (striatic mentioned currants to him mean energy).
    However, I have been missing the bag information (name of bag, open slots) at least once while playing. No big deal, though, I'm sure I can adjust to that.
    The date and time could look nicer in my opinion.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "less prominent spot"

is being in the bag a more or less prominent spot?
  • Well, considering the fact, that in most parts of this world people start reading at the top left of a page, I'd say that is a more prominent spot than bottom left.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks striatic!
    Posted 13 years ago by Mo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hm .. i actually find the bottom most prominent. i don't think the top left rule really applies when it comes to the current interface.

for one, when it was top left before, a bunch of new testers missed it entirely. but moved to the pack, no one reported missing it.

so in practical testing, the top left placement was proven to be less prominent than in the pack. how people read text on a page in a book can not always be applied to how people "read" a user interface.
  • I'm going from the .png rather than play-testing, but I think the number in the mood meter makes it much easier to gauge when a character is full. I didn't see the currants listing until it was pointed out in this thread, but I think I'd get used to it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Quanta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love the new energy meter, love the new mood meter, but I prefer the currants upper left with every other piece of information. Particularly now when we're making sure we get all of our rewards, etc.--it would be easier to have it all in one place rather than look in two.
    Posted 13 years ago by Herp Derp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It took an hour of so playing to get used to, but the revamped layout makes sense - especially the Currents at the bottom with the other "tangibles." I love the larger meter for Energy. The Drop-down menu is also a big win, though I only used it to log out so far.
    Posted 13 years ago by Yeoman Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love the energy, just think mood could be changed to match :)
    Posted 13 years ago by BurningHell Subscriber! | Permalink