Topic

Who I am, and what I can offer to keep Glitch alive.

I am max_champlin. Most of you don't know me on Glitch, but I know a ton that do. I have played this game for awhile now and have had so many awesome experiences. I have formed a group that is in the top three pages of popular groups. I have helped many glitchen I did not know because it felt rite.Now with the threat of all that just up and vanishing, and all the post on the forums about this that and the other, I decided to put up or shut up. I am listing what I have and will do for Glitch to stay alive. Please help by adding what you have and will offer.Maybe with enough of us the Giants will hear us and figure out some plan B that works for all of us!  

I can offer a computer (p4 1Gb RAM, 250GB HDD) for hosting of shards of the glitch code, database and whatever else. I also have various network based certifications and degrees. That being said I would offer that knowledge for free to help others host shards of the game.

Posted 12 years ago by max_champlin Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• If u could give us a brief list of things that might me useful it would be helpful for those of us who don't know computerese. Thanx Max :)
    Posted 12 years ago by LanaLoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lana, just whatever you are good at, sales, baking muffins to raise money to help cover server costs, anything! I am good with computers and networking them, so I offer that and a place for part of the game to live. It's just what you can and would do to help if TS decides to release the game to us as a player base. Because of the awesome that is this game, it takes a large amount of both people and resources to run it. So i figure I will start a  list of what we have, present it to TS and see where the future takes us. I am hopeful that the future includes a long stroll through Ur.
  • I'm one of many who would surely be willing to donate money to keep Glitch open! I honestly wouldn't mind at all if it went to a subscription model (first month free and then, say, a $5 a month payment to play). I'd rather pay to play Glitch than have it disappear.
    Posted 12 years ago by tozoku Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My hubby has a Tor hidden services server and is an expert on cyber security. Don't know how that/he can help but he's told me he'll happily volunteer.
    Posted 12 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would be happy to pay a monthly subscription fee to keep Glitch. I've subscribed in the past not because I wanted subscriber goodies, but simply because I wanted TS to have my money, so I have no problem with a monthly fee to be able to play.

Also if TS started a Kickstarter or any other kind of donation drive, I would be happy to donate my meager arting talents to raise money! Maybe $10 for a sketch of your Glitch?
    Posted 12 years ago by Sterne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank u for the reply Max. I quilt so would be happy to make raffle quilts. I can also organize a bake sale and if anyone else lives in my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) maybe we could collaborate. Maybe people in other cities can do the same? I had planned on subscribing when my trial subscription was up so I would pay a month fee too.
    Posted 12 years ago by LanaLoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm an artist. My day job is making and selling original jewelry- I could make some things to help raise money. I also have a brown belt in photoshop and have done a little bit of vector graphics work (mostly in illustrator but also a little in flash).

ETA: I also live in DFW and would love to collaborate with anyone in the area!
    Posted 12 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't think my computer would be much use to TS but I'd pay $50 per month to keep Glitch alive and donate to any donation drive as well.
    Posted 12 years ago by Reni's Mum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will my kidneys cover the cost of keeping the game running for a while?
    Posted 12 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks all for the offers! remember to tell all the glitches you know about this We need to make sure they hear us, We will not go quietly into the night!!!!
  • Surely there's a multi-millionaire in his bat cave out there who plays Glitch and can take pity on our plight?!

:(
    Posted 12 years ago by Kittywitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heck yeah!  Kidneys, heart, liver, money.  Whatever it takes.
    Posted 12 years ago by Andrasia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If it purely a bottom line financial question - could someone from TS let us know the ongoing maintenance costs?

Management buyout - maybe not but it feels better to explore options.

I would happily pay a monthly sub but it would be good to know how many and how much targets.

Shares in Even Tinier Speck anyone? :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Sonneratti Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i can't think of any time i've ever said this (hell, i was against netflix raising their prices and even the subway increasing by a dime) but i would gladly stick around to support glitch monetarily as a subscriber-only game. for sure.
    Posted 12 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bake sales and quilts and offers of computers are very sweet and earnest offers to keep the game open.  
    A more useful option would be kidnapping/brainwashing/seducing and/or befriending an incredibly rich person to swoop in for salvation.

That being said, I am all short skirts, f*ck-me heels and knock-out drops to the local watering hole tonight.  Wish me luck!
    Posted 12 years ago by mightywench Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I couldnt agree more......I would definitely donate anything they would ask of me...to.keep Glitch alive!!  Is there life after Glitch?  it all seems so bland.....:( so sad
    Posted 12 years ago by Monkeygirl♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd gladly up my subscription to molybdenum right now and add an additional donation to a kickstarter type project to keep Glitch going.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Rusty the Sismanaut Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The game costs roughly 500k / month in its current state. The real problem is the way it's been designed and built. It needs to be migrated to a platform that isn't a dying breed. Flash is appalling, takes tonnes of maintenance and space, and has so many errors. IF they release the source code, then i personally will analyse and rewrite it all in a more viable platform. Anyone who has skills and knowledge that can help is welcome to join me. I know it's a huge game with lots of functionality, and i'm in full time education and most people on here work, so it won't be quick. But if we can get our hands on the source code, i and others like me, will bring this game back. 

Similarly, i have tonnes of storage space for user data, and money enough to buy hosting platforms. My knowledge of server mechanics is lacking, so i'd need help once it had been converted and was a more concise, streamlined and maintainable version of the game code. 

If there are enough people out there with the knowledge, the money or the technology, then let me know. I'll spend the rest of the time we have making a plan and trying to get the source code. 

I can't make any promises, but i hope beyond hope the developers hear our pleas and release all the information we need recreate this game ourselves. The idea of glitch was creativity, and that is exactly what i plan to be.
    Posted 12 years ago by eclipse666 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was subscriber and I am willing to donate some money again. 
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink