Topic

I don't think it was just the money

I may be confused .. I just don't think it's the money.. Stoot said "And, given the prevailing technological trends — the movement towards mobile and especially the continued decline of the Flash platform on which Glitch was built — it was unlikely to do so before its time was up. Glitch was very ambitious and pushed the limits of what could be done in a browser-based game ... and then those limits pushed back."

Glitch might have continued for another 6 months, a year.. but doesn't that statement say that technology is moving too fast for the platform that Glitch was built on.  To continue such a game a HUGE following would be required and it's not coming here because mobile devices are what people are using.  He's pulling the plug before we get in even deeper making the demise even harder to bear.

This news comes at an especially bad time for me as I am still reeling from the impact of Sandy in my area.  Although, I was one of the lucky ones and hardly had any loss, I am but 5 short miles from where total devastation has occurred.  GLITCH has been my rock and my escape from realty during these last few weeks and will be ever so missed. 

I think the next game I look for will be one that is more established.. I've always loved being a beta tester but I don't think [for now anyway] my heart can take much more.

I wish all those looking for work .. Good luck !!

Q

Posted 11 years ago by Qizara Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I have a feeling they wanted to get out BEFORE money became an issue. That way they could recover and go on to create other tech, give the employees they had to let go a healthy severance package, and be able to refund everyone who subscribed. If money really was an issue they wouldn't have given us back our subscription.
    Posted 11 years ago by Gwyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That is how I see it as well. The closure of Glitch is to avoid money becoming an issue.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Me too. It might also be because they did not get a big fanbase like Minecraft.
    Posted 11 years ago by Snackys Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, money is *an* issue — if we were crazy profitable right now, we would not be shutting down — but yes: we could see the trendlines and did a lot of testing and estimating and since it did not seem like it could become crazy profitable at any point in the future, it was better to shut it down while we still had the cash to give severance, to offer refunds and to make something out the technology.  
    Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sure whatever you make of it, it'll be excellent. I'm glad you could extricate early enough that it wasn't a total disaster. Keep us all in the loop :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What Mo said!
    Posted 11 years ago by The Docta Subscriber! | Permalink