Topic

Cubimal battles - how it works

I did a few "one on one" tests, and from what I got, this is how it goes:

Each cubimal has a certain "ego" (= life points), according to their level. Higher level, higher ego.

Each attack takes away some ego. Still not sure if higher level attacks are stronger.

If a cubimal *chokes*, it has to skip it's next attack.

If you win, you get XP according to the level of your adversary. Defeating Level-1-cubis gets you 10 xp, defeating level-3-cubis gets you 30 xp, and so on.

The higher level you are, the more XP you need to level up. Same as for the Glitchen themselves. Two Level-6-cubis battling each other took them at least a couple of fights to reach leve 7.

The XP system seems to have been bugged at first, which would explain level 50+ cubimals roaming around Ur. Apparently that bug has been fixed.

We tried a whole lot of different combinations of "panache" vs. "gumption" and "wile" vs. "panache", and are still completely clueless if any of that has any impact whatsoever. If anybody knows more, please share here. My logic guess (besides those 3 attacks just being some kind of roleplay thing) would be that each attack has a slight advance over one of the others, kind of rock-paper-scissor style, but there's defintely no 100-percent-win involved. We could rule that out during our tests.

Posted 11 years ago by Louis Louisson Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• good stuff!
    Posted 11 years ago by Paul Kim Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just about 100% on the money, Louis. And to clarify about the attack strength confusion, as the cubimal levels up it will forget some of it's older and yes, weaker insults and learn new stronger ones. Hope you enjoy it :)
    Posted 11 years ago by rayn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks rayn!

The new insults per level alone are worth leveling the cubimals!! :)

I also realized that the cubimal who sets the challenge seems always to be the one attacked first. First attack seems to be a pretty strong advantage, I must say. At least on even levels. If a stronger cubi challenges a weaker one, there's more of an even game.

I am still not sure about the verbs of attack, though. I try to see patterns, but I wonder if we are over-interpreting simple matters of statistical difference?
    Posted 11 years ago by Louis Louisson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The attacks are essentially a rock paper scissors mechanic but the effect being that if your level 6 cubi won (ie, rock over scissors), then they will fight that battle having the strength of a level 7 instead. Also if a cubi uses the same insult as it's opponent right after it, then it will only do half it's potential damage for that insult. Hope that clears things up.
    Posted 11 years ago by rayn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also if a cubi uses the same insult as it's opponent right after it, then it will only do half it's potential damage for that insult.

I noticed that if the second insult is the same as the previous one, the text is changed slightly.  Something like "No, YOU!" is added at the beginning, which brought back many traumatic gradeschool memories, so THANKS FOR THAT
    Posted 11 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol Pale Queen.  :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, it's really awesome how the repeated insults have the "No, ___" in front! Very clever addition!
    Posted 11 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Has XP bug been fixed?

Guess not, I see cubimals leveling with every win.
    Posted 11 years ago by Empyreal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looks like it's fixed now!
  • I'm curious to know what the maximum practical level is for a cubimal.  I've seen one that was lvl 831.

Maybe this is two questions:

1. How high can they go?

2. At what level do they start running out of more powerful insults?
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well it turns out that perhaps high leveled ones were unintentional, caused by undefined level cubimals. But now they've all been fixed to start at Level 1. I guess the limit is either Level 65535 or Level 2147483647. At Level 20 perhaps they start running out of insults.
  • It would be nice if we could see how much XP our Cubimals currently have and how much XP is needed for next level.