Topic

New Forums

look pretty cool

Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Ah ha! At least one person likes it. We added the 'last person who replied' to the lists in the forums and made it easier to navigate between the 3 forums. When we have them available, we'll be putting your avatar's head next to your posts and replies... but that might take a little bit. Anything else you guys would really like to see?
    Posted 14 years ago by Mr. Burka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Search
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i don't particularly like it. i miss the quick overview of all the new topics without having to click anything. the new format also doesn't solve the problem of people posting bugs in the general forum, and might even make that problem worse.

but i'm sure there's some problem i'm not aware of that the redesign is addressing, and while it is moderately annoying to require additional clicks to see what's new outside of "general" ... it is only the forum page.

i'm sure it'll work out fine.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was definitely a shock when I first opened up the forums, but I know we'll all get used to it and get over any qualms that we have, especially since things are constantly changing anyway. :) I think the previous design was a little easier on the eyes, but I like the new setup better, especially the "last post" addition.
    Posted 14 years ago by Bunyip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Suggestion:

- The top level forum could be "All", then General, Bugs, Ideas.
    - When anyone clicks on "New Discussion" the link could go to the same form, no matter which area of the forum they've been in.
    - Then, they first have to choose what sort of post it is (General, Bugs, Ideas), before a posting box appears.
    - Then, depending on what they choose, pre-populated content can appear in the posting box, e.g. for Bugs, the structure that begins "Repro Steps".
    Posted 14 years ago by Sasson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like Sasson's idea too.I am used to logging from java log also when reporting bugs...I am still adapting to page layout and it would be easier to report if a bugs heading was more prominent...Imho
    Posted 14 years ago by Tilly TrinkleHouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh....another Duhhh moment in Dizzy history...There are the titles on left side of new page....
    Good Job for you...and one for me!
    Posted 14 years ago by Tilly TrinkleHouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 @Sasson
    This look/layout reminds me a LOT of Vanilla or bbPress, and both utilize the "All Posts" overview with drilldowns for the actual forums themselves. Best to see ALL recent discussions.

Avatars will make it SO much easier to follow the conversation. It will also add to the social depth of the game...I'll start being able to recognize people for their players. :)
    Posted 14 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Big headline on the top Saying POST BUGS IN THE BUG FORUM with a line pointing to the bug forum
  • +++1 sasson.
  • +1 for avatars in posts
    Posted 14 years ago by Mabs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We're also adding the management ability to move threads soon. So, when people post something in the wrong forum, someone from the team can quickly move it. This will help with the bug posting problem especially.

One thing I want added for myself, is the ability to see threads I've participated in. And maybe get notifications when people respond after me in a thread... though unless we get it right, that could get annoying.

And, yes! The "All" could be great too.
  • need to be able to edit posts in group forums.
  • what he said, about editing in group forums
  • "+1 for avatars in posts"

as long as the avatars are making faces.
  • The banding makes it look like every other forum post is crossed out.
    Posted 14 years ago by rothko Subscriber! | Permalink
  • also in Groups--you can only see who is in a group if you are the Admin. Very need--to-know, excessively so.
  • +1 Mr. Burka re: keeping track of discussions I participated in.

+ Sasson

+ face-making avatars (reminds me, pleasantly, of Get Satisfaction's how this makes you feel feature)
    Posted 14 years ago by MetaGrrrl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yep, I love the Get Satisfaction emotes. Could be cool. All good ideas everyone. I hear you about Groups. Thanks and keep them coming.
  • Oh my - face-making avatars would rock. Give so much personality to the conversation.

Can we get some simple-heading descriptions for each of the forum sections, rather than just the bugs section? Ideas is sort-of straightforward.
    But General? Can we talk strategy here? Start a "Anyone else from Canada?" thread? Sometimes there are just small suggestions have about different parts of the site, but don't want to post in ideas - since that seems to be mostly game ideas. Unless you want all suggestions there. What about typos? Do they go to "Bugs"? They don't seem like bugs.

I'm now more confused than when I started this post.
    Posted 14 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • a couple days ago i started a strategy group here:

alpha.glitch.com/groups/RIF...

not much for now. should include answers to frequently asked questions eventually.
  • but it would make sense to have a general thread in the main forum answering a FAQ list for the stuff we end up repeating endlessly in the in-game help channel.
  • I can't join your group, I am apparently maxed out at four groups (including the one I formed).

If there isn't some action on that handmade glitch group soon, I'm outta there, and I will join the strategy group!

That being said, I am feeling pretty wan about Groups in general.
  • if you add a voting system for bug threads or spam, the forum could self regulate a little.

ie, here is a post
    posted 2 hr ago by Jaen | Permalink [bug?] [spam?] [mod?]

Perhaps little bug graphic and if you click it, it squishes, and spam could be canned foody tin, and when clicked could be crushed canned foody tin.

anyway, when the squishes or crushes hit arbitrary limits, that thread moves itself to either bug reports or wherever higher moderated threads/spam need to go.

each user would have only one chance to squish or crush each thread, so it'd be the count of those per thread that would enact auto movement.

I'd suggest that if a user chooses to squish or crush, they no longer have the option to post in said thread, avoiding the number of pointless 'move this thread, or this is spam, or flamebait' posts. They've voted their option silently.

Once a bug thread is moved, of course, comments are open to all again.

anyway, it's more work up front, but then you can crowd source 2 tasks that the community is well suited to handle, and you guys can address more serious concerns.

Jaen
    Posted 14 years ago by Jaen Padryga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The devs having manual 'move' links should be enough since they have to regularly read everything, anyway.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • coooool :D
    Posted 14 years ago by .gatto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, that's nice, is that new? From the topics list, a pop up with the contents of the most recent post when you hover over the poster and time of post. Handeh.
  • Tingly, they do, for now, but my idea is for now and the future. more users=more posts=more moderation. I've been there, it can be a lot of busy work.
    Posted 14 years ago by Jaen Padryga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • have forum postings really slowed down since the new forums layout was brought in, or is it just me? or is it just coincidence?
  • Yeah, I'd been thinking the exact same thing, but then figured that the dramatically slowed pace of testing combined with prime summer vacation time probably also played into the equation. However, even with slow postings in general, it really does seem like the Ideas forum in particular is getting a *lot* less traffic than General, so I'm guessing people aren't clicking through past the new main page of the forums.

Personally, I still have the old /forum page bookmarked, but when I forget and click through the link to the new design, I rarely bother with the extra clicks needed to see the other two forums. It would be nice to have a main landing page that doesn't show any particular forum, but instead has links to each forum showing the most recently updated thread.

Having said all that, the word forum has started to lose all meaning to me, which can only mean it's time to walk away...
    Posted 14 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A larger share of ideas are being posted to General than before. I don't see much other effect.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Woah, I completely forgot about the Bugs & Ideas forums.

I guess like katlazam, I rarely bother clicking through to other sections unless there is a main landing page displaying all categories when you click 'Forums'.
    Posted 14 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree that forums should link to /forum not /forum/general. It would make it so much easier.
    Posted 14 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink