Topic

so what exactly are jujus?

and what exactly do they doodoo?

Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• lol, I thought that was a reference to julian!
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • jujus are bad mojo, mofo.
    Posted 14 years ago by Mabs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had never seen them before. Where do they come from?
    Posted 14 years ago by Helcat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "An object used as a fetish, a charm, or an amulet in West Africa", according to google and the free dictionary.
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Har.

These were clearly meant to be jujubes. Possibly EVIL jujubes.
  • Hmmm. Apparently "Juju Shoo-Shoo Powder" exists.

Damn, I can't wait to learn how to make more potions.
  • was anyone able to click on them to "get info" during the party?
  • @Striatic - No...not yet. I seems that they must have been testing sprites, or a not-implimented item. I couldn't interact with them at all, and the sprites didn't really match the rest of the polished Glitch interface.
    Perhaps we'll see them in the future.

It seems like God (or jdawg) threw them in there as part of the End Of The World party at the end of the last test...just for funsies.
    Posted 14 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • but i wanna know what they doodoo!
  • They just cause problems! Touch one and you'll get a Bad Mood debuff ... come in to contact with the Boss Nib and you'll catch A Real Bummer. They can be chased away with the Shoo Shoo powder (which I think clears those debuffs too, but I can't recall).

You can think of them as an early warning sign that a location needs a little more love and attention from the Giants: they herald the coming of The Rook which is a lot more severe. Just shooing them doesn't solve the underlying problem!
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good lord. Almost none of that made any sense to me.
  • Boiled down, the population is supposed to donate in balanced fashion to the Giants and I suppose at a certain rate. When we don't, bad things happen. BAD THINGS!
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • stoot - The idea of a realm needing to pay heed/toll/love to an certain giant overlord in exchange for blessings is brilliant for so many reasons. Playing in to the primal urge to satiate our surrounding and pay homage for all that it provides...excellent.

I can see this paving the way for blessings from the giants based on the personality of each giant and how it affects the regional look/attitude. Then communities springing up around each giant's region, full of like-minded players.

Such awesomeness.
  • It might just be the part of me trying to fight the bit of religious hangover I have left from sunday school when I was younger, but I for one do not welcome our new overlords, and kinda hope that if Tingly/Bringobar has it right, there's an alternate route that allows us to effectively flip the bird at them in a Dawkins-esque anti-"respect my authoritah" way; though obviously such a route would require us to have learned Advanced Bird Inversion. Hell, maybe it could even be a collaborative thing with powders, group meditation etc., maybe even a circle and a witch with an ancient vampire-slaying scythe (yeah, so I've got Buffy on the brain).
    Posted 14 years ago by julian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • see what I mean? bad juju!

;-)
  • Well, the Giants are not exactly overlords ... they just happened to think you up. And the drain of continuing to keep a whole world in their collective imagination taxes them to the limit of their abilities, so they often need help to keep it going.

They aren't gods in any normal sense: rather than boss you around or set rules for your conduct, they take direction from you, the sprouts of their imagination. The hallucination steers the hallucinator, like.
  • Hmmm. I'm not so into the whole propitiation thing either. Unless it's Julian.
  • the giants are real, and Ti is the best one!
  • "They just cause problems! "

It's about time we had some random chaotic factor let loose up in here.
  • jujus be. they don't do.
    Posted 14 years ago by rothko Subscriber! | Permalink
  • stoot - So, we are the dreams that dream the dreamer?

julian - I fully agree with the religious aspect. But I feel that the areas based around Giant's personalities would still be awesome, and totally fit in with what stoot is saying. That each Giant would be dreaming part of the world, and they each have distinct personalities I am sure. So the focal point of their energy would have the strongest influence from their subconscious, and it would blend with the other giants the further you got form that focus.
  • I had to look "propitiation" up in the dictionary. Neat!
  • giant worship isn't really religious if it doesn't require faith, since in the context of the game world the giants are real and scientifically verifiable.

i don't think there's much of a need to get all "new atheist" on them. what'd they ever do to you? : ]
  • This is starting to remind me of the Discworld realms of belief. Small Gods and whatnot.
  • Big gods in this game
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dudes, this is blowing my mind.

Because the giants are real and players are imaginary, the random, chaotic factor in the game is us.
    And...How funny that I just naturally imposed an idea of godhood on the giants, when in point of fact that is sort of upside-down, or inverted or something.
    But..if in-game I created a religion that beatified Pot, it would sort of be like Pot dreaming he was the god of a bunch of tiny worshippers, you know, like dreaming you are a rock star or something.
    And yet...dreams are often a mishmash of real life events...so does that mean the waking world of the giants contains massive piggies, and mailbox-sized flasks of Sheep Ass Vodka?

When I think about the cumulative effects of the players on the "world", it makes me get all responsible-citizenish, and I have manufactured a kind of doomsday-prevention scenario as an emotional hook of the game. And that is kind of dreary, come to think of it. Need to keep this keanu moment fresh.
  • but if the dreams dream the dreamer then he really is a rock star.

plus what if Pot really IS a rock star and he's just dreaming about all the worshipping he's used to in his life, huh?
  • Well, I was kidding about that actually--it was just easier to work with that vs. the idea of Pot standing naked in front of a classroom and remembering he has a final exam in five minutes and he hasn't been to class all semester.
  • Pot sounds a little neurotic.
  • "but if the dreams dream the dreamer"...are you calling me neurotic? ;-)
  • well yes, but only in the best possible way.
  • They remind me of jugs of Kool Aid for some reason... obviously bad mojo.
    Posted 14 years ago by Spatula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Me too!