Topic

Changes in the latest test

I really like the new context menus and the new quests! I also like the changes you've implemented to try and keep players invested in maintaining the world. (I know we all did a lot of bug reporting, which was the point of the test, but I don't want to lose track of the compliments as well!)

Posted 14 years ago by Bitsy Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Btw, was the inundation of a whole ton of quests meant to happen?
    Posted 14 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I requested it.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How come?
    Posted 14 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • testing
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The quests were a bit overwhelming but welcome too. At first I wasn't sure if I liked the new menus but gameplay was faster so that's a result. Would it be possible to go further and allow one to hover over a tree and press 'p' for pet without having to press enter or click to activate the menu first?
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I believe the quests were only overwhelming because normally, you'd receive those quests when you achieved certain things. Since most of us had achieved those things when the quests were added, we received the quests all at once. Normally they'd be much more spaced out.
    Posted 14 years ago by quoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I liked having several quests at once. It enabled me to 'multitask' and watch a few things at once, rather than running all over The World to complete one particular task. Way more fun!
    Posted 14 years ago by Chelseathing Subscriber! | Permalink
  • bluto: Would it be possible to go further and allow one to hover over a tree and press 'p' for pet without having to press enter or click to activate the menu first?

This was how i thought the new context menus worked when i saw it. But the hotkeys only work once you have opened the window. I would love to see this idea implemented!
    Posted 14 years ago by Jeff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well,it may be new or I just missed it previously,,,,but I love the double click ability to mine.....no menu necessary...Like I said.....I may be a day late or two on that......
    Posted 14 years ago by Tilly TrinkleHouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Re the new context menus: they are *almost* done. When they are done, done you will be able to walk up to something and press the appropriate shortcut key without opening the menu first.

The advantages are:
    (1) you now get tooltips on most interactions which are 90% useful, 10% mysterious or humorous (e.g., you are now told up front how much energy you'll get from some food item, how much energy animal/tree interaction costs, when a drink will give you a buff, etc.)
    (2) double click for default verbs
    (3) key shortcuts for most actions
    (4) better disambiguation when using the keyboard and intersected with multiple items
    (5) better chooser for pig feeding, item giving, shrine donation, etc.
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Re the quests: it is as quoo said above ... in the real scheme of things, you'd get these as they arose. But since you had advanced characters, you got them all at once.
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • [3] is good and i found it useful in the last test, but some of the default verbs should be different.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the new quoin icons too!
    Posted 14 years ago by | Permalink
  • stoot - Awesome! I'm really digging the new navigation. especially [1]. I kept all the math in a little notebook. This is going to reduce my need for that by quite a bit.
    Posted 14 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink