Topic

wallpaper levels

some of the levels feel a bit like wallpaper.

not all the levels, probably not even most of the levels, but certainly some of the levels, especially in the new groddle.

platform place is a good example of a level that feels like wallpaper. it is difficult to gauge the width and exact location of the "platform" branches. even after i've sussed out the invisible platforms that seem superimposed on the wallpaper, the whole level still feels a bit flat. there are other levels with similar problems when a "path" diverges uphill and straight across a seeming thin ledge which is actually a drop.

maybe most platform games are too obvious about what are platforms and what aren't, and glitch is going for something more subtle, but it is frustrating to miss jumps and not know why. it can take a player out of the game when some "background" elements you can stand on and others let you fall.

Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I had the same problem, just assumed it was lack of skill on my part.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We don't entirely disagree with you. The platforms could stand out more, and it's something we've been thinking about. There's not yet consensus on what we'll do to improve them, but all level design is an evolutionary process so I'd say improvements are likely.
    Posted 14 years ago by jdawg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps the branches that you can jump onto, should sway slightly.
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • branches... oh I have troubles with the "hills" sorts of areas to try to figure out how to jump up on them... or where you can. Maybe shadowing.
    Posted 13 years ago by Andi Handipants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "maybe most platform games are too obvious about what are platforms and what aren't, and glitch is going for something more subtle, but it is frustrating to miss jumps and not know why. it can take a player out of the game when some "background" elements you can stand on and others let you fall."

i second that.. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by thu-thu Subscriber! | Permalink