Topic

Feats Prizes for non-hardcore participants.

I thought Glitch was supposed to be a relaxed game, yet the way feats work right now give little reward for contributing unless you make it to the leaderboard, which is so far, at least for me, very hard. So I thought about some some option to make people feel more involved, even if they have little chance. My idea is adding a Lottery where all participants (but top places in the leaderboard). It would work like the following. Everyone that participates in the feat get 1 ticket for the lottery. In addition, there would be personal achievements for the feat. They would work like regular achievements but they would give additional lottery tickets instead. In addition, completing all the personal  achievements, would grant a bonus ticket plus an additional small chunk of rock at the end of the feat. Winners would be selected randomly and there would be: 1 Grand Winner; 1 Second Prize; 1 Third prize; 5 Runner Ups. I thought tickets would be linked to each account, that means not being able to trade/sell them.I think this would get people without chances to get into the leaderboards to feel more involved.This is a sketch idea made to be modified and / or further developed to fit the game. Hope TS and the community like it. PS: Sorry for the wall of text but when I save it, it breaks the format.

Posted 12 years ago by Fresh Mango Spirit Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Personally, I think it's awesome that, as a non-hardcore participant, I still get prizes! Pretty relaxing for me. I participate as much as is fun, and then if it's not fun any more, I do something else. Pretty great.

Maybe there are more than two categories of participant: not just leader boards and the rest but leader boards, aspirational leader boards, and people who spend most of their time feeding piggies and singing to butterflies and are pretty astounded when some of these whimsical activities result in a mysterious chunk of rock.

I'm glad all the categories of player exist.
    Posted 12 years ago by lris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • From what I understood, if you participate the absolute minimum and only get one small rock, that rock has a random chance of an artifact piece.  So if you continue to participate you could eventually get some good rewards.
    Posted 12 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Indeed, each small rock *is* a lottery ticket. though tradeable.

The first feat gave out artifact pieces only to top contributors...the rock deal already addresses the more casual player.

Also, for barely participating you get 1 small rock but even getting halfway up the list of names got me a medium and a small rock. So there's increasing reward even without working up a "tier"
    Posted 12 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The first of the recent feats? Because I was not one of the top contributors by a long shot and I got an artifact in my rock.
    Posted 12 years ago by lris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've gotten two artifact pieces from approximately 10ish small rocks. It's basically the best lottery in the entire world. The most I've ever one on a real lottery is enough to buy another ticket!

Or, no I maybe got $5 from a $3 scratcher before. It was amazing. ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Biohazard Also Subscriber! | Permalink
  • See this thread: www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
    Posted 12 years ago by Saturnese Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks everyone for their replies. What I meant with my idea was giving chances to people that can't make it to the leaderboard, to get leaderboard rewards (i.e. bigger chunks of rocks), which is not that necesary now that the beads idea has been implemented (which is great). The other thing I was proposing was to give people that can't or don't want to bother with reaching the leaderboard some goals to promote everyone to contribute a minimum. I think that second part still makes some sense, I've seen some other thread for feat achievements alone though, but I think it's a nice idea. It could also make some feats more complex having some goals that don't directly contribute to it (ie in the sparkly donations feat, having people hand over certain ammount of sparkly to others).
    Posted 12 years ago by Fresh Mango Spirit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1, I've been thinking the same thing, FMS, I'll never be able to get anything but a tiny rock because I never have large chunks of time to play during any particular feat, like the leaders do.
    Posted 12 years ago by justpeace Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  I'll never be able to get anything but a tiny rock because I never have large chunks of time to play during any particular feat, like the leaders do.

You can probably save up currants to buy the rewards outright though
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We can't all be winners.

Mainly cos the winner is me.
  • -1. I'm fine with the reward I get, even if I only contribute very little.
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • shhexy corin=chicken dinner
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • shhexy corin=FULL OF WIN
  • All your base are belong to shhexy.
    Posted 12 years ago by justpeace Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if I agree with this. I like that I can contribute "1" (of a feat unit, whatever that might be) and get a rock. I know I'll never play enough in one sitting to hit the leaderboard so I leave it at that. And I'm happy with it.

However, the more people become frustrated with the gap between "1" and "leaderboard," the more people are likely to simply stop at "1" like I have been and the feat goals might not be reached unless TS tweaks the levels. And that might become a problem.
    Posted 12 years ago by Hydi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Shhexy's in yer base. Killin' yer dewds.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • By my limited understanding, what you describe IS the system in place right now for the feats. Rocks = lottery tickets (of varying sizes depending on participation levels); there are three or more leaders plus several runner ups. Is there something more that I am not seeing here?

P.S. Shexxy is too shexxy for the boards.

P.S.2 In Glitch, you can never lose.
    Posted 12 years ago by natsumi Subscriber! | Permalink