Topic

Astronomy & Astrology

Skill Ideas: Astronomy & Astrology - Intellectual

Astronomy I:
Requires: Penpersonship
Giant Affiliation: Lem (Primary), Friendly, Cosma (Secondary)

Since the first Age, Glitches have looked to the Stars for entertainment. With the use of a Telescope, you can join their ranks.

Astronomy I lets Glitches use a Telescope to look at a Map of the night sky. The night sky contains Stars, similar to how we see stars in Radial Heights and other iMG ticket areas. Each star twinkles a different note on the musical scale. The astronomer can connect the stars to create a Minor Constellation consisting of 6 stars(musical notes).The Constellation can also be named (i.e. "Constellation of the Big Apple").
Constellation:
Requires 1 Paper, Functions like a Music Block.

When used, the Constellation plays the same twinkle-notes as the stars the astronomer mapped. It costs energy, but restores some mood and grants some iMG. Unlike Music Blocks, however, the Constellation can only be used once and then it is destroyed.

Astronomy II:
Requires: Astronomy I
Giant Affiliation: Lem (Primary), Friendly, Cosma (Secondary)

Astronomy II allows the player to create Constellations. Constellations are created and used the same way as Minor Constellations, from Astronomy I, except they can use up to 9 notes/stars. Additionally, the Astronomer can decide whether the Constellation will restore Mood or grant iMG. It grants a higher amount than a Minor Constellation - but can only give a bonus to 1. Similar to their Minor counterparts, Constellations are destroyed after their first use.

Astrology I:
Requires: Astronomy II
Giant Affiliation: Lem (Primary), Friendly, Tii (Secondary)

Your prolonged study of the stars has opened your eyes to patterns and cycles. You have identified the Great Constellations of the Horoscope, and can help other Glitches decipher which sign they were born under.

Astrology I allows the Player to create a Birth Chart for another player, or themselves. The Birth Chart requires one Paper, is permanent, and can be displayed on a wall like a decoration.

Birth Chart:
Displays the (game time) Day, Month, and Time of the Character's Creation.

Astrology II:
Requires: Astrology I
Giant Affiliation: Lem (Primary), Friendly, Tii (Secondary)

Astrology II allows the player to Cast a Horoscope. A Horoscope requires one Paper, an Ephemeris, and can only be used once per game Month (But the player can cast as many horoscopes as they want - the "once per month" limit only applies to actually using the finished product).

Ephemeris:
While this item is in the Player's Inventory, the Player can click it and the option to "Cast a Horoscope" appears. A Horoscope can only be cast for another Player if they are on the same street. The Horoscope will appear in the inventory of the Player for who it was cast, not the player who cast it (i.e. If Player A casts a Horoscope for Player B, the horoscope will appear in Player B's inventory).

Using the Horoscope:
A Horoscope can only be used once per game-month. Once used, a pop-up appears saying:

"Horoscope for [Player Name] for [Day] the [Number] of [Month], [Year]." - using the appropriate time for when it was used.

example: "Horoscope for Godiva for Twoday the 48th of Bruise, Year 25."

It will then list a Prediction. A Prediction can either be benefic (providing a bonus to the player) or malefic (providing a penalty to the player). The Prediction given is completely random, chosen from a table of pre-set Predictions. The Prediction lasts for the full game day of which the Horoscope was used OR in the case of event-predictions the prediction lasts until the event is finished.

[REVISED] Example Predictions:

Benefic:
"You will meet a tall, dark stranger."
- Spawns a Rube on the next public street, even if the player has met the Rube already that day.
"You will meet a short, dark stranger."
- Spawns a Smuggler/Smuggler Quest on the next public street.
"You will have bountiful harvest."
- Stacking bonus to have a Super Harvest.
"You will receive an inheritance."
-  Next Quest or Achievement has a 30% Reward Bonus.
"You will engage in studious behavior."
- Skill Learning Speed 15% stacking Bonus (up to 65% with donations/yellow crumb, etc.)
"You will be lucky in love."
- The next time you Kiss another player, a Qurazy Quoin spawns.
"You will go on a voyage."
- Grants (1) Teleportation Token.
"You will be lucky in business."
- Stacking 5% Bonus to Vendor Buyback Prices & 5% Discount on Vendor Item Prices.
"You will have many children."
- When incubating eggs, the chance for twins goes up to 50%.
"You will have a pleasant day."
- Periodic Energy & Mood Loss halts for the remainder of the day. Interacting with objects will use energy/mood normally, this only refers to the automatic decay.

Malefic:
"You will have trouble communicating."
- Cannot type messages into Local or Global chat. Other chat (party, IM, etc.) functions normally.
"You will have difficulty concentrating."
- Skill Learning Speed stacking 5% Penalty.
"You will be unlucky in business."
- Vendor Buyback 5% Penalty (Vendor NPC's pay 5% less for your goods).
"You will go on a perilous journey."
- The next time the player teleports, they die at the end of the Teleportation Cooldown.
"You will have a poor harvest."
- Harvesting takes double energy.
"You will be unlucky in love."
- The next time you Splank another Player, a Qurazy Quoin spawns.

Posted 12 years ago by Godiva Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• This is pretty awesome, reminds me of animal crossing with a Glitch spin. +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1, though I think the Malefic ones are a bit harsh.  It would be really, really nice to have something more to do with paper, though!  :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the predictions look more like jinxes, maybe the effects should get lessened a bit
    instead of having big effects with limited use, they could be smaller effects with wider use

astronomy looks nice with the notes, but if instruments will ever be introduced the note part would likely be taken by those
    Posted 12 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Wow, really great suggestions, although I agree the "malefics" are a bit harsh.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 But yes, malefics are harsh.
    Posted 12 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the Feedback!

I revised the Malefics to make them a little less punishing, and increased the Benefics.

@Zean; The once-per-month limit seems a fair balancing mechanic. After all, these are horoscopes, not food or potions. The longest game month is only 12 real-life days, and the shortest game month is only 4 real-life hours.
    Posted 12 years ago by Godiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 you have some really good ideas
    Posted 12 years ago by Miki Takahashi Subscriber! | Permalink