Topic

Upgrades to allow you to selectively ignore quoins

So I'm on my way back to Jal to spend my daily qoin limit on sweet, sweet img. And every quoin that I can't avoid on the way means just a little less img for me in the long run, which is irritating. So, as a way around this - and to allow for better management of the quoin limit in general - I'd like to see a set of upgrade cards that allow me to toggle whether my avatar picks up quoins of a certain type - one card for each type of quoin, presumably, or perhaps just one card that unlocks the whole set of toggles.

Posted 12 years ago by Adelene Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• As nice as this sounds, the not-so-nice part is it'd remove a challenge from the game. Sometimes, elements of the game should be challenging. Not to mention, learning to dodge the quoins you don't want feels more strategic than having that automatically done for you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink

Sorry, agree with Justin - and I say this as a person who does her best to avoid every single mood quoin. The only challenge in quion hunting is avoiding the ones you don't want.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink

It would make looking for certain quions too easy and just turn quoin hunting into a mindless, simple activity instead of the challenge it should be.
    Posted 12 years ago by Llewella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And after a card to avoid mod or energy quoins then I'd like a card that let me avoid low value img or currant quoins. And after that I'd like one that told me before I go to a street that all the high value quoins have been mined already. And after that a card that let's me temporarily stop collecting any quoins when I'm moving from one super-high-value quoin to another. And then...

I may make rude noises at the devs when I'm down to being able to grab three quoins, and I hit the wrong mushroom in Haoma and get an unnecessary mood and two low value currant quoins and end up standing right in front of a max-value quoin unable to grab it (noooooooooo!) but that's part of the fun of the game too. Just as if I never crashed out of meditating early, because I'm an idiot with a short attention span, the game would get too predictable. In Glitch paradise I am sure that there are only high-value img quoins and they respawn continually and there are no limits on the number of quoins one can collect in a day, but Paradise is for after this game is over.

Preposterous as it is..
    Posted 12 years ago by Jenny Wren Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not actually sure avoiding quoins is supposed to be a challenge. Maybe something's been said somewhere about it, but it doesn't actually feel like that's the case from how they're positioned in the game, at least to me.

Even if they are, I still think the idea should be considered. I mean - jumping obviously *is* supposed to be a challenge in the game, but we still have the levitation skill, y'know?
    Posted 12 years ago by Adelene Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe they could make it an item or skill that times out or you can only use a certain number of times a day like teleportation or the focusing orb. That way it would leave a bit of the challenge while adding the occasional treat of convenience! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Pippary Subscriber! | Permalink

Sorry, I just don't like the sound of this....
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Keiko~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought of exactly the same thing today. I love jumping up and down in areas with trampolines, and it becomes impossible to avoid energy and mood coins most of the time. I hate to go there on full energy and mood, knowing I'm going to waste my daily limit as well as someone else's option to grab a coin they need.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kiss Me Gently Subscriber! | Permalink

It may seem like a good idea, but it really isn't. There will be times when I'm too lazy and I'd like go for the mood or energy quoin, instead of doing 5 meditations in a row. Likewise, if everyone has these cards, then it will be even harder for us to collect quoins in highly populated areas. You thought quoin collecting in Jal was bad before? These cards would make it much worse...

(Not to mention that sometimes I log on at the wrong time, and find myself scrambling for quoins to max out for the day. This would also make it hard to do that)
    Posted 11 years ago by Fawnie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree in a way possibly make it to where when your mood and energy is fool you do not pick up the mood or energy quoins. As fast as energy and mood deplete it will still leave a challenge while not getting the unneeded quoins when energy or mood is full.
    Posted 11 years ago by ghostpopsicle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -1 increase your quoin limit and use an avarice potion - that way it does not matter as much
    Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -1 Yes it can be annoying hitting the wrong quoins when your after different ones, but its also part of the challenge, and this would make it not challenging anymore.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to idea. It's been a long time since I wanted to hit a mood quoin. And, while I'm sympathetic to the "challenge" idea, there's really nothing in this game that's significantly challenging to any kind of serious gamer. I'd rather not have to pick up two mood quoins in a tunnel to get to the currant quoin @ the end.

As to the Elixir of Avarice, that increases you quoin limit by 33-50% (depending on your other upgrades) for one day. Not really a long-term fix.

--Me
    Posted 11 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink