Topic

Feats

We need more complex feats. The current feats encourage grinding, not creativity and community spirit.

I propose that we make feats that REQUIRE MULTIPLE PEOPLE, not two, not three, probably FIVE MINIMUM. We need more COMMUNITY FEATS.

Furthermore, we need to hide the leaderboard and don't allow home streets to count for feats that don't directly involve them. Come on. Heck, one of our feats could be to create a new item called 'Raw Imagination' which is created at the beginning of the feat. Maybe five Glitchen would have to gather to make 1 unit of it, and it would stack as more gathered, as so:

5: 1
6: 2
7: 3
8: 4
9: 6
10: 8
11: 10
12: 12

And 12 could be the maximum that could be made at once.

Come on, we need to reduce the competitive spirit in feats. They should be a community thing!

Posted 12 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I like the idea of raw imagination. Would be a good first feat for an epic, and the other feats could build on it.  Maybe 11 max, for 11 giants?

I hear you on the grinding and leaderboards aspect of things.  But I do think the feats have been good in a lot of ways and the grinding/leaderboard aspect hasn't been all negative! For one thing I know there are higher-level players who have felt like there was nothing left for them to do.  Yes, new regions, new achievements, etc, but this is something very engaging.  I realize that it's probably very possible to be engaging without competition but for the people who do like to grind the leaderboards are very fun.  I know people who don't like to grind or can't may feel a bit left behind when looking at the leaderboards but I think it helps a lot that you get at least a bead in a rock and you get a small rock for participating the minimum.  So people can feel rewarded to an extent even if they're not high on the leaderboards.  Personally, I wouldn't miss them terribly if they were gone.

Cooperative stuff, I'd love to see feats that required a lot of people.  I think it could get a bit hectic and the idea in the forums about a chat channel devoted to feats could really help with that.  I wouldn't want to see all feats require a bunch of people but as you said having some of them be that way would help encourage community spirit.  

I'm not sure if this works from a game-mechanic perspective but maybe another thing would be to minimize the amount of street-changing that had to go on.  It would decrease the hectic feeling, and adding it to having a lot of glitchen be involved together in the feats would really feel like you're working with people to achieve things.  Rather than find a bunch of people, do something, and then run off trying to find new people/locations.  I know this was kind of competitive too (although it was cooperative in that people had to die in order for others to mourn) but when there was the mourning feat, and there were street parties for dying, it felt fun to hang out with a lot of people to do the feat and I personally had fun trying to sustain a party on my street with attractions like no no and food for getting out of pooped, and it did more community-related to me than a lot of the other feats.

Stuff like the currant one, where we have to pet/water/etc can be community-minded too, even though you can do them on your own.  I bet the street owners with a lot of wood trees will enjoy this one, for example! And for newer players it can advertise the pet/water/etc mechanics, which I have thoughts about but am not going to say them now as I am going to wrap this up with:

I am glad that there's been a variety of feats (I know you weren't posting to try to say that there should *only* be a certain type of feat - just am saying things about the variety as a general observation).  I am excited to see what kinds of things they come up with in the future. It seems like they want to provide us with as broad a selection of feats as they can think of / have practical implementations for, and I do hope and trust that they'll continue to think of community-mindedness! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink