Topic

Restaurant licenses

(a response to this thread.)

I have previously mentioned Taverns, which would be TS supplied buildings within regions where the consumption of food and beverage within the premises would give a 20% bonus.  This would encourage glitchen to gather together for communal meals - you would be invited out to eat, etc.  

Of course, that's a bunch of work.  somebody has to design the building, and make it work, and place it, yadda yadda.  probably not going to happen. 

Why not have the Bureaucrocs sell Restaurant licenses instead?   They would be fairly expensive, and if applied to your tower (or perhaps a floor of a tower) they would confer the same benefit.  

I don't like this as well, because i would like Taverns to be very special places, sort of like Uncle Friendly's, but if this idea were easier to do, well then...

Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• So, I generally agree there is a need for social spaces where specific activities would be rewarded, ala the community machine rooms.
    I agree that taverns for cocktails, & restaurants for food is generally a good notion.
    I think that whatever dynamic would be used to create these "activity areas" would also be useful when applied to broad classes of activities.  For instance:
    a) Metal shop, for smelting & tonging. and metal machine activities. Also possibly element grinding.  When I imagine such a place, I see a large dark space, glowing crucibles, hanging chains, occasional spark animations, vintage posters with scorch marks, and maybe some NPC ala the fox ranger who has things like face-smelters, spare tongs, and other tools for sale.
    b) Alchemistry lab, for element grinding, potioning, tincture making, and the like.  The visual direction of such a space might vary from sleek and lab-like, to dark, medieval and somewhat mysterious. Again, there could be an attendant, with alchemical stuff for sale.

I could see similar spaces for woodworking, where making the various wood products would be fostered, as well as being small bonuses for furniture making.

Should this notion be expanded to spinning and weaving? I think VS would adore a space like this, among others.

At the end of the day, the play dynamic I'd like to see would be a gathering space for folks who are doing similar activities, so resources can be shared, and there's a bonus to NOT being in your home banging out projects.

I'm not sure the notion of a restaurant license upgrade for one's tower is really the way to go; but I'm not vehemently opposed to it.  I think the open question is how to get more people out into communal spaces in Ur doing similar activities -- whatever ends up achieving this aim is a mechanism I would support.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I do like the idea of a separate building a little bit better.  I just want to see lots of buildings for home streets that force us to choose whether to provide resources or have that useful other building thingy.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Smaug: Hoardkeeper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think what I'm tending towards is _some_ space where you get a bonus for (in my example case) eating with others.  say, 2% for going there alone, 5% for being there with 2-4 others, 10% for being there with 5-10 people, something along those lines.  If you needed to eat, you might just drop in, or you might cast about for others who did too and form a dinner party.  You might share dishes, since those might be giving you all iMG bonuses as well.  

If they were in towers they would be easier to implement via the aforementioned license.  Otherwise I would just beg as I regularly do for a unique tavern next to every subway stop.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 

I would LOVE for that or taverns to happen. Although I worry that putting it in towers may make cause some issues- particularly lag and making it harder for those shy glitches to meet new friends.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fawnie Subscriber! | Permalink