Topic

A Purple Journey North request

Could this quest be changed to work in all of Aranna please, or have its instructions changed to clarify?  When I enjoyed some herb at the top of a mountain that apparently doesn't count, I had no way of knowing why the quest didn't complete.  From the description it sounded like it should work anywhere in the region, especially as mountains are an Aranna distinctive and all or almost all Aranna streets have peaks in the background.

I tried to complete this quest at Tamota Trill, which is one of the loveliest streets in Ur and feels more mountainous to me than the street where I eventually succeeded.

Posted 12 years ago by Zauberbergy Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• While I agree it's a lovely street, if you look at the map, it's pretty clearly not in the mountains. I thought the quest was pretty clear, and fairly generous - I did mine in Markas Maarkas, to test if the 'border' streets worked, and it did.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's true Tamota Trill has a lovely view of the mountains but even on the street itself you can see it is not in the mountains. As Kadi says it is also very clear on the map. The quest does say 'in the mountains of Aranna'. There are other quests where you have to read the instructions properly. Selling tools to the right vendor is another that Glitch often do not read well. I see no reason to change this. Quests are not meant to be a doddle and requiring a little thought does not seem unreasonable
    Posted 12 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm happy for you folks that read it the way the creators of the quest apparently intended, but that's the thing about ambiguous directions-they can be read multiple ways.

My suggestion is to allow the whole region to count, and I think you can either argue that mountains of could figuratively refer Aranna as a whole or that all of Aranna is mountainous.  While there is a delineation in the region map, that map is highly stylized; it looks like a terraced series of plateaus with some volcanos (or snow-covered trees).  And the situation as seen within the streets is very different.  They all have mountains in the background, and of the southern streets Tamota Trill, Lowan Len, Dosaka Moda, Sabudana Drama, and Meera Dhala all have peaks or cliffs.  You could say the middle streets are above the tree line and the northern streets are above the snow line.

My second-choice suggestion is a wording change, but I don't have a good suggested wording right now; it's late here.  When I think of trying to distinguish those parts of Aranna I come up with things that either still sound like they could mean the whole or that sound like you might have to find a very specific place.  I guess I'd refer to the snow or the rockiness and lack of trees, or even refer to the plateaus, which is what they look like on the map.  "Climb above (through?) the forests onto the high peaks" or something, maybe.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zauberbergy Subscriber! | Permalink