Topic

Android Marketplace

So, I just got an shiny new Android phone as an early Christmas present/upgrade and I'm still pootling around the marketplace trying to figure out what are good apps and what's worth trying and so on.

Can anyone recommend apps? Any sort - I'm still trying to figure out what I'll use my phone for.

Thanks in advance!

Posted 12 years ago by Hallirackit Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Google Goggles is great fun. Take a picture of a landmark, and the app will identify it for you. Snap a barcode, and the app will try and look up the product. Photograph a corporate logo, and the app will lead you to the company website. You can even photograph some text, and Google Goggles will translate it for you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fritzl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All depends on your bent, I suppose.
    Posted 12 years ago by Woochi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I installed "Random Mahjongg Pro"  which keeps me amused.  I also installed a Solitaire game but it is not nearly as nice as the fishie one I had on my old phone.  I loved that one, it had several games and some watery settings with Orca, seals, a variety of fish and some skindivers.  I want the fishie game back!

I added Flickr and Ancestry Beta (haven't used that yet but it has already updated twice in the past two weeks).

Android allows me to read the Glitch Forums which is great!  I can't play but enjoy reading the Forums and can reply as well.

I added some Christmas Ringtones which I can play but can't for the life of me figure out how to use.  Also a Christmas Ringback which I can play but also find no way to have it play to my callers.

My Android Charge came with a fat little book which is half in foreign languages and the half that's in English is more of an ad about what it does than instructions on how to use it.  The phone also had some videos on how to use it but I have to take notes (sometime) because I can't find a users manual though there supposedly is one.

It came with Kindle and I installed some FREE books - Love This!
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Game wise Can Knockdown ftw, awesome and suprisingly addictive game plus Minecraft although atm its just the create mode if they ever add survival mode it'll be amazing
    Posted 12 years ago by Yee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I suggest picking up some sort of antivirus - I've been using Lookout and it works fine. But I did notice Avast finally got around to producing an app, so I may try that since I'm happy with their PC security.

Currently Google is running a $0.10 promotion on a select number of apps for 10 days, so I suggest looking that up too.

Otherwise: Evernote, Google Goggles, Barcode Scanner, Wordfeud (if you like Scrabble), Cut the Rope, Refraction, Godville, Defender, Game Dev Story, Astro File Manager.

If you're in the US, get the Amazon appstore app - they have a free app of the day and occasionally some really good apps pop up on it.

And if you want to experiment with other keyboards, I suggest either Swype or Swiftkey X. I'm using Swiftkey and am quite happy with it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Myuki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks everyone! (If anyone else has suggestions, I'm still open!)

I *just* bought Star Chart as it's currently 10p (or 10 cents or whatever appropriate to your market) and OMGSQUEEEE! It's like the Google Sky Map but prettier. The Sun is just below the horizon in the direction I happened to be facing when I opened up the app and there was lens flare.

I might have to go and lie down for 10 minutes now, I can't believe I'm *this* excited by an app. I might be sick...
    Posted 12 years ago by Hallirackit Subscriber! | Permalink