Topic

something to prove?

Hey all. I've had a crappy couple of days so maybe I'm being sensitive, but I've been really annoyed by something.  Which is people saying "you can't tell me what to do" and "I can do whatever I want" when they know for a fact that there's a place they can go to do what they want to do where it won't bother anybody. It's like they don't care as much about doing what they want to do as they do about showing everybody they can't be controlled.

No I can't force anyone to do anything.  But I don't understand how, for these people, they wouldn't want to take the action that allows them to be happy and others to be happy.  Maybe they thrive on conflict? Or need somehow to show (to themselves?) that they are powerful?

note: This is in off-topic for a reason. I am not looking for discussion of game mechanics or what have you because there is plenty of that elsewhere; I am looking instead for discussion of people's thoughts and motivations - perhaps someone can shed some light on this subject for me.

edit: Hubby reminded me when I talked to him that people playing this game might be lots younger than me and that might have a lot to do with it.

Posted 12 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• When I encounter bad behavior I usually think that the person must be very young.  I may be incorrect in my assumption.  Young people do have less experience and may be more prone to do what they want regardless of how it effects others.  Some people never grow up.

I also know that I cannot expect others to have the same ethics or morals that I have.  I often have to remind myself that just because I have certain expectations of behavior does not mean that everyone feels the same way.

We are a large community therefore we also have a wide range of cultures, ages, expectations, traditions, etc.  Some players come to "Glitch" from games where selfish behavior is part of the game.  They therefore play "Glitch" much as they play/played the other game.  If their persona was a "thief" for example, then they may be more likely to be a theif here.   I know that many games have a variety of "Classes", i.e. Thief, Knight, Magician, etc.  These players may carry those personas into this game.

Considering the above, I try to accommodate some "bad" behavior - the person is young and doesn't know better or the person was a Thief in another game and is still playing that role, etc.

I do get angry in some cases but most of the time I just move on, lesson learned.  I seldom meet the person again anyway so I usually have no more problem with them.  If I do meet them I recognize them and move on.  I don't need the grief.  There are many other places to go, many things to do.  I can replace what has been stolen if anything.  Although I have encountered "bad behavior" I have never reported anyone.  I have mentioned some things to other players though so that they can be aware.  Life is short, I am old, the Game is good.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the feedback - lots of good thoughts there.
  • Patterns of personality don't change just because someone is in a virtual world. Reactive people will react. Escalating people will escalate. Obnoxious people will be obnoxious.

People who've experienced bad things and been traumatized may be re-triggered by something that would be totally innocuous to another person.

Glitch is yet another reminder that the only thing one can truly control is —at best— one's own responses. If one chooses to avail oneself of it, it's an excellent environment in which to practice compassion, patience, generosity, creativity, and kindness.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fluxan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Must agree with Luxan and I am definitely, sadly, in the Reactive category.

However, properly done, reactive has its benefits :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Anya Karenya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Definitely a good thing to remember, Fluxan.