Topic

Anyone here play Dwarf Fortress?

It's a really different game from Glitch. One of the few similarities is that it's free.
I enjoy the deep simulation abilities of the Dwarf Fortress game.
The really cool inadvertent stories that arise are sometimes touching and epic.
For example;
Bravemule- a blog about the dwarve's lives: www.bravemule.com/
Bronzemurder- an infograpic type story PDF: http://www.eldritch.org/erskin/roleplaying/Bronzemurder.pdf 

I was wondering if anyone else who plays Glitch likes Dwarf Fortress.

If you haven't played it or heard about it here are some resources:
Wiki entry on the game: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf...
Main site of the game: www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Wiki about the game: dwarffortresswiki.org/index...

Posted 12 years ago by MeansDarling Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I do, but it's really confusing for me. I guess it's because the controls are all so new. It makes Minecraft look like a walk in the park! I have a little trouble with mining though - whenever I assign a dwarf to mine on a spot, they just won't mine.. or I just don't notice anything. D:
    Posted 12 years ago by Nayeli Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a big fan of DF but I haven't played in a while, definitely not since the new release. We had some good stories going back in the day on another forum I frequent:

nsoldfogies.dyndns.org/oldf...
    Posted 12 years ago by shipwreck Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Nayeli Maybe they don't have picks, or you haven't given them the miner job. There's also a problem if they are in the military assigned a weapon, or maybe you need to build a staircase into the ground before they can dig.  I guess I'd need specifics of what going on if you need help. 

@Shipwreck The recently updated game is cool (Vampires and Zombies) and Today One is doing bugfixes now. The clothing bug is online to be fixed. No more abandoned items lying around forever! Animal training is being changed too. I think he's going to fix a lot of stuff this time.
    That thread you linked looks pretty fun!
  • I am a HUGE fan of DF!  I definitely feel like, while the games themselves are completely different, there's a ton of crossover in how the community interacts with the game itself.  Both Glitch and DF players spend ridiculous amounts of time attempting to tease out all of the secrets of the algorithms and push to get the most out of each action, constantly pushing the boundaries of what the game can (and should) do. 

Also, we all revel in all the little easter eggs and great little touches that make each game special, be it the ability to push Krazy Salts (push it real good) in Glitch, or marveling at the intense (and surprisingly accurate) geological research that has gone into the dispersing of dozens of types of stone, soil, metal ores and gems in each world generated in Dwarf Fortress.

Anyway, I love both games, and I'm glad to see more DF players around.  I personally look forward to the day when TS introduces magma, so that we can more properly do !SCIENCE! in Glitch.  Until then, we'll just have to settle for many, many different varieties of booze. ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Magma is the answer to everything!
  • @Grem Sketch I agree! The people who play Glitch and those who play DF are both awesome.

@Shipwreck Yep. MAGMA! 
  • Firing up some DF as we...type. Good times to ensue! Anyone want to do a shared game?
  • @Shipwreck No thank you, but I am also playing DF. I'm going to experiment with 1x4 stairs for this fort, instead of 3x3 like I usually do.
  • Interesting. I usually only do one stair. Is there a big difference if you use more stairs or is it strictly aesthetical?
  • @shipwreck It helps them move easier. When there is one stair and a dwarf need to pass another dwarf, one of the dwarves crouches and allows the other to move over him. You can see that happening when two dwarves meet in a 1 tile hallway, one dwarf never slows down and the other stops in place for a second.

This happens in any choke point. It causes slowdown. Not a lot, but it's more efficient to allow for more room so they can dodge around one another instead of crouching. I'd think at least 3 stairs for a busy area is good. 

I was using a 3x3 column because it looks nice. 1x4 Lined up vertically doesn't look very good right now, but then I'm used to building my forts symmetrically. I think I might try a 2x2 next time. It's still four stairs, but more symmetrical like I'm used to.

So it makes a difference up to a certain point, then it's aesthetics.
  • I want to play DF sooo bad, but the learning curve is pretty steep and I'm a little slow sometimes :(. 

I love text games, but wowza.
    Posted 12 years ago by EzBreezy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Ralis It can be a little hard to get used to, but there are graphic packs. I use one by a guy called Phoebus. It makes the dwarfs look like little sprites instead of ascii. 

Also, for the learning curve, all you need to do is read up on it. There are even step-by-step guides. 

But it will definitely take more work than a lot of people are willing to put into a game.
    If you make it, you too will get to be an elitist gamer.  LOL
  • I think I'll try that! Hubby's out of town so maybe I'll have some peace, quiet and time to get into it this weekend :)
    Posted 12 years ago by EzBreezy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Ralis Good luck, and I hope you have fun!
  • I don't play it, but my dudepal does... I don't know much about the gameplay, but the fortress logs he writes make it seem pretty hilarious. 

I was big into Minecraft until it started to make my dinky old computer angry (about when pistons were released, I think).
    Posted 12 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Elyd I think Notch said that he was a bit inspired by DF when he made Minecraft. I'm bored of it right now. But I still have it. haha
    I like DF for the real-time-strategy aspect right now, but I appreciate how all the details in the game create amazing stories.
  • I am playing DF right now. I love it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ani Laurel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Ani Laurel I agree! I'm going to play the new version tomorrow. :+)