Topic

What's the danger of meta-discussions?

This is especially for anyone who has ever been a forum moderator or administrator, here or anywhere else, or who is otherwise familiar enough with forum administration to have some informed ideas about my question.

In some forums at least, possibly in all of them, administrators seem to be terrified of meta-discussions, that is, discussions about the discussions. The worst kind of abuse and flooding and off-topic distractions can be tolerated indefinitely, in open defiance of forum rules, but the least meta-discussion frankly labeled as such always results in almost instantaneous administrative action, even by the most hands-off administrators with the lightest touch.

I'm dumbfounded by explanations saying that meta-discussions are off topic, or might distract from and obscure other discussions, when I continually see other kinds of distraction and off-topic discussion tolerated indefinitely. The lack of action on other distractions and violations might be explained by the possible harmfulness of heavy-handed administration, which I agree with, but that doesn't explain why the most light-handed administrators always respond so instantly and decisively to meta-discussions.

Can anyone help me understand that?

ETA: Thinking about it some more, the way I've described this looks oversimplified and inaccurate. Also, I have a feeling about what might explain it, but I don't know how to put it into words, and I'm not at all sure about it. It might have something to do with possible effects on moderators, and/or how it might look on the surface to most people.

Posted 13 years ago by Ferond Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Though I am not certain a harsh crackdown on all meta discussions is a good solution, I can explain the fear speaking from...oh, ten years of consistent online forum experience. I believe I've seen every variation of messageboard drama out there.

Meta is like gossip, or the broken telephone game. The further you get from the original post, the less factual the discussion. In the case of a conflict, which is usually what generates meta-threads, people will start forming opinions and joining sides based on recaps, summaries, hearsay and skimming, instead of on the actual source of the argument. And once you've declared your alliance in a thread like that (which people often do in the heat of the moment) it's surprisingly difficult to change camp or even rectify your position. Especially since the conversation dilutes so quickly, your camp may not have anything to do with what the original difference of opinions was about!

In this case, having one mega-thread is not ideal but at least it keeps the sources confined to one place. You don't get dozens of little threads each spreading their own inaccurate version of what happened in the original one.

Another problem is that if the subject has riled up enough people, the meta-threads can easily overwhelm the forum. It quickly starts feeding itself- threads keep popping up, so people who wouldn't ordinarily care start reading them and get drawn into the fuss, they contribute, which can cause more meta-threads to appear...and soon it feels like everyone is fighting and people start leaving the forum in disillusion. Eventually, one of the original posters from the argument that spawned it all will break down and assume responsibility, and he will do so by making a long thread about how he is sorry and will now leave forever. Naturally, people flock to comfort him, and attack his opponent, and the fight that MIGHT have died down starts up again.

Repeat ad nauseam, with variations.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, Cefeida. That helps.

A more general answer to what has always puzzled (and sometimes enraged) me might be that what triggers immediate direct intervention is anything that might adversely affect, or threatens to adversely affect, the overall management of the forum.
  • Yeah, that bugs me too. It's all too easy to get it completely wrong. I haven't seen it on this forum, though, I feel like we are trusted to resolve conflicts without heavy-handed intervention from the mods. That might change now that so many new members have arrived...
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As far as this forum is concerned, it's been far more friendly towards my meta-discussions than any others I've been in.