Topic

Staff Topic

How to Test the New Houses

OK! Now you can test some parts of the new housing system. We're concentrating here on furniture and decoration (later releases will add the ability to craft new furniture, expand houses, cultivate land and use imagination to grow your yard and home street).

To try it out, get in the game type "/home" in local chat (it is deliberately hard to do right now so that people don't get confused and think this is *the* permanent switchover — this house is just for your testing and customizations will eventually be reset). When you're at home, there will be a new button which takes you back to the regular game world.

Once you go inside, you'll see the new furniture tab by your inventory and a "decorate" button at the top-right of the game. Go crazy. Upgrading furniture is all free right now (in the future, some upgrades will be subscriber-only and some will cost credits).

You can't get any more furniture for now and you also can't give, trade or sell furniture until the next release (or maybe the one after that). However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose.

To move furniture around and place items on furniture, you need to be in "decoration mode", which will hide your avatar and allow you to use the arrow keys to pan around your house.

You'll be switched to decoration mode automatically when you drag something out of your furniture bag, but you can also hit the "decorate" button in the top right of the game window.

To change wallpaper, ceilings and floors, hit the "swatches" button which appears in the top bar when you're in decoration mode. You can stamp the patterns on or drag them into place. For wallpapers you can either to a single segment or the whole wall at once.

Finally, though the land outside your house is fixed for now (you can't expand it or add/remove resources yet) you do have a customizable signpost outside: you can use that to add up to five signs pointing to the home streets of people from your friends list.

Any questions? Thoughts? ;)

See also:  Blog post  •  Video Demo

Note: If you don't see any furniture (or just your trophies) inside your furniture bag when you enter your house, type "/home" again.

Note 2: You can type "/home" from wherever you are in the world, including other people's houses.

Note 3: We will give plenty of notice before the real switchover to the new housing system and, if you own a regular in-world house at that time, all of the items inside it will be moved over automatically. You don't have to move everything yourself.

Note 4: Many questions and answers have been summarized in this (unofficial!) FAQ

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19
  • Sorry if someone's asked this already, but only the trophies that are NOT on display in my old house show up in my new one - so all the best ones (like chocolate bunny) are not there.

Can we have garden furniture sometime?

Otherwise, love love love :)  Thank you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tradescantia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just tried the housing test and it was so cute! everything worked smoothly.

Question: Will it be possible to move furniture closer to the front/to the invisible wall? Otherwise you get a 'Don't" from decorator's magazines, where everything is lined up against one wall (the far one).

RE: all the trophy questions from others, I assume the testers just gave us a few to use as a demo.  Not sure we will get as much free furniture as they gave us, either, in the real round.

thanks Tiny Speck!
    Posted 12 years ago by Chelseathing Subscriber! | Permalink
  • read through the thread, and didn't see this. Figure I'll post it now, because SOMEBODY's gonna get stuck and confused:

http://imgur.com/7ZnXT 

Be easier to just remove the block between the attic and the outside probably? I like being able to get up there but not everyone may figure out how to leave ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OK, so I didn't backread the whole thread.  One enhancement request is the ability to decorate the outside.  The mosaic table would look great as a patio piece :-) but you can only put stuff inside the house right now.  
    Posted 12 years ago by PTB3 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if this has been addressed or not, but you can't place anything on the (clam-shell) side tables.

Otherwise, this whole thing is making me insanely happy. Thank you so much, guys.

(Also, I assume you'll have more styles in the future, but can I put a bug in your ear for forest-themed stuff? Mushrooms and grass and things like that? Please don't take this for me being ungrateful. I just feel most at home in some type of Fairyland.)
    Posted 12 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've just been trying out the new house and I like it very much.

I do have some questions:

I planted a tree in the patch in my back garden: will this count towards the 'Seed to Scythe' quest? (Assuming the test period is long enough for it to grow up, that is)

I assume the trophies available in the new house are the ones not on display in my current house?

Will our Glichen be able to interact more with the furniture (ie sit on the chairs)?

Will I be able to add more patches for trees once the new system kicks in?

Will I be able to have my animals free-range in the new system? I don't want to have to use a pen.

I would also like to be able to add/change the rocks available for mining.

Sorry if these questions have already been asked - I joined this thread when it was already 8 pages long...
    Posted 12 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't know if it is a bug or not - I wanted to place my Emobear on my bed and the darn moon was attached to it - can't separate the two.

See pic here
    Posted 12 years ago by MzMunchken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks bees ..Look forward the the many different cupboards...You guys are really doing a great job keeping on top of all these questions...I don't know how you all do it..but well done  .. :D 

Thank you again. xx  
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • will we be able to get patio/outdoor furniture?

also, when i place things on the table next to my bed, they don't really sit ON it, but more float above it. will this be tweaked? (see link below)
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/430482_719624400217_44601453_34505966_210563232_n.jpg
    i like to have a cocktail before bed, so what?!

also, we have all these light fixtures...will there be a way to turn on and off the lights? :)
    having a lot of fun with this though, can't wait for more !
    Posted 12 years ago by Beans, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Holy shit!
    Posted 12 years ago by shipwreck Subscriber! | Permalink
  • not sure if this has been brought up, but when i place icons in decoration mode, they sometimes 'fly' across the room to the left corner. pretty irritating scrolling to the left and getting the icon back. also, TS does it again! awesome!
    Posted 12 years ago by Electric Wizard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How do you say awesome...AWESOME! Many,many thanks TS.
    Posted 12 years ago by miskey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cool! I can walk on my shelves! But there's still one little problem- I tried to place a table in front of a love sofa, but it either goes behind on first try, or stays on top of the sofa and dragging it to the ground won't work! But I love the idea of both crop and herb plots!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sweetie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very awesome!  One thing I noticed is when I first opened up the furniture tab, I had 2 beds, 4 rugs, etc.  Now, even though I have only placed 1 bed and 2 rugs, there are no more in inventory, that tab is not even there for those two items.  Nothing that important, but just checking...

Also having read that the front yard is public, is that going to kinda defeat the purpose of being able to decorate out there?  We know that other Glitchens will be able to make their way around to people's yards, and sadly, we also know that there are a small minority of people that WILL steal stuff left out.  Sure would be nice if stuff placed in the front yards were locked down...
    Posted 12 years ago by Cabinwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a question.  I am very worried that if I don't take out the food and stuff out of the house I have in Anrasan Glance, I will lose all of it!  PLEASE tell me the scoops on this.

Thanks,
    Deathly Horror
    Posted 12 years ago by FTW BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is wish and not a bug. I wish we could put two beds out because then I could use the rook bed as my proper bed and the yeti bed as my couch. :) If we could go back to the two bed option, it would be great.

Just one more shout out about how cool this is and how much I love the furniture. Last post I said how much I like the rook motif, but also super kudos on the floor-fish lamp (flish lamp). (flamp?) (i'm reaching.). Love it  a lot!
    Posted 12 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Deathly Horror -- You will be Lively Happy to know that you will keep all that stuff (see mult prev posts).

Addendum: stuff you take to new temp house: you keep (but not the furniture). Stuff you have at your real house (house you bought and paid for and have lived in) you keep and will get transported to your new home once they are done with the testing rounds. In the meantime (during testing) you get to have both houses (and, obv, all your stuff.).
  • So... when these become permanent, all the stuff will come to my new house?  *Puzzled look*
    Posted 12 years ago by FTW BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The only question I have is wether or not we'll be able to expand our houses without spending actual dollars?  Will our xp/level be transferred into credits?  I can't see continuing on with the game if there is no way to "earn" credits.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gyles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Since this thread has asploded I am not sure if this has been mentioned before - but I notice that the background image (the forest, sky, etc) flickers, occasionally. I can't pin down any specific behavior that makes it do that, though sometimes placing or adjusting furniture does.

Otherwise: LOVE IT!
    Posted 12 years ago by Aglet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love,I love my sea themed house, please can I have a mermaid outfit to go with it. Is there away to get into the loft ? If I jump I hit myself on the head. I would like to bring a few of my bags here, but not if they just clutter the lovely decor I have chosen. My music trophy are still in my old house, they did not move with my others. I also think it is great that those that subscribe have more to spend credits on, otherwise what would be the point of buying a subcription. Well done Tiny Speck.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Melody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Deathly Horror -- as I understand it. (IANAD.)
  • It's good to see that "all the hard work is starting to pay off", & it's pleasant to read that these new "housing features" are keeping many of my fellow Glitchens happily entertained! That sounds exciting, i'm looking forward to testing them myself !
    Thank you for giving us the opportunity to do so! :)))
    Posted 12 years ago by Leïla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The one issue that I have with the furniture is the inability to choose the right one to move if they are too close to each other. Let's say I put a lamp behind a plant, and if I want to move the lamp, I'd have to move the plant as well. I know it's not hard,  but I went through a lot of precision to place the plant just right so it would match up with the other plant. Is there any a way for me to "bring forward", "send backward" or something? Kind of like in Microsoft Word when you are inserting an image. That way it's easier to select which piece of furniture that needs adjusting.
    Posted 12 years ago by ☠ lala512 ☠ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just wanted to say that I can't seem to place the base of any machine in my attic! The other parts go there, but not the base segment. I don't know if this is intentional or not - I just wanted to put all my machine parts up there! I love my purple house though, and I can't wait to see all the bells and whistles you're releasing later on. :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Laerwen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • juv3nal & emdot & Cabinwood, etc.: you never really had 2 beds — there was an intermittent bug which caused ghost items to show up in the inventory/furniture bag which made it appear that you had double (or more) of each furniture item, but those items never existed. For now, we are just giving you a fixed amount of furniture to test. In the future you can make (or trade for) as much as you want.

Kitsune Kyomoon: "allow us to fill the picture frames with photos made using the Snapshotting skill" — yes!

snygyst: "as a firebog dweller I am unnaturally attracted to my firefly swarm and barnacles. Will we be able to buy/upgrade to these sort of features in future releases" — yes, you will be able to cultivate the land and start producing those things.

Gyles: credits will not be required to expand your house, and xp/level won't be transferred into credits.

Everyone who is asking if we'll have garden furniture: maybe!

Everyone who is asking if we will tweak the visual of placement of items on surfaces or the look of items or whether we will add more options in the future, etc.: yes — this is an early testing release of part of the whole system. We're not done yet.
  • lala512: yeah, there are many cases where one furniture item in front of another makes it hard or impossible to select the one behind, even when it seems you should be able to … this is tricky for complex reasons, but we are working on making it better.
  • If you kick someone off your street, the person lands inside your house, even if he has no key.  If you then go into your house and kick him back out, he lands on your street again.

I'm sad to see that there's no privacy on the street at all... with all the good ideas we've been giving staff about drop boxes and the like, I thought maybe our streets would be a bit more secure, perhaps only accessible to friends... as it is, it invites griefing of a sort which staff does not even view as problematic.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can we make the chook/butterfly/piggie sticks, so they can hide behind a tree or at least make them smaller, they are kinda clunky and ugly, I put mine right at the end of my yard in my test house for now.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Annie~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, and by the way, where's the cabinet? If you let someone have a key... ok it's not so important since they can acess it anyway, but just letting someone in when they knock... you need a private space or else they'll take from the attic!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sweetie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can't place Garden Gnome outside house on our street...?
    Posted 12 years ago by Syruss Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if it's been asked already, but will we be able to change the look/shape of the room? I love how roundy the rooms are in the bog houses, I would miss it so much!

Also, will there me more credit-free decorating options? I don't want to lose my lovely house just because I can't afford to pay for things with real money... 

Sorry, I'm just really, really attached to my current house.
    Posted 12 years ago by Loki Laufeyson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU   :D  So far so good....I can hardly wait to see what else you have in store for us...like if we get to expand our houses and streets....like put the background trees and the other landscaping where we want as much or little as we want (within a certain boundary of course is understandable)  and maybe be able to build our own little cliffs and tunnels on our streets would be awwwwwsome!  And plant egg trees in those tunnels...and put batterflies in there   :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Pink Daisy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love the new housing!
    First of many thoughts: I think that it would be cool to have pantry shelves for storing produce for a kitchen area. and fire places/stoves

Jope
    Posted 12 years ago by Jope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was able to suss out a subtle bug with my low-level alt (Sturm i')

* As a low-level, and intentionally trying to avoid any and all XP [character goal is to never hit level 6], Sturm i' has never bought a house.
    * Upon logging in, I was slapped with the Homesteader badge, since I now have a /home (see note below)
    * Went to my keyring, and tried to send keys out. The keyring "create" dialog went through all steps, and gave a "You have sent..." response.
    * Reopening the keyring, the "List of keyholders" was empty
    * Finding this odd, I remade the key for Sturm 5, just to be sure I didn't goof up the create / send process
    * I then logged in as Sturm 5. Sturm 5 actually saw the key in his keyring, but teleport-to-house gave "location does not exist"
    * I then walked to Sturm i' /home, and tried to enter the door. Got the "not online" message

Note: As an aside, I find the +400 XP inconvenent, however with the concept of an automatic /home (prior staff posts said you cannot be homeless) the badge itself seems exceedingly pointless. Perhaps change the achievement conditions to some act(s) of housewarming would make it more meaningful, rather than the simple existance of a /home. This would also preserve the badge on leaderboards.

Update: Sturm i' can use keys from other Glitchen
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator i` Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As a whole some functional furniture would be awesome :) Perhaps make it so you can access the cooking menu from cooking tools dropped on counters? That'd be awesome. Perhaps a small cooking bonus, similar to the one in the machine room, for cooking with your utensils at home in a 'kitchen' designated room?
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not sure if this suggestion was made or not but it would be awesome if we could change the direction of the furniture if we wanted to. Like instead of it facing E and W. We can place it to face N and S.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pink Daisy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Q1] How much control will we have over who has access to our street? At the moment, anyone can add me as friend an then access my street - are there any plans to alter the system so that I can allow/disallow certain individuals? Perhaps limit it to mutual friends?

Q2] How much control over my street would people be given? Will they be able to poison my trees, for example? Should the house street be considered as a public area?
    Posted 12 years ago by Quibba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Side question - any chance we could get something other than a metal rock?
  • glum pudding: we're working on the bug with kicking/house entry right now and it will be fixed soon (this is an early test of part of the housing system — expect bugs and something less than the complete set of features).

Rory Pond: Round-y rooms, Firebog styles and more free options are coming.

Sturminator i`: thanks for the details — we're looking into it!

Liza Throttlebottom: functional furniture — yes!

Jope: pantry shelves — yes!

Quibba, to both questions: we haven't made all the final decisions yet on access control, but the best way to think about it is a public street which is designed/maintained/controlled by one player.
  • "5 of my original trophies dissappeared."
    they're still in your old house i bet!

"when will the test houses be removed?"
    when they're replaced with the next test houses

"can we use the houses for extra plots for now?"
    yes

"When I want to split things in my inventory, to fill up a slot, it won't let me"
    we're working on that

"In my case, dolls placed in chairs were able to be picked up by non-keyholders invited in."
    sounds like a bug. we'll fix that

"Maybe the feeling will be different when there is more customizable content outside the house..."
    it will be!

"last I checked, I only have the option for 1 bed in my tester house"
    i suspect you only had one to start with - 2 was a display bug

"i love the way the swatches panel is drag-able.  any chance that the main UI might be broken apart into modules or pieces like that?"
    we're doing some UI overhauls shortly

"the office chair looks weird to me and should be turned around toward the desk, or the desk should be rotated and against the side wall"
    that means redrawing those pieces, rather than just flipping them by computer. perhaps!

"does everything have to stay against the back wall?"
    no? try dragging it forward

"will i be able to use my furniture; ie, sit on chairs, sofas?"
    it's not presently planned, but we're thinking about it

"Could we please not loose mood and energy while we decorate?"
    i think we'll change this - it seems silly to me!

"not only icons, but for example also music blocks tend to float a bit above side tables etc"
    yup, known problem

"Unlike clothing, if I buy something I only get one of that thing."
    nope, you really only get one of something in the wardrobe. promise

"if I pay 25 credits to upgrade one of my ceiling lamps to be an octopus, then change my mind and pay 40 credits to make it a jellyfish, then change my mind and want the octopus back, I have to pay another 25 credits"
    don't upgrade the same lamp - get 2 different lamps (and we should warn about this)

"Would you guys be weirded out if I make a version of that OctoCouch IRL? "
    no! that would be super-awesome

"Specifically, will we be able to add to our mining resources as in upgrading from 1 metal rock to a sparkly?"
    yes!

"And of course what about all the other renewable resources such as fireflies, barnacles, peat bogs etc. ? "
    yes times 10!

"at my orignal house a friend planted a pumpkin in my crop garden around noon on Thursday.  When i logged on later that evening and was told how to access my new house, in the backyard there was a pumpkin growing at the same stage as the one at my other house."
    i think that means someone *also* planted one in your new house at the same time

"I put the trophies out on a shelf in my new house, and after doing so, i noticed that when they are examined they say this morning that i got them 11 hours ago, but that is actually when i placed them on display."
    we'll look into that

"One great addition would be to allow us to fill the picture frames with photos made using the Snapshotting skill"
    i know, right???

"also, only three or four of my trophies transferred over. don't know if that's a bug or not. just thought i'd let you know!"
    is the other one on display in your old house?

"will we be able to change the exterior *look* of our homes?"
    yes

"how do we find our friends houses?"
    teleport from their profile (in the future). have them summon you. save a teleport point. change your signpost

(i'm a bit behind on overnight replies, bear with me!)
    Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "with the concept of an automatic /home (prior staff posts said you cannot be homeless) the badge itself seems exceedingly pointless." - well, yes. but this is just a demo. right??
  • "any chance we could get something other than a metal rock?" - not in this demo release. in a future release, sure

(reply 100! i can stop now)
  • Thank you for the update. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Quibba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Would love for dolls to be flippable.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be nice to have another 5-friend post at the other end of the street.  The programming for a 5-friend post is done and this would give people 10 friend signposts.  

I doubt I'll see this, but in my ideal world your street and backyard view, or at least backyard view, would match the region where you left the world.   So if you were in the firebogs and entered /home, your street would have a fireboggy look and so would your yard.   From the meadow everything would be rainbows and flowers, from the heights it would be mountain views, yadda.  

Edited to clarify that this would only apply to the background layers, not the house or yard itself. 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Question.  can you go home from hell?
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Round-y rooms, Firebog styles and more free options are coming." Yay to that!
    and...
    Please also let us have the option of rooftop gardens in a somewhat sterile mansion,
    since they are my fav. Spent most of my time there.
    Fantastic job TS and thanks Bees! for all the updates! :DD
    Posted 12 years ago by Maruchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "with the concept of an automatic /home (prior staff posts said you cannot be homeless) the badge itself seems exceedingly pointless." - well, yes. but this is just a demo. right??

Yes, but the stoot chat from way back indicated the /home would be create automatically when a new Glitchen started. That my lvl 5 got slapped an extra +400 XP is just a demo issue, but long term (automatic day 0 houses) the badge (as currently defined) is pointless. I'd like the badge to still exist (to preserve leaderboard integrity), but have some actual value in the future state.
  • I would like to choose the regional back ground for both my street and yard and have it persist no matter where I return home from.  I would find it quite disconcerting to have my house do a Baba Yaga walk-about 
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19