Topic

Staff Topic

How to Test the New Houses

OK! Now you can test some parts of the new housing system. We're concentrating here on furniture and decoration (later releases will add the ability to craft new furniture, expand houses, cultivate land and use imagination to grow your yard and home street).

To try it out, get in the game type "/home" in local chat (it is deliberately hard to do right now so that people don't get confused and think this is *the* permanent switchover — this house is just for your testing and customizations will eventually be reset). When you're at home, there will be a new button which takes you back to the regular game world.

Once you go inside, you'll see the new furniture tab by your inventory and a "decorate" button at the top-right of the game. Go crazy. Upgrading furniture is all free right now (in the future, some upgrades will be subscriber-only and some will cost credits).

You can't get any more furniture for now and you also can't give, trade or sell furniture until the next release (or maybe the one after that). However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose.

To move furniture around and place items on furniture, you need to be in "decoration mode", which will hide your avatar and allow you to use the arrow keys to pan around your house.

You'll be switched to decoration mode automatically when you drag something out of your furniture bag, but you can also hit the "decorate" button in the top right of the game window.

To change wallpaper, ceilings and floors, hit the "swatches" button which appears in the top bar when you're in decoration mode. You can stamp the patterns on or drag them into place. For wallpapers you can either to a single segment or the whole wall at once.

Finally, though the land outside your house is fixed for now (you can't expand it or add/remove resources yet) you do have a customizable signpost outside: you can use that to add up to five signs pointing to the home streets of people from your friends list.

Any questions? Thoughts? ;)

See also:  Blog post  •  Video Demo

Note: If you don't see any furniture (or just your trophies) inside your furniture bag when you enter your house, type "/home" again.

Note 2: You can type "/home" from wherever you are in the world, including other people's houses.

Note 3: We will give plenty of notice before the real switchover to the new housing system and, if you own a regular in-world house at that time, all of the items inside it will be moved over automatically. You don't have to move everything yourself.

Note 4: Many questions and answers have been summarized in this (unofficial!) FAQ

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19
  • When I switch to decorate mode (happens on accident when I'm moving stuff from bags to shelves) I disappear and don't come back until I leave the house. My dot is on the room map but not that avatar. This only happens when I switch to decorate mode and am still doing an action with an item in inventory.

ETA: It sticks me in edit mode, that's what happens. But it should not be that easy to switch between modes. When you try to drag and drop an item off a shelf, it assumes you're editing even if it doesn't, which does not match the default behavior anywhere else in the world.
    Posted 12 years ago by JohnaMarie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Millie, though actually they appear to be different items:

Earlier someone said:  http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/17340/page6/#reply-177952

But the Industrial Space Ship desk looks like this:  http://i.imgur.com/k5oKx.png

Meanwhile the Spaceship table (which might have been deleted because they looked the same before, but actually looks different):  http://i.imgur.com/NPMVu.png

In summary, one of the furniture that got deleted actually looked different, but somehow they got named the same furniture item class.
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @TomC It was a duplicate of another item with the same appearance but different name.
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would like it if, when we are in sitting mode, we don't lose energy or mood.  That way, we can seat our glitches when we are heavily into a chat, or decorating.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jewel Stoned Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bees! aha!

Jewel Stoned: There's a sitting mode???
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Audaria It's one of the suggestions people have made, but it doesn't exist atm :)
  • I've got a bug. My table is inappropriately naked. I had customized it (round space ship style), but the last couple of times I entered my house it has appeared as a plain table, all rough and brown for everyone to see. I typed /home again. Nothing. I exited & re-entered the world. Still nothing. When I click on the table in decorating mode and select "change type" its type doesn't appear as an option - so some part of the game knows I have it, but not the part that lets me see it.

Should we keep bug reports to the bug reporting system now? This is a whale of a thread.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I haven't read past page four, so forgive me if these things have been addressed:

- I tried to drop some carved pumpkins outside a friend's house, and the pumpkins would not leave my inventory.  Are we not allowed to drop things at friends' houses anymore?  (more in the next point)

- That brings up another issue.  People will be "sign-surfing" to see friends of friends' houses, and I'd rather not have someone decide to come and "tee-pee" my street.  I'd love to have a place where people can leave things for you to find.  Perhaps Glitch could instigate some kind of gift-giving system  Kind of like a mail-slot for people to leave gifts in, and which only the owner of the property can access.  That would address the issue two-fold:  The ability for random acts of kindness from strangers, and the continued ability to leave gifts for friends and not "mess up" their house.

- When I was decorating, I tried some items from my inventory, then decided I didn't like them where I had placed them.  When I tried to drag the items back to my bag, I got a message that the item was too far away to proceed.  I exited decorating mode, and when I tried to drag the items to my bag, it put me back in decoration mode, where of course I had the same problem. :(  Will decorating with inventory items be a bit more user-friendly at some point? (Ah, scrolling back, I see WindBorn already asked this question)

- It would be REALLY nice to be able to go into decoration mode, make changes how we want, and THEN click on a confirmation button to pay for the items we've decided on.  During this testing process, I found that I was "buying" items that didn't actually look good in my house.  Even having an UNDO button would work... or both!  I like to be able to see the design before I purchase!  It's actually an issue I have with hats in our wardrobe.  Some hats only work with certain hairstyles, and I want to be able to see what they will look like without having to buy first (and without having to switch back and forth between vanity and wardrobe 30 times to check out how each hairstyle looks with the hat(s) I'm considering.)

- Please allow the ability to change the background style in our yards.  I know that my FS friends and I really enjoyed changing up our homes to reflect the seasons and holidays.  I might want something like Groddle Meadow or Uralia during springtime, Groddle Heights during the winter, or Shimla Mirch in the Fall!  From looking at the home screens that have been posted, I can see that Glichians are just as creative, and I'm positive they'd love to have this option!

Please, please, please, please, please? *_*

It would mean creating a few more background templates - I don't mean that the terrain itself should change (ie. hills, stairs, etc), just the basic background templates.

That's all for now~! *salutes*
    Posted 12 years ago by Genkicoll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah, thank you Millie!
  • I can't find the duplicate of the table that was removed! ): I can find a similar spaceship themed one in the desk category, but it's a different shape. It's square, whereas the one I'm looking for is round. Anyone know where it is?
    Posted 12 years ago by Xacau Feera Blin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Genkicoll 
    1 carved (and lit) pumpkins have different rules than most items
    3 decorating with normal items will be improved
    4 staff have said an undo button sounds like a good idea
    5 staff have confirmed that the backdrop of your house will be changeable
  • My issue is that I play for free and don't plan to start paying real money when the housing is changed. I think there are not enough options that are appealing in the "for free" options.

Now you can call me cheap and I know there are many of you that spend real money on cloths already but I do think that those who play for free add to the game and while this is a for profit company and the idea is to entice us to buy stuff I think you still want to also keep those who play for free playing, who knows when they just may convert to subscribing. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Star Gazer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Star Gazer More free options are coming. (lots of stuff for everyone, it sounds like :))
  • @shakha, my round spaceship table reverted to a plain one. The round spaceship table should be in the "tables" category. I smell a plot.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In reply to Stargazer, and directed at Glitch staff:

It would be great to have some of the decorations buyable via currants (in-game), and others via credits (real life).  That would give both the paying and non-paying Glitches something to work towards.
    Posted 12 years ago by Genkicoll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Aleph Zero, That happened to me too. I was told that it was removed because an identical table was found under another name, but I can't find it anywhere. However, it's pretty early where I am, and until I've had my cup of tea, I might just not be capable of checking thoroughly. Still, I keep trying and it is nowhere to be found.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xacau Feera Blin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "When I switch to decorate mode (happens on accident when I'm moving stuff from bags to shelves)"
    This is a bug we will fix

"I would like it if, when we are in sitting mode, we don't lose energy or mood."
    We're going to stop energy/mood loss while decorating

"I've got a bug. My table is inappropriately naked."
    I think we removed a (bugged) table choice. Sorry! Time to re-decorate!

"Are we not allowed to drop things at friends' houses anymore?"
    You should be - pumpkins are special though!

"I'd love to have a place where people can leave things for you to find."
    That's coming soon-ish. You're going to love it, I bet.

"When I tried to drag the items back to my bag, I got a message that the item was too far away to proceed."
    Bug! We will fix

"Please allow the ability to change the background style in our yards"
    Mentioned in the original topic - this is coming in a future release

"I think there are not enough options that are appealing in the "for free" options."
    This is only a fraction of what will be available when we launch for real

"It would be great to have some of the decorations buyable via currants"
    Highly likely!
    Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • is there an undo button im missing in decorate. I spent ages on the wallpaper then accidently went over the whole thing with one design again
    Posted 12 years ago by Sherbert Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I believe the deleted table was actually working fine and it was only deleted because the name was duplicated (but the art was not). Perhaps the desk was incorrectly named:

Desk: http://c2.glitch.bz/furniture/2012-02-20/1329789416-furniture_table_spaceship_table.swf

Round Table that got deleted but perhaps shouldn't have been: http://c2.glitch.bz/furniture/2012-03-01/1330652960-furniture_table_spaceship_table.swf

Both have "furniture_table_spaceship_table" but they look different.
  • I'd love it if our yards were sufficiently high so that rainbow potions could be used without 'disappearing' up into the sky. So they should be higher than alakol houses :)

The perfect form of backyard entertainment, though, would be the ability to have an air vent like in Krystal Kaos. I'd pay a lot for one of those. Or having an anti garvity room like Plexus.
    Posted 12 years ago by Joe Blow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Am loving it already,. can't wait for the release...

Now have to go and check out the wallpaper!
    I agree, having decoration and furniture available to purchase with currants would be great. I guess that will come with the ability to craft new items. So exciting...
    Posted 12 years ago by Arietty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A private anti-gravity room would be perfect for Glitch item art formations!
  • "I'd love it if our yards were sufficiently high..."
    When you add floors to your house (next release), your garden gets higher

"the ability to have an air vent like in Krystal Kaos"
    good idea!
  • People should be able to add furniture to their homes and then click on a save button to save the layout and spend any credits required just like in the wardrobe.
    Posted 12 years ago by Macs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Macs: We're probably not going to do that. You never know, though.
  • Just wanted to chime in and mention that I am compiling a list of the FAQ in this thread, I plan to have it done later tonight!
    Posted 12 years ago by Abby Cadabra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will we be able to have windows to look out on our soon to be beautiful scenery.

Will lamps/light fitting be turn on/off able?

I'd love a bubble tube light, or a animated larva lamp, is that a possible addition for the future?

I so want the air vent from Krystal Kaos, but a nylon phool would be wonderful too,

My Yeti would love some snow themed furniture especially a snow ball chair/bean bag and snow/icy wallpaper and an icy shard wall light oooh a snowflake rug well you get the idea :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will we be able to change the height of our ceilings in the future?
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry, double post.
  • I would love to have the option, while in decorating mode, of selecting an object and being able to nudge it one pixel at a time using the arrow keys. Not that I'm compulsive about lining things up perfectly or anything.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It seems to be a good start, and quite fun to decorate something. I was really hoping at least aspects of it would be a bit more free form like Minecraft, but will take basic decorating/changing abilities for now which is much more Rango or Free Realms like.

Will echo the request to have some items free, some items for currants, some items for credit, and some for subscriber credit.  Maybe make color changing options available for currants.

Didn't realize initially that I could click on the items listed at the bottom of the furniture inventory to just get a list of them, but it is cool that you can!  However, I would like the full furniture inventory to have some grouping or sort feature.

Was hoping there would be something for us to use those blocks and bricks on that we craft in game.  Hoping that maybe they will be used in the 'house expansions' that are still to come.

Love the idea of saving your current house settings...wish it would truly be considered.

If the only way to get back into the game is via teleporation, what happens to new players that don't have that skill yet?  Are they stuck at home until it is learned?  I'd like to see a signpost that takes me to certain preset spots in game - like sign for a place on each island/region, maybe near the subway stations?

Can we get floor and ceiling colors in sections vice only the whole floor?  Would like to match sections of wall papers to make different rooms with sections of flooring and possibly sections of ceiling.

I see most of my other questions were answered in the rest of the pages of posts.  Thanks for keeping up with all the questions.  Look forward to the upcoming changes for expanded options.  Again, this was a cool start...thanks for the chance to test!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lone Wolfette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I dislike that most items cost many credits. I was happy this game was one of the few that you really don't need to purchase anything! These new items are tempting, but I won't be spending money!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lulu Muffin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the pallet of available furniture will continue to grow with time. Both free selections and ones that cost credits will become more numerous as content is added in the future. A lot of people seem angry that there is furniture that costs credits but its just like the clothing. These are decorative items rather than ones that affect game mechanics in any way. It's purely cosmetic and optional which is quite different from how a lot of games strong arm you into paying by making things that are core to the gameplay cost money.
    Posted 12 years ago by Melting Sky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @lulu I'm assuming we're going to be spending Imagination rather than Credits, which wasn't put into this demo at all. Also, we'll be able to craft (and sell...? I hope I read that right.) our own furniture at some point. 

Everything will probably happen in phases. Be patient.
    Posted 12 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Will we be able to have windows to look out on our soon to be beautiful scenery."
    Yes

"Will lamps/light fitting be turn on/off able?"
    Yes

"I'd love a bubble tube light, or a animated larva lamp, is that a possible addition for the future?"
    Yup!

"I so want the air vent from Krystal Kaos, but a nylon phool would be wonderful too"
    Probably not soon, but maybe!

"Will we be able to change the height of our ceilings in the future?"
    Probably not, but multiple floors will be available

"I would love to have the option, while in decorating mode, of selecting an object and being able to nudge it one pixel at a time using the arrow keys."
    This would be cool, but we have no concept of selecting an item (aside from while you're dragging it) at the moment

"I would like the full furniture inventory to have some grouping or sort feature."
    yup, that's coming

"Was hoping there would be something for us to use those blocks and bricks on that we craft in game."
    Coming soon

"Love the idea of saving your current house settings...wish it would truly be considered."
    Wish noted.

"If the only way to get back into the game is via teleporation, what happens to new players that don't have that skill yet?"
    It's not - you click the "leave" button

"Can we get floor and ceiling colors in sections vice only the whole floor?"
    Perhaps - it doesn't work like you'd think because of perspective.

"I dislike that most items cost many credits."
    More free options will be available when we release the real thing.

"I'm assuming we're going to be spending Imagination rather than Credits"
    Not for furniture. Imagination is used to "grow the world". Soon!

"Also, we'll be able to craft (and sell...? I hope I read that right.) our own furniture"
    Yup. Crafting is where all furniture comes from!

"Everything will probably happen in phases. Be patient."
    THIS IS THE TRUTH
  • Thanks Bees!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lone Wolfette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jukebox to change music? Vendors in our homes? Plzzz :)
    Posted 12 years ago by daniel5457 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey, I don't know if this is a question or suggestion or what, but: There should be a way to decorate the place, then a sort of "final checkout" at the end so you can see what it looks like and if you really want that wallpaper (or whatever) before you drop those credits. A "sandbox mode", if you will. 

I know it's just a demo, and I know I should take my own advice to be patient. But, you know. We're all testing your product, and I can easily see me spending about a million dollars on Glitch the way this demo is set up. That's a little worrisome.
    Posted 12 years ago by girlthulhu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've got the trophy bug. Only have the pepper pot and music block trophies in my new house.
    Love the direction and update enough to finally buy subscription. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by jiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Jukebox to change music?"
    Displaying all your blocks on a shelf is part-way there, but this would be cool. We have some plans...

"Vendors in our homes?"
    We have some ideas along these lines, but not in the next few months.

"I can easily see me spending about a million dollars"
    I wish! But seriously, you can only spend credits you already bought.
  • Ok. Thanks Bees! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by daniel5457 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the answer to my OctoCouch question, Bees!

As a side note, since I am planning on creating a jellyfish lamp inspired by the new one for a fellow Glitch, how does Tiny Speck feel about the subject of people making irl versions of Glitchy stuff and selling them?
    I know that there is an Etsy seller already making needlefelted keychains based on the squid cubimal. And I've heard quite a few fellow Glitches expressing an interest in various items in game being made real. If another Glitch decides to commission me to make them an OctoCouch for a few hundred bucks, am I going to hear from Stoot's lawyers about TS wanting their cut of my hard earned profits if I don't make major design changes?
    If so, I'd rather know in advance.
    I know I'm making enough changes with the jelly lamp to be covered under copyright law, but it's still a question.
    Posted 12 years ago by Murri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry, another extra post! My iPad is mean to me.
  • Freaks out with excitement about THIS.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My one question: Hell-Style housing?
    Posted 12 years ago by The Mighty Dino Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hate to ask questions when your all so busy...I have looked , but there is so much to read.

I can't place my icons in the test house, is this normal.. or a bug? 

Thanks and sorry..if its already been discussed. :-/

P.s my separation anxiety is lessening .. I am warming to my new house and half way to accepting that I am going to lose my beloved old house... :-/ x 

Actually, my new house is gorgeous..I luv it :D x
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry if it's already been asked, but are we going to have access to the world map from inside our house?
    Posted 12 years ago by Mablem Tiipot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Hell-Style housing?"
    Not much of a question! Assuming you mean "can i have...", then probably!

"I can't place my icons in the test house"
    What happens?

"are we going to have access to the world map from inside our house?"
    probably not
  • will we eventually be able to have more then two trees on our house street?
    Posted 12 years ago by wuilyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Bees!:

It's more of a spatial thing. As long as I can expand the house, I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Right now, I have one of those giant, sterile looking homes in Andra with three floors to work with, so comparing apples to oranges in this case, I'm less than thrilled.

I still would like a Mystical Findusing Orb that will take all my stuff and store it in the fluffy dream clouds of my imagination, and project an item into my hands or a bag if I search-magine for it, though. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Xial Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19