Topic

The great circuit of glitch home streets.

Ok, so the idea is to make a big circuit of glitch streets. So everyone in the circuit points their bottom sign to the next person on the circuit. 

As people opt in, I'll add them to the TOP of the list here, and they point their bottom sign to the person right below them in the list, and I'll update my bottom sign to point to the new top of the list. So once you're part of the grand tour, you never have to edit your bottom sign again as new people join. (Unless the next person decides to drop out.)

If you want, add a "navigation gnome" or a note next to your sign to help people on their way. And that is required if you're not using the bottom most sign or you're part of other loops. If you need assistance with purchasing a gnome, let me know! (And some people like notes, as you can read them at your pace and not have to wait for the gnome to speak again if you miss it)

Post here, and I'll try and get to the list at least once a day. (* = not yet linked)

I also have a group if you wish to join: http://www.glitch.com/groups/RIFFLR6CTSP266I/

Here is the current list:

Maxy Cat*
Aero *
Ahryantah*
narie*
auntie skeptic
Imberis
awdrone*
AwesomeCardinal2000
Merth
Axa
Yamamanama
Woggle
Kitty Howard
Tibbi
Ermine the Unwise
Tacy
Jake
lulu muffin
Mavis
devioussocks
Pokey Pea
UK Glitchers
Zeezah Leelou
EmiB
Wuilyl
IrenicRhonda
zenny
dagny taggart
Lord Rio
FlatEarther
LadyGrey
ha2la
Aurora Dellaterra
Fadas Néboa
Jugni
Pascale
SallySomeone
EE Cummings
Clevercharactername
Bep
shakestir*
Sequoia Baer
Galnoir
N. Scrutible
Crashtestpilot
Green Fairy
mr granberry
veneziagurl
rachaelah
Calaithiel
Feylin
Megha
Crrrystal 
Rosa Boo
Mister Sortex
Treesa
Sturminator 5
The Prophet
Star Gazer
Moehr Ossum
lala512
Pii
Carl Projectorinski
Dasher
Bexley
Mysterious Hermit
Abby Cadabra
Jaxxed
Coke
Sweet Stuff Ng
Dr. Babycat
Jope
railroadbaron
Vixen
Karaline
LokiPDX

Posted 12 years ago by LokiPDX Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3
  • OK, I'll join it!
    Posted 12 years ago by railroadbaron Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, railroadbaron! You're on the train. :) So you now point to Vixen. I'll mail Vixen and Karaline as they just responded to a personal update, so they haven't seen this yet.
  • I'll do it! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Jope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great idea! Count me in.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr. Babycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What if we want to be in the big circuit but also in the resource groups?
    http://www.glitch.com/groups/RHVP8CB5LHP2U8O/ 

Perhaps this group could use the 2nd from the bottom? Or the top?

--Me
    Posted 12 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Include me please. Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sweet Stuff Ng Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm in! Sign me up!
    Posted 12 years ago by Coke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please add me. Thanks.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jaxxed Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, I have added, Dr. Babycat, Sweet Stuff Ng, Coke, and Jaxxed, and pointed my bottom sign to Jaxxed. So if you look at the spreadsheet, Jaxxed -> Coke -> Sweet Stuff Ng -> Dr. Babycat -> Jope

@SchWM: Yes, I agree there is an issue there. Scarlett and I came up with very similar ideas independently. Would everyone in this group rather use their top-most sign? I did put in for a feature idea of being able to color-code signs here: http://www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/17475/  I think Scarlett has a great idea there too. There could be loops for specific architectures, philosophies, etc. I love this sort of emergent behavior, and I look forward to the awesome mapping tools that'll be made to show maps of these organic networks. Probably someone could write their math/comp-sci master's thesis on these once they get big.

I am not attached to bottom vs. top, I just thought people would want their closer friends on the top. But if everyone here wants to do top for the grand circuit so they can use bottom for resource loops, I'll happily switch over.
  • Loki - that's exactly why I also thought about using the bottom-most sign on the post for the resource loops, at least to begin with, because I thought people might be more reluctant to give up that "top-most" sign position.  As we get control over more front-yard resources, I thought we might end up using other sign positions for other kinds of routes - the fourth one for mining resource routes, the third one for bog resource routes, and so on.

One idea that has come up that is really a great one (thanks tis!) is to use a gnome to announce to visitors that they are on a route, and which sign to follow to stay on the route.  This might make it easier to accommodate multiple routes in the same yard?

But it's all just works-in-progress at the moment.  It will all get reset someday soon enough and then we can in do it again, applying everything we've learned about the process then.  That might be a good time to settle on some mutual frameworks.  I also like that idea about architechture-based loops and other fun stuff.  WOOT emergent gameplay :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarlett Bearsdale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, I'm interested in joining! So, are we certainly going for topmost for this one? Or second to bottom?
    Posted 12 years ago by Abby Cadabra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This sounds like fun - add me to the list, please!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mysterious Hermit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We could join the two groups.
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I did the bottom sign, and I like that - I'm more likely to visit my friends than run the circuit on a daily basis, you know?
    Posted 12 years ago by Karaline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm in, and I'd like to add a vote in favor of navigation gnomes - this way people could donate whichever signposts they want to whichever loops they want, and the navigation gnome could spell it out regardless of which spot on the signpost people have things listed.

I'm not sure which loop I'd end up on yet but it's likely to be related to bog stuff and, if possible, to fireflies :)

A simple note by the sign could also work for those who don't want to use a gnome, since they're virtually free, you can copy the info from a note you keep safe somewhere in case you need to replace it, and etc.

...And as for friends, while it might be a nuisance for some, I remember their names well enough to just update my friend's position - my top post, usually - to whoever I'd like to visit. But I'd like my house to sort of connect with everything in a more permanent way too.
    Posted 12 years ago by Moehr Ossum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This a great idea!  Put me on the route, please.
    Posted 12 years ago by Bexley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We are using gnomes for the Community Kitchen network. I think this gives a bit more flexibility.

(Note: The Community Kitchen network is a bit different because people can decide on their own which, if any, other members they put on their sign post. This wouldn't be as efficient for the harvesting runs, but for us it avoids the problem of broken links and gives people more freedom in how they use their signposts.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm in.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dasher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love to join the route.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll join!
    Posted 12 years ago by ☠ lala512 ☠ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm in!
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, I've updated the spreadsheet adding Carl Projectorinski -> lala512 -> Pii -> Dasher -> Bexley -> Mysterious Hermit -> Abbey Cadabra -> Jaxxed

Since we've already started with a bottom sign-post, I put in the spread sheet the suggestion to continue to use that (also per Karaline). I like the garden gnome/note suggestion. I really hope they add color-coding to the signs. This'll also be good practice trying to work out the bugs in our own systems. It'll be interesting to see whether making it a group is better or maintaining a spreadsheet or whatever. Chime in with ideas!

I could also see tourism/grand circuit just being another "resource" loop.

So I'd suggest defaulting to bottom sign unless you've got a gnome that says otherwise.

I'll go point myself to Carl Projectorinski. (had to edit this. helps to refresh your browser page first!)
  • Please add me next round. thanks
    Posted 12 years ago by Star Gazer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Add me in, please! =)
    Posted 12 years ago by The Prophet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, I got missed! I was pointing to Jaxxed originally, but if you can still slot me in somewhere, that'd be great! I am using the bottom signpost as well.
  • Ok, I've added The Prophet -> Star Gazer -> Moehr Ossum -> Carl Projectorinski.    I'll go point to the Prophet.

@Moehr Ossum, so sorry. I was reading through your post on navigation gnomes and missed the opt in. (I've been trying to make sure to not grab people who are just giving advice, but don't want in.)

I can edit the top post to include the current route pasted in in text, or would that make that post too long? Thoughts on google spreadsheet vs post editing? One advantage of the google spreadsheet is that I can hand ownership/editing abilities off to others, so I think it should always be the master copy, but would it be convenient to have it in the forum post for quick reference?
  • I'd like to join the ring

[Reminds me of webrings from the '90s!!!]
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator 5 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • that sounds like fun but I think I'd like to wait until the streets are more interesting to look at.  Maybe after we can upgrade them or make them look like the bogs.    
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sounds awesome, sign me up!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mister Sortex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Me too! Sounds like a great way to see all the cool things people have done once we can edit the outside of our houses too. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Rosa Boo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm fine where you have me :) I already met Jaxxed and SweetStuff, and it was fun. More new friends is great, looking forward to meeting  Carl Projectorinski!
  • Sounds fun! I'm totally in. I'll need a very concise explanation of who I'm following though. I caught a bad case of the stoopids today.
    Posted 12 years ago by Crrrystal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm in! This sounds totally cool, and I'd love to be part of a huge house network.
    Posted 12 years ago by Megha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, I've added in Megha -> Crrrystal -> Rosa Boo -> Mister Sortex -> Treesa -> Sturminator 5 -> The Prophet      I'll go point to Megha.

@Crrrystal. Point your bottom sign to Rosa Boo, and you're set!

@Treesa, you have a great point. Scarlett and I are both seeing this as a way to shake out the bugs before the final instance. I'm hoping they'll let us color code our signs so that people can easily be part of several different circuits. We'd have not thought of that suggestion if we'd not started this beta trial. She's doing loops by resource, but I would love to see future ones based on architectural styles or whatever the fashion is. I'm also hoping someone will build dynamic mapping tools to draw out all these networks we're making!
  • I highly recommend placing a navigation gnome near the signpost letting people know which sign goes where. I'd be happy to help with buying gnomes for those wh can't afford one, when I have the loot ;)

Oh hey - can we get a group going for this? It might actually be more sensible to set it up that way TBH - you wouldn't need to host a document offline; instead you point to the next member in the group list. Whoever's at the end points at the first member and checks back once a week or so to see if there's new members. Then they just point to the next member in the list...?

Just an idea. The Loop seems full of holes still.
  • Moehr Ossum, I'm happy to do it as a group. Scarlett seems to be having good success with the resource routes. This is all about the shake-down run and figuring out what's the best method.

The group is here: http://www.glitch.com/groups/RIFFLR6CTSP266I/

I'll go ahead and send out invites.

We can start closing up the holes. If you find a hole, nudge the next person. I'll start walking the path and do the same. If the person doesn't respond for a ?few? days, we can pull them out, and when they come back, we'll just add them to the top of the list.
  • One advantage of a group is the group chat channel. A good place for nudging folk...
  • I am a direct link with Carl, so my joining would be a bit redundant, but I just want to say that this is an awesome plan and will put up a gnome on my street directing visitors to the circuit.
    Posted 12 years ago by MrVolare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can I play too?  I have wood trees. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd like to join as well, please :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Calathiel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd like to join too! 
    Posted 12 years ago by rach.the.emobear Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please sign me up - I'd love to join!
    Posted 12 years ago by veneziagurl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Signed up to group! And met another neighbor due to hole-plugging ;); this has been great fun so far!
  • I'm in too.
    I keep checking but .. no update yet
    Posted 12 years ago by mr granberry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i'd actually love to participate; sounds fun and as someone mentioned before it does remind me of the webrings of the late 90s!
    Posted 12 years ago by Snowpuff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can I please be part of it too? Would love to have some streets to visit!
    Posted 12 years ago by Green Fairy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've done a bunch of updating today and inspecting and it looks like the first wave is pretty close to complete connectivity. We have 2 gaps and a skip that need correcting, and one person fell off completely :D. It's MUCH easier to do this a little at a time but definitely join up with the group. I'll be helping however I can.
  • Ok, I've added in everyone here. My sincere apologies about being AWOL for 48 hours. Had a couple of big papers due in the same week.

Big shout out to Moehr Ossum for walking the loop and checking for gaps. I have marked a date and the issue of the gaps in the spread sheet and will message the people who have gaps. Give them a few days to fix, and if not, just cut them out for the moment, and let them add back in at the top when they're able/around.

Current list (still includes the dead ends for now). Point to the person directly below you:

Green Fairy
    Snowpuff
    mr granberry
    veneziagurl
    rachaelah
    Calaithiel 
    Feylin
    Megha
    Crrrystal 
    Rosa Boo
    Mister Sortex
    Treesa
    Sturminator 5
    The Prophet
     Star Gazer
    Moehr Ossum
    Carl Projectorinski
    lala512
    Pii
    Dasher
    Bexley
    Mysterious Hermit
     Abby Cadabra
    Jaxxed
    Coke
    Sweet Stuff Ng
    Dr. Babycat
    Jope
    railroadbaron
    Vixen
    Karaline
    LokiPDX
  • Throw me in! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's a group now, too, which should be checked.
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3