Topic

Staff Topic

Trendy Thursday - Houses Release 3 (for reals)

Saturday Update: For players who came into the game since the release and found the moving boxes missing, please check out this separate topic.

---------

Release 3 of the new housing system is now ready, with the final reset of houses.

Do not be alarmed! Only houses have been reset.

Now that the reset is complete, your house has been reset to the starter size, with no cultivated items and no furniture. Any upgraded furniture you had in your house or your furniture bag has been removed. You've be given a small set of starter furniture in its place.

When you enter your new house after the reset, any items that you had in your old house or your testing house will have been moved into your new residence. Just unpack your moving boxes to get started. Your new house contains multiple boxes for your old house, your test-house home street, test-house backyard and each floor of your test-house.

So that's what the reset entails, but what's changed? Well...

Furniture can now be crafted by players. Get building!

Your new houses will now have their own web page, linked from your profile. You'll be able to easily visit other people's home streets from there (as well as from their "info pane" in the game client).

Once you've chosen/purchased a furniture upgrade, that choice is 'sticky'. If you upgrade a chair to style A, then switch it to style B, you'll later be able to switch back to style A at no cost. The same applies to your house chassis.

The initial furniture we give you is soul-bound. This means you can't give it away to other players. Other items may gain this property in the future.

Furniture can now be traded - either by using the 'give' verb, dragging it to another player or using the player-to-player trading system. You'll get an extra warning when you try to trade upgraded furniture. Auctions for furniture will be added in the near future.

Furniture should no longer drop through the floor when you're placing it on your 2nd floor. Or your 3rd - houses can now be 3 floors tall.

All street styles now have music.

Furniture items all have their own web pages, as do the upgrades. You can browse and bookmark your perfect setup while you're waiting for the reset.

The furniture bag is now sorted, to make finding your furniture easier. And it'll now be accessible anywhere in the world, to allow your to trade your items.

The old houses are fading away. Visit the abandoned apartment blocks to reminisce.

The housing FAQ has been updated to answer some of your questions. The player Scarf was also kind enough to compile this huge list of questions & answers from the previous R3 thread.

Take a look around, kick the tires and lets us know what you think.

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Not only did they tell us there would be a reset, there was a popup EVERY TIME you entered your house that said everything would eventually be reset. More than ample warning.
    Posted 12 years ago by devlogic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry.  I saw an opportunity to use snark and couldn't help myself.
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "• The old houses are fading away. Visit the abandoned apartment blocks to reminisce."
    Bring out your dead!

And it's just a game, bro.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Help, I'm buried up to my neck in stuff!
    www.glitch.com/snaps/PIF6G8...
    Posted 12 years ago by Anthropocene Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ P Culiar:  If you purchased a house in Ur (and you have the Homesteader badge, so i'm assuming you did), then the ONLY time you were "forcibly" moved from one house to a little hut was during this reset.  For the past 2 months while we've been testing this new housing system, old purchased houses in Ur remained entirely available -- i was plucking herbs from the garden in my Shimla Mirch house until just a few minutes before the reset yesterday.  Anyone who felt strongly about the purchased house that they'd worked hard to earn could have simply ignored the housing test that was going on.  No one was actually forced to try their test house if they didn't want to -- and, in fact, i have a few friends who didn't.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wrdnrd Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @P Culiar
    Then...don't use or decorate your house...?  A lot of the additions the devs made to housing since they first rolled in the /home streets are things that, for the most part, /didn't/ exist in the old housing structure.  The nice thing about Glitch, as compared to other MMOs--if you don't want to play with an aspect of the game, then you don't /have/ to.  There's no in-game punishment for not decorating your house or not setting up your yard for resources.  There's no requirement, even as a BETA tester in an ever-changing BETA game, for you to play with the housing and report your findings/bugs.

Just...play the game however you want, so it's fun for you.

(Trying to find my planks, snails, and rods for SDBs in the tsunami of stuff I anticipate exploding out of every box may be an interesting game to play once I get on tonight, heh.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Classical Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NEVERMIND I'M DUMB
    Posted 12 years ago by Csophae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I opened my last moving box and it disappeared along with everything that was in it! Has this happened to anyone else?  I can't make SDB's without my metal machine!
    Posted 12 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey Csophae, can't you just pick the chicken and choose to set it free?   Or else you can get some animal youth potion and make them back into chicks. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Wintera Woodswitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • X_X Wintera I think I must be incredibly overwhelmed because DUH. You're totally right. Thanks! -_-

herp derp
    Posted 12 years ago by Csophae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We can't flip around the shelf furniture? Is this intentional or an oversight? I was going to do something cool with the two-piece mushroom shelves...
    Posted 12 years ago by Spirit of Xanadhi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Has the question of which (if any) street designs have the Highlands music been answered? I would like to know the answer to that question. :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Flowerry Pott, I can tell you that "Placid Views" (in the front street) has the Highlands music :D I think "Wailing Uplands" for the backyard might match it, but I haven't tried yet.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wrenlet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So if you buy a street style and then change it, do you get to change it back for free?
    Posted 12 years ago by Kittn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear TS, Thanks! I'm having a great time. Love the woodland things..the construction tool..the ruins background. I even loved it when the moving boxes *poofed* my stuff everywhere. Well done!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ooola Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kittn: you don't buy them — you pay a fee in imagination to change between the styles.
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Stoot! I wanted to make sure before I changed what I have.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kittn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Wrenlet:  I set my backyard to "Wailing Uplands" in the expectation that it would have the Highlands music, but so far all i get is the same ol' banjo music.  Much as i like the background itself anyway, i am still disappoint to not have the music.  :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Wrdnrd Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, I read the FAQ on housing regarding what we need to make furniture. I want to add a floor, but I don't have a door option in my inventory or as an option in my Construction Tools recipe. I understand that I'll need FMII to make furniture. Do I need it to make a door, too? If so, why isn't that mentioned on the item page

Doing a little more digging, I see it's mentioned on the Skills page of FMII. I think the above should be changed to make it more clear. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Jarhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Too much stuff? www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvg...
    Posted 12 years ago by gimmegames Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I unpacked a box from my old house and haven't found my butterfly eggs, is that a known issue or am I not finding them under hoardes of stuff that I've picked up?

Nevermind, I found them. XD
    Posted 12 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It may take a long time for your things to load... It may take up to 1 minute, or 10. One's things for sure, i'm pretty sure ALL of our stuff is intact.. just have to pick up every single pile!!! Please make the Storage Display Boxes able to deposit items from the floor!
    Posted 12 years ago by LųĉĩđεşşΨ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't speak for everyone, please!  Everything from my old house is missing, so I can't do anything unless I want to spend a long time gathering raw materials again.  Other people are missing boxes, machines, emblems, and more.  We're supposed to file bug reports detailing what's gone.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I'm in the same boat as glum, I'm missing a great deal of stuff as well and the best I can do is hope it's all in tact. Hopefully we will hear either way soon :(

[Edit] Are we really supposed to detail what is missing? Lol, it's hundreds of thousands of items for me.
    Posted 12 years ago by Misanthrope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for the update, TS!
    Posted 12 years ago by rosedragon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok well fine everyone gets a dusty stick then, i'm just trying to be optimistic because they took 6 hours longer than the normal time to make this work for us, and you claim ALL that is missing?! The time it is taking me to pick up all my stuff to recount, it is hard to believe until every last item is in the storage boxes and accounted for.
  • @Wrenlet and Wrdnrd: Thank you very much for the info! :D

@TS: Thank you, thank you for your careful handling of the transition. I had zero problems (except for the little hiccup of not having an SDB under my furniture tab, but I filed a report as kevbob asked) and all my stuff was there. Everything went so smoothly on my end and that's due to a lot of smart thinking and hard work on your end. So thank you all again.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Lucidess - As one of those affected by the SDB bug (I lost tons of items and will NOT be getting them back!) I implore TS to please NOT change it again. It's finally working without destroying items. Let's just leave it be. Please.
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lucidess, after the dusty stick incident, I started keeping a detailed inventory of all of the items in both of my houses.  Having completely sorted everything which did end up in my new house, I can safely say that not one item from my old house was given back to me; I'm missing about 316 full or mostly-full bags, fifty empty ones, two machines, a full set of icons, and a few other random items.

ETA: obviously I'd only want the SDBs to accept things from the floor if it worked properly!  I lost some items too, and they were never returned (why was that, anyway?), so of course I wouldn't want that to happen again.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am missing several trophies as well as my garden gnome, are these gone for good or will they show up eventually?
    Posted 12 years ago by Elanor of Castile Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm missing some gnomes myself I think - but I figger if they escaped in all the chaos, they must have gotten a yearning to travel, and all the best to 'em...
    Posted 12 years ago by gimmegames Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glum - very smart of you to know exactly what you have! I will need to be more careful next time, apparently. The most recent log I have is from 2/12/2012. I'm missing everything from my second floor, attic, yard, and at least one box, if not more, from my first floor of my test house, plus everything from my old house. D: Blah.
    Posted 12 years ago by Misanthrope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is awesome.  
    question on the background style:.  is it possible to have a TEST mode before we commit to the background?  I would love to know if the background fits my new house style & colors.  Thoughts?
    Posted 12 years ago by Mystbecky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know I'm missing a few bags of things, definitely a few full bags of paper. While I don't have exacts, I feel like I am lower on some things. I just don't have an inventory count. So I will either not get them back or I just go harvest and make all the things again.

What I do wish is we could have images of what the backgrounds look like - especially extended. I don't mind paying to change but I would like to know what I'm looking at first.
    Posted 12 years ago by Bexatious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nevermind I'll just click 10000+ times to pick everything up, kthx.
  • Will there be any more new housing releases after this?
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are there any plans to make the SDBs as they originally were in regards to depositing items from the floor (asking to deposit every item in the location)?
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't believe I have been here so long!  I came at 11AM Pacific and just finished at 6:05PM Pacific (I am on Eastern time - 2PM-9:05PM).  I cleaned house on Monday and put everything down on the 1st floor.  Had I known better, I would have left the SDBs upstairs.  So, I ended up with 3 boxes, 2 for the yards and one for the house.  When I opened that house box all of my bags were hidden under tons of debris from the SDBs. 

Wow!  I could not even build new SDBs until I found the bags with the construction materials.  I only had 2 SDBs to start with which wasn't very helpful.  I put my planks (10,203) in one of them and then I could see nothing but herbs for miles.  I placed my urth blocks in the second one to make room in my inventory.  That's when the work really began.  I had 2 shelves so I installed them and placed my fuel and block making supplies on them as I found them.  I set up a small cabinet and filled it with bags as they were uncovered.  A table held the Pumpkins and a chair held the Pi pies.  I must have spent at least two hours building SDBs and filling them with herbs, ores, ingots.   Eventually I saw the floor!

By the time I left the game I had planted 5 trees and raised them to maturity ; made, planted and harvested two large gardens (crop and herb); raised 3 pigs, 3 chickens and two butterflies; built about a dozen SDBs and 3 (or 4) cabinets; added a second floor; did some minimal decoration; assembled 4 machines and used them; ate all the meat I could find; meditated; spent, spent and spent.  I am Bushed!

I noted an improvement in performance as the day progressed.  I started with so much lag that fixing the yards and planting the trees required a couple reloads.  I was knee deep in herbs, bags and other items in the house and that also slowed me but one reload was all I needed and I continued on with little trouble until I finally put my Construction tool away at the end of the day.

I did get confused occasionally.  At one point I realized that I was spending "Credits" not "Currants"!  Yikes!  Well I did have a lot of credits and did not lose my head so I still have plenty but the 55 Credit cabinet upgrades did not happen, maybe tomorrow.

I ran the gamut of emotions:  Worry became Delight when I saw the reset street and house.  Delight became Shock and then Dismay when I opened the box with the SDB contents, bags, etc.  Dismay gave way to Determination as I cleaned up the mess and set the house straight.  There was Joy in the yards when I planted the 5th tree and Annoyance when the crop notifications began (where IS the Off button?).  The day ended in some Satisfaction but I was too Tired to really enjoy it.  I look forward to tomorrow (or maybe just a couple hours from now) with Hope that I might figure out how I want to decorate.

Thank you Devs!  I can tell that you worked very hard on this and though I was not always happy with things, it was a Good day.  I did consider tracking all of you down and tossing Pi pie in your faces but that would have been just too difficult.  My Glitch has not yet learned to toss.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Has anyone else had trouble picking up their Faded Heart when the moving boxes opened. I now just have a shadow where the heart was lying on the floor and I don't get an option to pick it up. Bees!...is there something I can do about that?
    Posted 12 years ago by Leelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Leelah According to the bugs forum, it's a known issue (mine's like that too), although for some reason it's no longer on the known issue list.
    Posted 12 years ago by MX Ghostie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The two trophies that I had are gone.  But at least the animals and butterflies made it through.

That being said, I'm not happy with the change.  I received less than what I had before the forced change.  It would have been nice to have been given a choice between the new expandable housing and an option to keep the prior house without expandability.

I spent time gathering credits for the big modern house prior to the change specifically because I did not like the huts.  Now huts are about the only option.
    Posted 12 years ago by KerryAnn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why is there a for sale sign on my old house?
    Posted 12 years ago by Auntie Grizelda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you are missing trophies, please send us a help case for us to track.

Re: Faded Hearts- Nothing you can do about it at the moment, but we are aware and will work on a solution.
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • KerryAnn - if you have gathered lots of credits, there should be many different house styles available to you. Or maybe I'm not understanding your question.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Aurora

Everything that is offered was not what I personally enjoyed and why I didn't choose it in the old housing.  The modern style I liked in the old house can't even be purchased.  And I don't have the patience to do a different kind of grind to expand now.
    Posted 12 years ago by KerryAnn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Quick question for all you Glitchen with more expendable resources: When I make and place a door to start building my 2nd floor, is that door at all movable? I wanna get my 2nd floor started ASAP so I have somewhere to put all my machines, but I don't want my door to permanently be stuck in some awkward spot after I finish expanding.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aeralis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The new home street web pages are very nice.  However, if you click on the magnifying glass on the street picture, you end up giving someone a lobotomy.  Don't know if this is an issue with all browsers;  I'm using Chrome.
    Posted 12 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aeralis: Your doors are movable afterwards.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mostly Mellow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awesome, thanks. :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Aeralis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh man... just unpacked... so many meats...
    Posted 12 years ago by Bean Golem Subscriber! | Permalink