Topic

Staff Topic

Trendy Thursday - Houses Release 3 (for reals)

Saturday Update: For players who came into the game since the release and found the moving boxes missing, please check out this separate topic.

---------

Release 3 of the new housing system is now ready, with the final reset of houses.

Do not be alarmed! Only houses have been reset.

Now that the reset is complete, your house has been reset to the starter size, with no cultivated items and no furniture. Any upgraded furniture you had in your house or your furniture bag has been removed. You've be given a small set of starter furniture in its place.

When you enter your new house after the reset, any items that you had in your old house or your testing house will have been moved into your new residence. Just unpack your moving boxes to get started. Your new house contains multiple boxes for your old house, your test-house home street, test-house backyard and each floor of your test-house.

So that's what the reset entails, but what's changed? Well...

Furniture can now be crafted by players. Get building!

Your new houses will now have their own web page, linked from your profile. You'll be able to easily visit other people's home streets from there (as well as from their "info pane" in the game client).

Once you've chosen/purchased a furniture upgrade, that choice is 'sticky'. If you upgrade a chair to style A, then switch it to style B, you'll later be able to switch back to style A at no cost. The same applies to your house chassis.

The initial furniture we give you is soul-bound. This means you can't give it away to other players. Other items may gain this property in the future.

Furniture can now be traded - either by using the 'give' verb, dragging it to another player or using the player-to-player trading system. You'll get an extra warning when you try to trade upgraded furniture. Auctions for furniture will be added in the near future.

Furniture should no longer drop through the floor when you're placing it on your 2nd floor. Or your 3rd - houses can now be 3 floors tall.

All street styles now have music.

Furniture items all have their own web pages, as do the upgrades. You can browse and bookmark your perfect setup while you're waiting for the reset.

The furniture bag is now sorted, to make finding your furniture easier. And it'll now be accessible anywhere in the world, to allow your to trade your items.

The old houses are fading away. Visit the abandoned apartment blocks to reminisce.

The housing FAQ has been updated to answer some of your questions. The player Scarf was also kind enough to compile this huge list of questions & answers from the previous R3 thread.

Take a look around, kick the tires and lets us know what you think.

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 Next
  • I love all the changes, am really having fun building up again!  My only complaint so far is the backgrounds.  I just can't believe that once we've spent imagination for one, it is not there ALWAYS for us to go to.  Especially since we can't preview them, why not on the website at least, like all the furniture?  
    Posted 12 years ago by Cabinwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • On your marks, get set, start!
    I can't wait to get started on the houses,

Thank you.
    Posted 12 years ago by MOLAIN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I appreciate that these things take time, but could a staff update those of us who are still waiting for our moving boxes on how long we're likely to be waiting please? Reported mine as 'missing' by bug report about 24hrs ago, and other than the bug report being closed by a staff a couple of hours later telling me it would be sorted 'soon', I've heard nothing more. Its pretty frustrating to have to start re-gathering things in order to play because all your stuff is 'missing'. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Vialdana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Like many others I'm missing my moving boxes. It would be very good if a staff could maybe update those of us waiting on how things are going with fixing this bug because it's a most difficult one to work around when you have only got what you were carrying in your bags.

I've been lucky and had various friends lend me use of machines and I was carrying all my tools on me which helpped, but it's been 24 hours since I filed a bug report and the report was closed within 2 hours saying it would be sorted soon etc. but no word since on what's happening... For example, I've seen a few people who I know reported after me, who've now got their stuff back. Does this mean you're not taking the reports in the order they were filed?? If you're not, then how are you doing it?

Information on this would be good please!

Vi
    Posted 12 years ago by Vialdana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Previously SDBs acted not only as containers but also as mini-shelves, allowing the placement of objects on top of SDBs, which was a great decorating bonus. One could also hop onto an SDB and stand there, or place them in an upward slope so they functioned as a ladder from the floor to the ceiling.

This functionality seems to have been stripped out. Objects placed on top of SDBs now fall to the floor.

Any chance of this functionality returning? Please please please! Removing this great feature feels like a step backwards.
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Togger, that indeed was what I was looking for and I missed it somehow.  Definitely set MY expectations much bigger than the current limits.  :< 
    :: pouts ::

Meanwhile I'm going to sit here and watch my kids dance to the dance moves on the new Willie Wonka movie.  X)
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sure it looks great from the R2 fun I had. I won't be able to see them ,R3, untill I return home for more Glitch testing at end of Shift. Please keep adding things to the forums so I can stay abreast.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gumby_Roffo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will my moving boxes 'keep' if I stick them in the attic instead of opening them right now?
    Posted 12 years ago by Ida Keen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, I assume it would for inactive players. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just FYI, I love the new houses. I've dropped dollars for new credits.
    The one thing I miss is the ability to jump from upper floors to lower floors.
    Know y'all are busy boozing in SF, but when you get back, just fold that request into the value release roadmap awesomesauce thingie.

But more importantly, antioxidants for the lot of you.

Much love,

~CTP
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Has anybody considered adding a sci-fi-style house to match the sci-fi furniture and wallpaper?
    Posted 12 years ago by Letter Jeigh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was wondering if there were larger screenshots of street designs available? The small images in the selector & the inability to preview before locking in a choice make it a wee bit more difficult to decide which design I'd like!
    Posted 12 years ago by Cricket Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mister Cake misses his underground cave, it was much less like an ant farm and had a secret tunnel and places me could hide things. Mister Cake now feels like me lives in a shoe box :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Mister Cake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Cricket: Probably what you are looking for?
    Home Streets - share your style and help out!
    Posted 12 years ago by Maruchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Maruchan - Perfect! Thank you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Cricket Subscriber! | Permalink
  • extremely disappointed with the housing update. everything seems a step back. the update promised customisation, but with the extremely limited options for free players, the old houses had much more character. glitch now feels much more like a cash-grabber than it ever had before. it was doing so well too.. sigh.

@Mister Cake: that hits it right on the snail. shoe box.
    Posted 12 years ago by Silvermael Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 Next