Topic

Any Secrets the Devs wish unmasking?

Possibly a bit more insight on the Interragation room or the penatly box? Or how about what happened to the gum trees? Anything else we have no idea about? Please Tell Us! I'd love to know that in the end, my butler turned evil and started helping the rooks wipe out Ur in some quest. There was something i've been wondering about awhile too: Whats with the sea monster?

Posted 11 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Same here :D It was so pretty!
    Posted 11 years ago by NightDraconis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't remember! I believe it was just a concept street that was potentially going to be used as either just a home street or seam street, instance, etc.
    Would've been great to build out that style and create Ur's Asia.
    Many of us have wanted totally useless panda NPCs in the game too.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love all the back stories. Thank you, LP and K and everyone, for sharing. You and the wonderful world of Ur are very much missed.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh temples!! That's something the Hendarchy was trying to do but we really didn't have the resources to really organize it. We were anxiously awaiting club houses or group homes so we could build temples.
    Posted 11 years ago by Griselda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Kukubee - Oh, me too, me too! I would've loved a panda just for panda's sake :)
    (Full disclosure- your zombie panda pouch is my wallet)
    Posted 11 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, pandas. How cool would that have been?  I'm already picturing the panda cubi.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love all of these neat ideas.  Thanks for sharing  :-)  Giants, I hope I get to play Glitch again someday.  DAMMIT I'M CRYING AGAIN
    Posted 11 years ago by Daisy Blooms Subscriber! | Permalink
  • these are all SUCH good ideas! I hope you use them in any future games you come up with :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Sir Rachel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a question. What's this? tinyurl.com/bdlqk79
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought that was the impossible achievement?
    Posted 11 years ago by Scarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Seer: That's an achievement we removed, Toe-Dipper First Class. You got it after playing for 15 whole minutes. That was silly, so off it went. However! Instead of just not awarding it anymore, we deleted it entirely, hence the empty description and generic badge. We probably shouldn't have done that. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish I had the screenshot, but staff have an additional four icons beside the help, bug report, and sound ones. A hand, a globe, some ruler thing, and another thing. I'd love to know what they did (also, I probably ask an annoyingly huge number of questions; I'm sorry D=).
    Posted 11 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Justin: I'm waiting for a lot of very slow things to finish, so I made this for you! http://imgur.com/5hIMB3h
  • I was right about a few of the things! I wouldn't call you a dork though. :(

(and thanks for answering!)
    Posted 11 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for that LP :) Interesting to see the game from the staff perspective
    Posted 11 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hahahaha dork hahahhaa...thanks Little Poundcake..hahaha
    Posted 11 years ago by Atlantis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The question that I've had for a while is a quest related one.

The last word from the quest Word Up. My list is here: www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
  • Temples blew my freaking mind, what a magnificent idea... COSMA BE PRAISED!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mikah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So your telling me my church/distillery Could have been A Tempachurtillery!!!! BY FRIENDLYS GHOST
    Posted 11 years ago by Smiling Flounder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LP, I believe that should be labelled "geek", not "dork".
    Posted 11 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Scarf, straight from the JS for you: 

this.valid_words = ['TEA', 'TAB', 'TAT', 'SET', 'SEA', 'SAT', 'MET', 'MAT', 'MAS', 'ETA', 'EMS', 'EAT', 'BET', 'BAT', 'BAM', 'ATE', 'ABS', 'BEE', 'TEE', 'SEE', 'BAA', 'EBB', 'MAB', 'ATM'];

kastlin: I'm definitely not a geek. It's perfectly normal to answer someone's question with a javascript array declaration.
  • What is this?
    http://developer.glitch.com/

Is it for the public to code on glitch, or for glitch's staff. I found it completely by accident when navigating throught the website.

Could it be used to bring back glitch?
    Posted 11 years ago by Hector8 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It is a place that provides information and resources anyone to develop applications that tap into certain parts of Glitch through an API, allowing it to pull information about you and your account with your authorisation, or about general encyclopaedic stuff such as what skills are there, what's in a location etc.. i.e. I could make a mobile app like temple run, but with your character. You would open the app, authorise it to access certain parts of your credentials (such as the URL to your character's jumping sprite sheet), the app would receive the URL to your sprite sheet, and I could put your character in the app. Some other examples can be found here, here

It can't be used to bring Glitch back. It only provides basic information, such as the amount of iMG you have, or what skills you've learnt, not the high-tech snazzy server stuff or client code. C:
    Posted 11 years ago by GravityGrip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ..no more secrets?
    Posted 11 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We had several staff-only menu options when we clicked on items in the game. They allowed us to edit item properties, destroy the item entirely, etc... about what you'd expect. There was a special option for rugs, though: http://imgur.com/5l0Z9nb

It played this sound and then left us with A Feeling Called Love. http://imgur.com/Kin6L2D
  • Seriously? Seriously. Staff had a special menu to munch a rug, with a sound to go with it and lots of love to follow. I honestly don't know why this game folded, so clever, so witty and so - much - fun - I - cannot - believe - it. 
    Thanks for sharing these tidbits, I love them. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Silvery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, munching on the furniture? Amazing!:)
    Posted 11 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Absolutely preposterous! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • God, all of this is so much fun to read. I'm so excited about the temples, and even MORE excited that the one we get to see now was for Spriggan! Oh, my woody love. <3

Thank you all so much. This has been really fantastic.

Was there going to be anything else in the Les Miserables plotline?
    Posted 11 years ago by Elendraug Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rug-munching and woody love....

--Me
    Posted 11 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just stumbled across this... perhaps some of you have seen it, but it's new to me!

www.glitch.com/intro/
  • This is so fun to peek in on. Heh. Rug munching.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, I've never seen that one!  I followed the Twitter link and read a few of the entries from 2011. Back then, the thinking was that Glitch would be open "forever." It just goes to show that, in my case anyway, the old song is true, "You don't know what you've got till its gone...."

But I know it won't be forgotten :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "We're sacrificing this account on the Altar of Launchness, because now the answer will always be yes"

Made me very, very sad. But that is pretty cool.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lone Druid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The only questions I have (that haven't been answered, at least) pertain to the parts of the game that mention Esquibeth.
    The more stylized versions of the Giants' symbols were pretty sweet. Did the team design the whole set or just the ones that were shown?
    Also, was Inari going to be a region of the world? I know there's a street called Inari Deeps; I just wasn't sure whether it was an archaic name for an area of Mazza'la or a place that had yet to be discovered by modern Glitchen.
    Posted 11 years ago by Galaxy Dynamite Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Saddest art about the intro URL and it's resulting age and lead to a Twitter account:

We're sacrificing this account on the Altar of Launchness, because now the answer will always be yes:glitch.com/blog/2011/09/2…— Glitch, The Game (@isglitchopen) September 27, 2011
    Posted 11 years ago by Grigori Tesla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I guess this is the last entry on this forum...it was great to learn all this, and we always will hope we can do more.
  • Hey, staff folk: who was responsible for all the modernist literary references on the Purple Journey?
    Posted 11 years ago by Crinkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Crinkle - as far as I know, the Purple Journey was muchly the work of Chris Whitman (though I'm sure with input from Stoot too). I can't remember Chris' ingame name, and can't look it up now  - but he was a brilliant game developer, as well as a gentleman, and is absolutely worth watching and following, wherever he is now.
    Posted 11 years ago by annapeee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ annapee I think his in game name was Pinot Myrmidon :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Faereluth - YES! That was it. This is what happens when you have interesting names a nautical mile from your real name. That was why I changed mine from my original Juniper Grumpypants.
    Posted 11 years ago by annapeee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good to know, thanks. I especially liked the passage from Kobo Abe's "The Box Man."
    Posted 11 years ago by Crinkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just somthing I always kinda wondered. Did the staff have side account that they used for actually playing the game without being bugged by all of us?
    Posted 11 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ...guess I've been overthinking this whole Esquibeth thing, since nobody else seems to care.
    Posted 11 years ago by Galaxy Dynamite Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why is the helicopter cat in the encyclopedia?
    Posted 11 years ago by we are durza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • cuz it belongs wif us :)
  • More secrets! Please.
    Posted 11 years ago by NightDraconis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mountaineering secrets have been promised. Soon, anyway.
  • this is going to make everyone depressed, but, was there anything you would have liked to do with glitch that was never worked on.  like an idea so preposterous that you didnt even think it would fit in glitch 
    Posted 11 years ago by terezipyrope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, right. Mountaineering! So here's what that was:

http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PHVAEGH6KB92AR7/284569-5a637158af/

You and some friends would decide that it was time to go mountaineering, so one of you would head out and purchase a Mountaineering Permit. Once you had that in hand, you and crew would gear up head up together towards the mountain. It would be a tremendously foggy mountain (see soupy freezing fog at bottom of snap). The only way to ascend through the fog would be to light Mountain Lanterns along the way. One person would light a lantern and keep it lit while all their friends passed, with one friend lighting the next lantern and doing the same thing so that the group could ascend together. If you let the lanterns go out, you'd all get knocked back down the mountain.

Mountaineering! With friends.