Topic

New loading screens: :D

Wow, just wow! The new loading screens that were added last test, are awesome. Approval & admiration all round as far as I could tell :) Here are some screenshots of different loading screen loacations for the people who missed the last test:

Groddle Meadows: i.imgur.com/LQbS6.png?7609
Groddle Heights: i.imgur.com/tNIp3.png?2268
Groddle Forest: i.imgur.com/C2cTI.png?1952
Uralia: i.imgur.com/3lT24.png?7911
Ilmenskie Caverns: i.imgur.com/8EY8N.png?9381
Firebog: i.imgur.com/x4VMP.png?7127

Of course, there could be some improvements (such as displaying on the wide pic of the street: current trees & animals, players moving around), but as someone said, that'd probably require a loading screen for the loading screen ;)

Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• It did tell you animals. I kinda like the old drawings but this is still cool.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ani Laurel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "that'd probably require a loading screen for the loading screen"

i bet they could do it. that's what cacheing is for : ]

regenerate the snapshot of the street every hour or so.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Does not say how many chickens there are (I know striatic, it really hurts your ego :P)
    Posted 13 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol, I heard there were pigs now.

I don't think we really need to know who is there, they tell us when we get there.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ani Laurel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • actually, not every hour.

more like, every time a tree matures, generate a snapshot, every time one dies, generate, building goes up, generate .. etc. etc.

which would probably work out to generating a snapshot very infreuently once we are in the post-alpha time scales.
  • Wow, I didn't play this test (preparing for Christmas around here is a full time job) but those look fantastic! I love that they tell you how many trees and animals there are :) It's cute, plus it helps when I'm looking for a particular tree.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Am I the only one who finds it vaguely disconcerting to see some of this extra info? Particularly the street visit count number - why is it a good thing to see that I've been to Burnabee 50 times or whatever? So far I've found this info to really only serve as an awkward reminder to myself of just how much I've played the game, which isn't necessarily a good thing! ;)
    Posted 13 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought either there would be achievements for x street visits or it's for testing something.

The giant, plain "frame," I wasn't so sure about that. It's weird seeing something so plain in a game so graphics-rich.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Am I the only one who finds it vaguely disconcerting to see some of this extra info?"

i dunno .. when i see a high count in the caverns i makes me feel more like real miner!
  • anyone notice if they tell you that you've died there?
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love it. It really does help if you're searching for a particular tree or animal--if you see it isn't there, you can immediately leave instead of wasting time fruitlessly searching.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cupcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I honestly can't remember what was there before, but as a relative newbie I really love them - it makes waiting for loading become productive time. It also helps orient me.

I also think it mirrors real life nicely - when you turn the corner on to a new street you do a quick scan to see what's there. Maybe there could be pictures of what is there rather than a text list - easier to scan (like in real life), though unsure whether I'd actually like that or not.

An interesting alternative would be a 3D picture of what it would look like looking down the street, except I think that could be a jarring break from the horizontal-scrolling nature of the game.
    Posted 13 years ago by MeetHead Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I keep forgetting to mention this- on the loading screens, that single black pixel in the middle of the street pictures...it's driving me nuts.

Is that supposed to be there?
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink