Topic

I Quit

My miserable testing experience this week has me on the verge of leaving the game forever. I will address three issues here:

1. This game is a bandwidth whore: When I am at home, I use a 25 mbps connection. However, for this testI was at a ski resort this weekend and did not have the world's greatest internet connection. I would get OMGReloaded at least 5 fucking times before I could connect. Then, once I finally connected, I would have to wait 30+ seconds per street to get in. This was especially bad at my house and any streets where there were a lot of people. Once I logged out on a random street and when I came back the street was being used for a project and I could not connect. That really fucking sucked.

2. Preparing food/beans/etc: At the beginning of the test, I had to reload every time I used a device with its own window (i.e. Fruit Changer, Awesome Pot, Bean Seasoner, etc.). Then I had to deal with the connection crap I mentioned above. This was annoying, and I got really pissed off.

3. My final in-game action: At the end of the test, I wanted to make ONE cumin. After I pressed the "make" button, I got OMGReloaded. Astoundingly, I only had to refresh once to get in. Fucking miracle, I thought. But no. I decided to make cumin again. When I pressed "make," I was told "another action is in progress" or some such crap. I remarked on the help channel, and, as has become typical the last few tests, none of the staff responded. Then, all of a sudden, I lost a huge amount of energy and got ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THREE cumin, which used all my painstakingly collected allspice.

As you can tell, I am furious. The game has been total crap for me this week. As a closing remark on my (formerly awesome but ultimately shitty) time playing glitch, I leave you with this line:

Fuck this. I'm leaving. Forever.

Edit: Let me make two things abundantly clear. One, this is nowhere near my first alpha testing experience and am well aware of what it entails. Two, I have been here since the beginning and up to this point enjoyed encountering and talking about problems. This was just way too much.

Posted 13 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• That's a shame… and just before they wiped your character this evening when closing the testing period. You coulda been terminated and collected virtual unemployment for your displaced character, but now… At least you're saving taxpayers' and Tiny Speck's resources, ya? Would have been funnier if your last line was: "You can't wipe me! I QUIT!"

I suspect there is a huge influx of people on the game right now due to, as mentioned, this being the last day of this testing period. I had not experienced the lag or reload issues prior to today and I attribute these issues to what I assume are a ton of testers getting their last minute fix in before the next test period opens up.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tamashii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not sure you understand what alpha testing means...
    Posted 13 years ago by nublet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tamashii: Who said there was going to be a wipe? O.o
    Edward: I don't have any of those porblems. Browser/OS?
    Posted 13 years ago by Roxon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry to hear about your probs with connection, Edward. In truth, that sounds like any day of play on my current laptop! (It's really old).

Hope you chillax a bit and come back next week.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is why the Swiss prefer to yodel.
    Posted 13 years ago by mungo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, why don't you just play when at home?
    Posted 13 years ago by mathy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • People who announce they're leaving forever usually don't. Those who leave quietly usually do.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Roxon: On the Home page it says this to the right of your avatar:

"Glitch is still in early alpha! So...
    The game will often be unavailable.
    Your progress will be erased periodically. Sorry!
    You're a tester: please add your ideas and bug reports in the forums."

Now, this doesn't mean they are gonna wipe/erase character data at the end of this testing, but it's a possibility and I was just extending a metaphor about quitting instead of being fired.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tamashii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tamashii, I don't think there is going to be a wipe after this test. There will be some later, though; I know that.
    Posted 13 years ago by Roxon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tamishii & Roxon: Stoot said there'll be a reset some time in January.

That's a real shame you had to go through that Edward... why not just stop playing for this test till you get back to your good ol' speedy connection? You don't have to quit-quit. :(
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry but dude,

you say 'the internet connection wasn't that good'

and all your problems are about INTERNET CONNECTION speed,
    dude, play it home with a faster connection,
    this game isn't meant to be played with an computer from 1934.

oh and then, it's FREAKIN alpha, you know what that means?
    Posted 13 years ago by LarsLikesMilk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So this is my first time playing and then having the world close. Does anyone know what all they usually erase?
    Posted 13 years ago by Skylla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That's kind of harsh, Lars. It's probably not the computer; it's the actual connection.

Though I do agree with the sentiment. There's no reason to go out so loudly - your connection was bad, and you admit that, Edward.

I know I'm sorry to see you go, and I do hope you reconsider. After all, it's only a few bad days, and the team is fully aware of the performance issues. If this isn't your first alpha test, you should probably already be aware that sometimes, things don't always perform optimally, and if you let one experience change your opinion of a game without giving them the opportunity to fix it...well...that's kind of not fair.
    Posted 13 years ago by Aerin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nothing perhaps Kate, or everything.
    Posted 13 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kate, you should probably post that question elsewhere. They aren't erasing anything at this point. When they do, it's typically a full reset - you go back to square one, so we can all test the new features and/or improvements.
    Posted 13 years ago by Aerin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Had a similar problem but with alchemy chemicals. Created a grenaldine(?) and ended up with 17 instead of 1. Wiped out nearly all 100 of my red elements. Weird but nothing to get upset about...there are so many quests and tasks to keep me occupied. BTW, I have a decent connection so it may have been a flash bug.
    Posted 13 years ago by Freeman Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sad to see you leave, Edward... hope you come back once you're back at home.
    Posted 13 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry to hear of your experience. I thought this test was *glitchier* than usual but I still found the gameplay to be fun. I think your experience was largely based on your connection. I've tried playing glitch on slower connections/crappier computers than the one I have at home and I constantly get errors as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mursock Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Umm, what the hell were you doing playing an inane browser game WHILE AT A SKI RESORT? You have problems pal. And thanks for all the cussing, I hope it makes your junk feel bigger.
    Posted 13 years ago by Trogdor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You lost THE GAME, bud.

I experienced a lot of lag today and a small amount yesterday, especially when trying to tend my garden. Am I going to play the next test? Yes.

You are playing a game in ALPHA status. You must be a child if you can't comprehend what it means for the game to be in alpha. In fact, you must certainly be a child if you were at a ski resort and you were playing a flash game instead of skiing (or doing other ski resort type things).
    Posted 13 years ago by Johnny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I feel for you, Edward. If something like that happened on my fast connection, I'd probably...well, I wouldn't quit, but I'd give it a month or so and hope that the lag issues had been resolved.

Trogdor's comment made me laff. And spell differently. Which appears to be part of the game.
    Posted 13 years ago by Hands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tamashii, the reason there were so many people on yesterday was because Tiny Speck sent out a huge number of invites to folks that had been on the waiting list for months.

I had been waiting a long time, and got mine yesterday, immediately logged in, and was hooked.

Are we really all going to be wiped? Too bad. Necessary, though, I guess. I'll keep playing.
    Posted 13 years ago by Hundertwasser Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kudos to Trogdor. Best line ever. Plopping it in my mental encyclopedia for future much-needed recollection.
    Posted 13 years ago by Bunyip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, ski resorts are places to ski. You don't sit around playing addictive computer games!

As for the internet issues/lag time.. here's a vaguely productive idea. Why don't Glitch give out some sort of warning to people experiencing lag? Something along the lines of:

"You seem to be experiencing serious lag. If you think it's possible your internet connection is slow, that's probably why. That means your entire time here will be laggy and annoying and we don't want that. Why not give the internet a rest for now and spend some time outside. Maybe go skiing? :)"
    Posted 13 years ago by Smange Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOL, Trogdor, I was going to say the same thing.

I've just joined this week, but haven't had nearly that level of issues. Pretty impressed, actually, and the game's a lot of fun.
    Posted 13 years ago by Vee Ecks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yowza, look at all that cussing. Was that really necessary, Edward? You're acting like the devs visited you in person and peed in your cocoa. Chill out a little bit. Take Trogdor's advice and go ski.

Just don't scream on the mountain. Avalanches.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll be in the mountains next week and fully intend to play Glitch every spare chance I get :p
    Posted 13 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Really this post doesn't deserve 27 replies make it 28 (with mine).

@Edward: You quit..thats up to you.

Just cant imagine the amount of hard work the developers "did/doing/n will carry on to do"
    you gotta stick with them and help them make things better instead of saying "I QUIT"
    Posted 13 years ago by gaara Subscriber! | Permalink