Topic

The Unknown of Glitch

So, we all know about Ur, the world we live on. And theoretically, there's a world deep under the ground. (Urth?) And then there's the moon. But there's many mysteries beyond what we know. But what lies above? What lies in the void of space? Is Ur the only world the giants have imagined? Are there other giants that imagined other worlds? How big is the sun? Is there other life? Is Ur round, or flat? Does Ur revolve around the sun or do the sun and moon revolve around Ur? What sentient beings came before the Glitchen race, or the chickens, piggies, butterflies, street spirits, batterflies, frogs? Did they have their own imaginations? What exactly are the sheepies and sorbetflies that the shrines have told us about? Are there fossils under the ground? There is so much knowledge to be learned and added to our little Glitchy heads.

Posted 12 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• bacon
    Posted 12 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yah, +1 bacon
    Posted 12 years ago by Muncey Mango Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fossils would be awesome. Archaeology quests!
    Posted 12 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was a general post just to be mysterious. Though I suppose that stuff could be put in the idea forum based off of it.
  • Once upon a time there was nothing ..and nothing was good and peaceful and all of that. But GOD, he eventually grew lonely and weary sitting alone and pondering all the important and deep things GODS ponder on. So he decided to create some beings. Not just any ole' beings, but Giant beings that they may create things for HIM to look upon in wonder and amusement and to keep HIM company, of course. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Divine~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of the talking things told me that the whole of Ur was the inside of a sphere.
    Posted 12 years ago by kalsangikid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bacon
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
    Posted 12 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've come to the conclusion that we live in a massive and intricate sequence of rectangular boxes all connected with each other. What else would be the reason of me hitting my head when I try to jump or levitate super high in the sky of Ur and that we are only able to walk linearly? 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sweetum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sweetum's observations match mine.  I've also been examining the charts of these rectangular boxes to ascertain the dimensions of the space that they inhabit.  At first I thought it might be linear, but by simply squinting at the map it's clear to see that like these rectangles, the world itself is two dimensional.  At least so far as Ur is concerned.  The world of the Imagination, where our homestreets are located, may be more complex.  But, it is hard to visualize a three or four dimensional space when we consciously experience only two dimensions.

Now, we've seen or heard stories of entire new regions of streets being discovered or coming into existence.  In fact, in the old days, these things were constructed by our fellow glitches, I'm told!  As far as I can tell, they don't exist at all until they are imagined or created by someone.  So, the idea that there might be some sort of world beyond the bounds of the visiting stones (which mark the outer boundaries of Ur) is, until we can develop instruments to measure such things, unfortunately unscientific.  

The key problem being that even if we do develop instruments to measure this space, how do we know that in observing it we are not creating it right there and then with our imaginations?
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now, for a truly spooky story.  I have seen visual evidence, in the form of a snap, of a poor Glitch who had exceeded the boundaries of a street and became stuck in The Above.  Apparently, there is nothing there!  Not even light or possibly even space as we know it.  The only information that could cross this event horizon was the snap itself and the piteous cries of the victim of this perpetrator-less crime.
  • Here's one... http://lem.to/p/xkyi. I have no idea how to make a blank face...
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The only thing in Ur that matters is Trisor. (and bacon)
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some possibilities for the geometry of Ur:
    Dyson Sphere en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson...
    Ringworld en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringw...
    O'Neill Cylinder en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27N...
    Mobius Strip en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobiu...
    Klein Bottle en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein...
    Tesseract en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesse...

It seems a vital clue that Ur is in sunlight at all times. The darkness on some people's streets might be explained by shadow squares, or bloomin' big Rooks hovering overhead.

I find it a fascinating coincidence that the geometry of the world is also a major mystery and matter of interest in DROD, the puzzle game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DROD where Beethro has looked below Lowest Point to see a Second Sky. He's more into roaches than bacon, but each to their own.

The point that was made earlier about whether new areas of Ur are discovered or created also worried the D'Ni in the Myst series. Did the ages that their linking books transported them to exist before the books were written, and would they still exist after a book was destroyed?
    Posted 12 years ago by John259 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have heard a rumor that there are other Worlds out there high in Space and beyond the Moon!  So, maybe Cheese And Bacon!
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the staff will answer your questions soon, and don't forget this game is still in development...
    Posted 12 years ago by lolol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe the staff do not even know. The giants have not revealed the whole truth to them yet either.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The staff do reveal many things to us in time, and do seem to have some sort of connection to the Giants, but how can we be certain that they do not spend more time listening to us and speaking to the Giants than the other way around?  Also, what reason do we have, then, to trust what the staff has to say on these matters?  As we all know, their actions speak louder than any words, as their actions seem to help reveal or shape the world as apparently the Giants see fit.  I think it is better to study these actions than to wait for their words.

Anyway!

John259, you provide some fascinating models of geometry, and one of them might be right!  But, they do make some large assumptions.  How can we, as Glitch living in two dimensional space, and with all that we can observe from that perspective, know that light can even travel through the third dimension?  I think you present a good hypothesis, but we need to do a lot more ground work to gather evidence for it than perhaps we do against it.

I have a simpler, if stranger model.  All of Ur and the surrounding lands of Imagination and Party Packs exist on a two dimensional plane.  It must be at least two dimensions, because the streets are two dimensional and cannot be contained in a one dimensional space.  However, they may not at all be connected physically!  We Glitchen are capable of teleporting from any street to any other street, with enough skill.  Who's to say that this mode of travel is not at all similar to following a sign post?  

Aside from Teleport face, the physical movement of a Glitch from one place to another in both means may well use identical physics at its core.  This movement may happen along a third dimension in some way, or we may be transmitted via invisible beams of information along our regular two dimensional space.  It's hard to say.  But because it takes time to move from one place to another, it's not instantaneous, some distance can be inferred, and Occams razor suggests that a third dimension is not involved there.

No, I think the third dimension is more bizarre than that.

As we all know, we Glitchen can see around corners.  When standing on one side of a street with a building in the middle of it, when another Glitch is standing on the other side of the building we can still see them.  How?

OK, sorry for all the rambling and ranting, here's my theory:  I think that light not only travels in the third dimension, it ONLY travels in the third dimension.  I propose that our brains exist at some distance in the third dimension, and that light travels from whatever current street we are standing upon to our brains where we process the information before turning it into action or words.  Light does not even travel from one end of the street to the other, or from the sun to the ground.  It moves in one direction, from Ur to our brains, allowing us to see not only remote areas of the street we are on but simultaneously our entire inventories, and the contents of one whole bag, all at once!

In fact, with this in mind, when we look at our maps of Ur, how can we be certain that we are not looking at Ur itself?  Who created these maps, after all?
  • Oh, and don't get me started about the moon(s)... ;)
  • Carl alludes to the point I came to make: there are, in fact, at least two moons.

Evidence: www.glitch.com/locations/LD...
    Posted 12 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think, in fact, that there are an undetermined number of moons greater than two at any given moment.  The evidence that katlazam provides supports this!

But in case anyone is inclined to also point at the fantastic view of certain home streets, based on the model of cosmology that I'm constructing for my theory I'm not sure than any visualization that we perceive in the background of any street might be considered an actual moon.  It's possible, but if we can't verb it how do we know it's real?
  • Essential reading I think:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

Meanwhile, to put it Candidly, in this best of all possible worlds we must cultivate our garden. Plant, water, harvest, feed piggy, examine plop, pick up seeds, clear, water, plant, water, harvest...
    upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...
    Posted 12 years ago by John259 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ha!  Indeed!
  • All this talk of moons and dimensions is quite interesting, but I'd like to go back to a suggestion the OP made: "Are there other giants that imagined other worlds?"

Other GIANTS?!??!?!? Blasphemer!!! Heretic!!!  lol

Oh, and "sheepies and sorbetflies"? This is the first I have heard of them. Has anyone else heard of these?
    Posted 12 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I say, we are certainly getting very curious about all this.

I propose that Ur is actually made up of ONE-DIMENSIONAL LINES on a three-dimensional plane. These one-dimensional lines emit a two-dimensional radiation, creating flat fields of space susceptible to alteration by the minds of those with the gift of imagination. Home streets, which likely lie on a parallel plane to that of Ur, likely emit more of this radiation, therefore allowing more possibility.

Meanwhile, imagination itself is four-dimensional, existing physically in not only space, but time as well. When something is imagined into existence, the dimensions are reduced into simpler forms.
  • I love you all. This thread is made of win.
    Posted 11 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink