Topic

Limitations of NDA

I tried asking about this in chat the other day, but I think most devs were hard at work.

I would love to get clarification on the limitations of the Non-Disclosure agreement we "signed" when we were first invited.
The reasons being twofold:
1) A wiki is sorely lacking. A few people have mentioned this, from what I've seen. Usually it gets the response of "the game is still in development, so what's the point"? Obviously, that's where the "wiki" aspect comes in, being able to easily change the information whenever there are changes.
Obviously, there is not supposed to be a publicly accessible resource for Glitch, so what about a password-protected wiki with logins provided to a group/clan of people who are already in-game?

2) Group forums. I'm constantly getting lost, and forgetting which streets link to other streets that are NOT on the main map. I've made a graphic of my own with all of the maps, and little icons indicating which roads lead where. It would be great if I could share this with my group. Obviously it wouldn't be a public image, or set of images, and the domain would be restricted with .htaccess. Is this acceptable? Am I breaking any rules with this?

Pretty much what I've heard is "don't share this stuff with anyone else"...but I need to know where the line is. Of course, I'm using common sense in this but I don't want to displease the giants.

Posted 14 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Hellos! ^^ I'm a fellow tester...

1) I've been trying to push the idea to make the encyclopedia (http://alpha.glitch.com/encyclopedia/ - did you even know one existed? the devs need to advertise it more xD) a wiki, so we could have a "behind the wall" place to have a wiki. ^^

2) Well, in the bug forum, they DO allow us to upload screenies as long as the link isn't public (they recommend imgur.com/ which doesn't have a list of recently uploaded images or anything), so I think your map could be okay... Do keep your deletion link (they give you one) handy though, in case a giant flattens me for telling you this stuff and starts coming after you. ^^; Do you think you can share the map with the rest of us though? I've been looking for one, and I don't know where half the stuff in world is. I don't think I've even found all the environments yet. @.@

I think the problem with having a legal NDA is that people WILL start looking for loopholes, so why not just believe in the good faith of people? I think the idea is... keep what's in Glitch a surprise to the rest of the world. You can tell people what YOU think (generally) about Glitch ("Glitch is fun!") but nothing that would "surprise" them ("You don't kill monsters").

That's what I think. If you hear me screaming, followed by a loud thump, just jam on that delete button. ^^
    Posted 14 years ago by Catriona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There isn't much to the general map. The rightmost Groddle Forest Jct. signpost takes us to the other 3 areas. Cebarkul links the first 2. Ilmenskie takes us to the Ilmenskie caverns. The only map I might find handy would be a sketch of The Drop.

I forgot what the NDA said almost instantly, so I don't mention Glitch at all outside this website much beyond "the game is open." If anything, I'd think they'd rather have us putting our time into testing than documenting.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *Three* other areas? o.o
    *Links* the first 2? O.O

I'm confused already.

Documentating from memory while the game is down might be something to do though.

Besides, the empty info panels on moths and other stuffs like that have been bothering me, as have some of the less helpful / descriptive informations in the game.
  • Are you using the area maps frequently? They help a lot.
  • I am using the area maps frequently, and I'm pretty sure I haven't been to everywhere in the forest yet. The area maps don't show links to locations off the map though. :(
  • The forest map shows one of its two. The other is on the signpost that gets you to the one shown.
  • ... Soo so far our environments have been tree forest, mushroom forest, snowy, cave, giant house, rainbow, and cave? That's all I've been to. ^^;
  • trees (groddle forest), mushrooms (uralia), cave system (Ilmenskie caverns) and the place where uncle friendly is (ix) are the 4 areas on the maps. I was trying to remember if the caverns are split or not.
  • oh! I forgot about ix. ^^

The caverns are on a separate set from Uralia.
  • Hmm, so how has Kukubee been to 65 streets when all I could find in the whole of Glitch was 58? alpha.glitch.com/leaderboar...
    Posted 14 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink

• Edit: yups, look at the fourth person from the left on the list of contributors: alpha.glitch.com/about/

Devs, can I contribute somehow too? You don't even have to pay me! ^^
    (That was a joke, though I wouldn't mind actually being able to contribute to the game somehow.)
  • The Glitch logo gives a little sneak peak of what is to come -

glitch.com/downloads/2010-0...

See the first two letters - Groddle and Ix. Th last two letters are Hell and Wintry Place. The other two letters might be maps they have in development! :D. They look wicked, right?

Also - the downloads & art page has concept art for new maps (which dont feature on the logo)-

Posted 14 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The i could be bit.ly/a7qDnG and the t could be j.mp/aXja7z ^^
  • @Dryea - I think you have exactly what I have in mind.
    I definitely don't want to ruin this for the outside world, which is why I want to have some sort of walled access.

I *did* know about the encyclopedia, but there's a lot more that can be added...like context. Eg, These bubbles are good for X. You can X to get them to X.

Good thing about imgur, since I have an account. That will make it much easier to keep on the DL. I would still love to hear from some staff though.
  • Yups. Either a wall or a moat. With a hidden bridge across it that only those of us in the forums can see without having to dig through our history logs or DNS records or something.

Which is why I wish it could be a wiki. We don't have to put much on it, just some random info that WE personally had to ask like 10 people about, to help spread the knowledge.

Ooh, good, with an imgur account you don't even need to KEEP that delete link. ^^ I would like to hear from the staff too, but they're... erm... where are they? GOD said he was going to be in Jamaica, didn't he?
  • Yeah - Jamaica...doing blow with Mike, apparently.
  • Doing blow? o.o
  • I thought they were just going to sell the blow. O_O
    Posted 14 years ago by Mursock Subscriber! | Permalink
  • True - I guess He never said whether it was for him or not.
  • What is blow? XD
  • no-no powder.
    Posted 14 years ago by Helcat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've never tried no-no powder. ._.
  • Didn't your grandma always tell you you'd go to Hell for sniffing that no-no powder?

No?
    Posted 14 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No-no powder is awesome! I NEEEED moar ... now. now!!! lol
    Posted 14 years ago by Coffee Pot Subscriber! | Permalink