Topic

Achievement Progress Indicators

The ability to go somewhere like maybe the encyclopedia and pull up the individual listing for a particular achievement and see how far along we are to earning it. I've been working on Ace of Om for instance for 3+days now and it'd be nice to have that little bit of confirmation that yes the time I'm meditating is actually being counted up.

Posted 12 years ago by Fauxfire π Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• +1!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sunshine Tentacles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Absolutely. Yes to this.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aeden Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1

Yes. Just yes. I want this, so very badly. Dunno what logic I can give to support the idea, besides the fact that I'd like to not be in the dark about my achievement progress.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes,yes,yes!
    Posted 12 years ago by LolZin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Kaelyn Renai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've posted an idea similar to this that would give subjective feedback. This would allow folks to get a "feel" for their progress without directly encouraging grinding (432 nono from dracula etc)

This would really help with some achievements like numerastizer where you can slip up and end up back at zero.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator IX Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, yes please!  I support making it take a couple steps to look it up, to discourage abuse, but I'd really like to be able to see not just the badges I have already, but how close I am to getting some of the others
    Posted 12 years ago by Tanaise Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, please!
    Posted 12 years ago by Juniparr Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, (for some of the social and seasonal badges especially)
    Posted 12 years ago by Jenny Wren Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll be the odd nut who says they're against it just because personally I think it'd make it too easy, or at least it'd feel too much like work or an xbox game or something. I dunno, as long as it's optional I wouldn't be much bothered.
    Posted 12 years ago by Nuebot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Yes, I think it's a great idea to see ones progress ~ frankly I can't understand why it's not already visible to us...
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Hell's Bartender Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed, it'd be really nice ;__; I'd like to feel like I"m not a million miles away from my goals sob
    Posted 12 years ago by rayflo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Scilly - if the progress indicators are too literal, then it turns the game into a Pavlovian click fest -- e.g. "78 candies away from Candyglitch I MUST GIVE MOAR CANDY!!!" -- destroying the sandbox nature of the game.

I do think there is a middle ground between "none" and "literal", though, which will provide sufficient feedback to players that they can get a general idea of how close the are to completing an achievement.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator IX Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sturminator ~but it already is a 'click fest', albeit a blind one.
    tl;dr: The simple fact that achievements/badges exist will encourage players to focus their attentions on achieving these goals -no matter what, add a time constraint and people will do their utmost to get it done before they run out of time. I seriously doubt people are handing out sweeties from the goodness of their heart, it's all about getting that badge, or some other goal/reward. I think knowing how many you already have takes away the stress of not knowing where you are, and frantically doing stuff as fast as you can, so you don't miss it. Besides it's nice to see our progress when we're working on a goal ~and if there were no goals, if there was nothing to aim for, what would be the point of playing?
    +1 for your 'middle ground' thinking. =]
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1+ yes
    Posted 12 years ago by gizzy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wait, I want to change my vote to the Middle Ground option!  :) 
    Posted 12 years ago by Tanaise Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd also like to change to a middle ground option -- but maybe just an indicator bar with no scale so you can vaguely estimate if you're somewhere near the beginning, the middle or the end and be reassurred that you do get closer (if you're in need of encouragement).
    Posted 12 years ago by Jenny Wren Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1. This would be very helpful.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zaeirra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear Scilly, I give out things from the goodness of my heart. Perhaps a survey on Glitchy altruism is needed!
    Posted 12 years ago by apricotchiffon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Me too! I love giving glitches free Candy!
    Posted 12 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love a progress meter. An exact one. Not just a general idea. The idea of avoiding click fests seems odd since the achievements exist in the first place and we have now had the introduction of feats.

I think it would be good to have an on/off/general option for people to choose the level they wish to know of their progress. This would be my preferred outcome :)

I like to work towards achievements. There's nothing wrong with that. It affects no one but me.

I don't care about levelling. Others do. It affects no one but them.

If it stays with no indication I'm cool with it as that will be how the game is meant to be. I get frustrated when I see people force their lack of interest in working towards achievements on others by asking that it not be swapped to indicate progress. If someone wants only the general indication for their personal benefit, cool... It differs from my want, but everyone has different tastes and play styles :)

I find it interesting that we have an exact levelling progress indicator and no one seems bothered with that anywhere near the amount people seem bothered with achievement progress indicators.
    Posted 12 years ago by xombiekitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to middle ground.
    Posted 12 years ago by timothymh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No thank you.  I like the surprise of getting a badge, and I like it when they come via actions that I'd be doing anyway (ie not grinding for it).  Eventually I'll harvest 1009 pieces of paper - but first, I'll harvest 503, and then I'll know I'm approximately halfway there.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jacuzzi Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for Middle Ground...i don't like blind and nor do i like overly specific either
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What about a outer circle that goes around the not completed achievement badge that would give you a percentage idea of what you have earned. The outer circle would be filled in as you do things to get the acheivement, the more the circle around the badge is filled in the more progress you have towards the badge.

Or the same idea they are using for the feats - the badge could be filled up with colors the more you complete towards the achievement.
    Posted 12 years ago by creaksalot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • so, how about a revival of the middle ground thread?
    www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/...
    Posted 12 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd love to have an indicator. I have no idea where I am on the 5003 herbs badge, for example.  Put it on the encyclopedia page for each achievement so folks who don't want to see can simply avoid going to the page.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We can see progress on some things - ie you can see where you have visited on the map, and on the encyc. so why not a progress indicator on other things, maybe it could be optional or not very obvious (??) like a  progress bar rather than a counter so you can see if you are nearly there without an exact number. id like that.

edit : what creaksalot said actually, now that i read it properly!! ;o)
    Posted 12 years ago by Opally Subscriber! | Permalink