Topic

Downloadable client

Come on, give us a downloadable client already.  I'm sick and tired of having the refresh this game all the time.   I never do those special level cards because I hate having to reload the game to get any responsiveness out of the controls. 

And trying to decorate my tower?  OMG that suck.  Grab a wallpaper or floor or whatever and it take over a minute to place it, all the while I'm holding it waiting for something to happen. 

We need a real client!

Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Juice Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• 1. That would require a massive rewriting / changing of code.
    2. A big part of the reason for Flash is its ease of updating, adding to the game etc.
    3. No client makes it so it easier to access, from anywhere.

Essentially I wouldn't hold my breath on this topic......
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
    I don't like the thought of this being a client, where they would need to take maintenance breaks and patch it. 
    Posted 12 years ago by ???? Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They can still run the flash client, just have an additional downloadable client.  Or perhaps some sort of hybrid client where you can download some of the game assets to help speed things up.

The potential this game has for any arcade style gaming is ruined by the choppy controls once you've been playing for any length of time.
  • -1....forgot the -1....and yes also what Reezy said....a lot of maintenance and downtime
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -1 there are plenty of games with more complicated visuals that are fine as browser games; TS just needs to put some effort into optimization
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -1 one of the things i love about glitch is that i never had to download a client to play it. It's really offputting...!
    Posted 12 years ago by Arietty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 flash is dying and the game would benefit immensely from native clients on a few platforms, especially mobile ones like IOS and Android.  This is coming whether you guys -1 it or not (and I think your reasons above are poorly thought out- patches are not that big a deal).  If the game is going to survive, it's going to need to move away from flash at some point.  Remember that adobe's errors and crazy patches can mess up the game too, so relying on flash actually increases the points of potential failure rather than decreasing them.  Either way, this is going to have to happen at some point if they want to keep the game viable because flash itself isn't going to be well supported very soon and it's already dead as far as mobile is concerned.
    Posted 12 years ago by Frotzenjammer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with Frotzenjammer that Flash should be replaced (although I doubt that will happen any time soon). However, I still think a native client isn't the answer either.

The direction is towards browser-based games (for all but AAA 3D titles) and taking advantage of HTML5 would allow support for tablets without requiring multiple clients.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All I know is the game was wonderful, once upon a time! Now, It is frustrating! As we become very good at game controls(moving around and interacting w/stuff at peak levels), we are penalized with sh***y lag!
    Posted 12 years ago by bayBi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's running fine for me at the moment but I did spend a bit of time a few weeks ago trying to find a flash only application that would presumably clear out all the browser optimized stuff just leaving game space, no luck there. The only bit that seems broken speed wise is the deimaginators in the smuggly quest - land on a new level, hear the boing and by the time it starts moving again it's all over but, perfectly acceptable that aside.
    Posted 12 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -1 The only time that I have any massive lag problems is when I have either been playing for several hours or if I'm on my junky computer at work. Optimize your computer with the latest version of Flash, getting rid of browser toolbars, running a virus scan, cleaning up startup items, and getting a lighter antivirus. Maybe upgrade your RAM. Reboot your computer more often. Run wired versus wireless. Don't download/run torrents/etc on any computer when playing. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Ganesha Xi in SL Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for client as alternative. It would use flash internally anyway (and propably some html rendering engine). And make Steam integration on that! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Luvi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really don't think HTML5 is any better.  The HTML5 games I play suffer from the same memory leak problems flash has. 
  • I actually came on to see if an iOS/andriod option is in the works. This game is a perfect hybrid for portable devices.

I honestly haven't logged in since over a year ago. Right now things are busy. When i do have time To turn on the computer for non-work I play Guild Wars 2. But Glitch would be perfect for those times where i will be interrupted, but can easily pick up a phone and loose myself for a bit.
    Posted 12 years ago by Azuri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1, as long as it's not Flash.
    Update problems aside, a Java client could cache resources and might be easier to port to Android and other mobile platforms.
    Posted 12 years ago by Andrew the Grey Subscriber! | Permalink