Topic

Glitch Bank

I'm sure there are other plays like me who just can't have money in the pocket...
Yes I'm a compulsive buyer in Glitch and in real life...
So my idea is creating a Bank where we can deposit our curants...

What do you guys think?

Posted 12 years ago by lolol Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• @lolol - there have been many proposals for a bank so you aren't alone in wanting one. See some of the previous (now closed due to inactivity) threads here:

www.glitch.com/forum/search...

A quick read of the threads I found lead me to this totally unscientific conclusion: Most Glitchen either A) don't care whether or not we ever get banks in Glitch since our funds are secure as is or B) Seem to think banks are a bad/pointless idea.

However, there is a segment of players who keep proposing the idea again and again, self-proclaimed compulsive buyers such as yourself who "just can't have money in the pocket" without spending it. (Not that all players proposing banks fall into this category, just saying I have noticed a number of proposers mentioning the inability to save currants if they have easy access.)

A TS solution might be to give the Crocs at Bureaucratic Halls something else to do. They would happily accept deposits, hassle-free without the usual endless questions. However, when you want to withdraw funds, you have to show up and beg the crocs and listen to their annoying questions: "Would you rather: Spend this money? Or keep saving up for the future?" and "Which is better? A full bank account or a floor littered with duplicate cubimals?"

Something like this would not be mandatory, players would only deposit if they wanted. Interest would not factor in to it (and you might even have to pay a small fee to the crocs for storing your money).

However, to create a banking system, no matter how simple, would require a huge amount of work for a feature that isn't being asked for by a ton of players. A TS-created bank seems pretty unlikely at this point.

That said, these bank request threads seem to die pretty quickly without getting more than a few replies. Maybe your best bet is to dig through previous bank threads and find like-minded Glitchen and see if any are interested in forming a group that could band together to brainstorm some player-created solutions?
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @The Cat Face: The bureaucroc deposit notion you've suggested is about the best I've heard as a mechanism for getting funds out of one's pocket and adding some friction to executing withdrawals.

That said, I have in the past posted against the banking notion.  Your notion of how it might be executed is persuasive.

Nice job!
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There have been player-run banks in the past, but I believe every one of them has ended with someone absconding with all the "deposits".   There is no way to guarantee you will be able to recover what you have freely handed over to another player.
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "There is no way to guarantee you will be able to recover what you have freely handed over to another player." Which is yet another excellent way to make sure you don't spend them ;)

While I personally haven't heard specific cases of Glitch-player-created Banks absconding with the currants of others, oscarette makes a great point and I completely avoided this aspect in my post. The trust issue is difficult, especially if the idea is to scale beyond a few players. But since there never seem to be a ton of players actively interested in a bank, perhaps the players you find that are interested can create something and make it work on a small scale to meet your needs. Think out of the box, beyond "bank". Maybe a group that competes to save currants, with specific individual and/or group goals stated in the group and incentives for reaching those goals? Banding together in some shape or form that only you can determine may be a big help.
  • why can't they make piggy banks? like how the SDBs hold money now until you collect it. An SDB or room decoration that holds currants instead of items.
    Posted 12 years ago by lazulisong Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "why can't they make piggy banks?" Dunno, but that has been suggested before as well. Maybe one day they will.
  • I'd love if we had piggy banks in our houses. An actual bank not so much.
    Even if our sdb's could hold currants that would be great.
    Posted 12 years ago by Terribelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for piggy banks!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • how about a piggy bank... that talks?
    Posted 12 years ago by GiaTori Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes, piggy banks would be cool, i hope TS creates piggy banks (or just simple banks) soon...
    Posted 12 years ago by lolol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As in real life, I find that conserving your currants is a simple mode for living. However, in regards to having a "piggy bank" in your house, in the spirit of the game I'd much rather have some other creature, such as a walrus or a rhino bank. :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Ganesha Xi in SL Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like The Cat Face's suggestion of money keeping being a job for bureaucrocs.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Make an alt that just stores your cash? Or perhaps a trusted friend? Piggy banks are not useful because there is currently no issue with holding an unlimited amount of currants, pretty straight up.
    Posted 12 years ago by LųĉĩđεşşΨ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Piggies are cute, but can I have a chicken bank for my house?

Also, even though I see no need for a physical bank building (and would probably never use it), The Cat Face's description is so amusing and appropriate that I have to +1 it anyway.
    Posted 12 years ago by Chimeric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • what piggy banks?

chickens already do the incubation of any eggs, why not having the piggies themselfs to be the banks? xD
    well, surely the piggy doing the bank will have to stay in the back yard to be secure from being captured by visitors o_o but even with a normal strongbox you wouldn't leave it in the front yard, do you? :3
    Posted 12 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink