Topic

Better Butling

......What?  Butling must logically be what butlers do, right?

Anyway.  I've see this suggested -- just in basic principle, not in detail -- before, but I think it would be very useful to be able to see what my butler has left to hand out, or when he runs out, or when people just aren't taking the gift.  It'd also be nice to be able to have him hand out items that don't stack or stack only in small numbers.

I have a few suggestions to expand on this and flesh out the butler functionality a bit.

1.  Add a butler message (with an option to mute it) for "I just gave <PLAYER> a <GIFT ITEM>."
2.  Add a butler message "I have run out of gifts to hand out."
3.  Completely replace the current interface for giving the butler stuff to hand out.  Instead of giving the butler a single item or single stack of items that is completely opaque once given, give the butler a small inventory (say, 4 spaces to start with), which you can open on demand like a cabinet, and then just drag arbitrary items between your inventory and your butler's.  If you give him items of multiple different types to hand out, he will pick at random what to give each player.

But wait...!  There's more!

UPGRADE CARD:  Better Butling
With this upgrade, if your butler has more than one type of item in his inventory, he will offer players visiting your street a choice of the available items.

UPGRADE CARD:  Butler Bootay 1/2/3
Butler Bootay 1 and 2 each add two additional spaces to your butler's inventory.  Butler Bootay 3 adds a final 4 spaces.

Posted 12 years ago by Alaric Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Yeah!  All of that!  Also, butlers should moonwalk on command.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1, especially when the butler runs out. 

Great ideas - I love that butlers can hand out stuff as is, but I'd really, really love to see more options and expansions on the idea!  Also, if I can add a tiny additional request - I'd love to be able to give my butler furniture to hand out.  I just think it'd be nice to be able to, say, give out SDBs. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to everything, including moonwalk :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Trixie Leitz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes! I like these! And I'd love to see more fun/social upgrades like this. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Strange Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All good stuff! And "butling" is the best word and will henceforth be used by me in all conceivable situations involving butlers. (Not many, but still!)
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +3, including what Trixie said.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To me it makes more sense to have projects to improve your butler, rather than buying upgrade cards.
    Posted 12 years ago by Akhen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1!
    Posted 12 years ago by Llewella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pixie Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to everything! I would love to know when my Butler is all out of things to distribute.
    Posted 12 years ago by Twotone Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All the +1 to this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And a "go away and never come back, you creepy thing"-command.
    Posted 12 years ago by Waffle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1, and an extra +1 for reminding me of one of my favorite movies:

"Who are you?"

"The butler, sir."

"And what do you do?"

"I butle, sir."

"Which means... what?"

-Clue
    Posted 12 years ago by Delyth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For reference, "buttle" is a legitimate word. It originated in the mid-late 1800s and was, as Delyth shows from the Clue quote, used to describe what it is that butlers do! It can be found in print in the works of the amazing P.G. Wodehouse, whom some of you may know as the author of the "Jeeves" books.

So it's kind of nonsensey, but it does exist!

P.S. Love the OP ideas! Nicely thought out.
    Posted 12 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes butler upgrades :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink