Topic

Connect home streets to Ur regions

I think if TS does something to connect home streets to the world, the new houses will be better in all ways than the old.

For example, if the players were forced to pick a region, their home street and house exterior style would be constrained to match the chosen region.

And, the visiting stones in that region would prompt you with a list of names of players who chose that region, instead of transporting you to a random street.

Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• "Forced" and "constrained" are very un-Glitchy imo.

+1 for connecting home streets to the world.

-1 for taking away our creative choices for our houses and streets.

-1 for un-randomizing the visiting stones, as if people should only stay in one type of region and not experience any of the others.

If any player wants to only experience the bogs, for example, they can have that house/street style and only travel to the bog areas of the world. However, that should be a choice and not forced upon everyone.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink

I love the freedom of the current housing.  I love being able to pop home as I like.  I love being able to change my home looks for a tiny bit of iMG and time.  I love being able to be sent to (almost) anyone's home street from the stones.

What's the real benefit of this suggestion? If you want to link your home to a specific region in looks and resources, nothing is stopping you - but why do you want to limit what other people have?
    Posted 12 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I do like the idea of being able to in some sense connect my home street to one or more places in the world, but I agree with the other two commenters that the other aspects of this suggestion would be unpleasant. I'd like to see it work more like the current signpost - a one-way connection from the home street to one or more places that the player has chosen to connect to, that aren't necessarily related to the home street or each other in any way. (Obviously, these should be *very* expensive, and perhaps they should be limited to being in peoples houses or backyards or otherwise made so that strangers can't use them, so that they don't entirely supplant teleportation.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Adelene Subscriber! | Permalink
    Posted 12 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • related/similar developed idea: Community Hubs
    http://www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/27760/
    Posted 12 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This suggestion...uhm...seems like the previous housing system. Just sayin'. :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Auspex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Auspex Exactly; many people are complaining that the new housing is too isolating, and this would allow us to "place" our home street in Ur like in the old system, while still maintaining the flexibility of our street/house/yard from the new system.
  • Big Problem:  The ever growing userbase does not allow for a list of homes to be displayed in any reasonable manner.  We're talking hundreds, if not thousands, of Glitches per region, per signpost or visiting stone.  This is one of the primary reasons that the old housing system was scrapped.

If you can solve that problem, then Tiny Speck might be able to do it.

That said, I really like Adelene's idea!
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Carl I'd solve it in the same way they already do for mail and signposts: type-ahead and/or search.

Note that in the old housing regions, there were a fixed number of streets, each with a fixed number of addresses. This could be maintained (to force people to spread out more) if it seems like everyone would attach to Cebarkul.