Topic

High Level Upgrade: Recipe Cards for player generated Recipes

I suspect that something similar has been suggested before, but I felt inspired, so here is my idea. 

Summary
"Recipe Cards" would be player made and designed upgrades that would give the Glitch the uses it the ability to make the Recipe on the card.  This would allow for custom, player-made content as well as high-level content for long-time players.

Skills needed:
At a very high level (I dunno, lvl 50, lvl 60, something like that), a Glitch is able to learn a new Alph/Lem-aligned skill:  Imagineering.  This skill will allow that Glitch to write and design "Recipe Cards".

At a lower level, say lvl 30 or 40, a Glich could learn the Spriggin/Tii aligned-skill Card Making, which allows that Glitch to manufacturer blank Cards out of several blank sheets of paper.  Maybe 10 sheets of paper= 1 card.  These cards could be then used by players with Imagineering to write Recipe Cards, or maybe also to make holiday cards or other things.

Mechanic
A high-level Glitch designs a Recipe for a new type of beverage or food (or other stuff, if the mechanic were expanded) item.  Say the following:

Apple Cider (using Cocktail Shaker)
5 Apples
2 Allspice
1 Tiny Bubble

An algorithm would determine, based on the base values of the ingredients, what the energy/mood/price values of this drink would be.  This high-level Glitch would then use a Quill, a Card, and small amount of IMG (based, again, on the value of the ingredients) to produce a single Recipe Card

The Recipe Card would be trade-able and sell-able, just like the Get-out-of-Hell-free or Reshuffle cards.  However, the result of using the card (which would also cost a little bit of IMG) would be that a Glitch would then gain the Recipe for Apple Cider for their Cocktail Shaker.  Any Glitch could purchase this Recipe Card and gain the Recipe.  However, once it is used, the Card disappears, so the high-level Glitch will have to make more, and could sell them for whatever they want.

Some sort of locking mechanic might also need to be in place to make is so that, once a recipe combination has been created, it is tied to a particular account.  This I don't know how exactly it would work, but would avoid the inevitable copy-catting and "stealing" of Glitchen's designs. 

Edit as suggested in the discussion: 

Item Images:
Item images for the resulting food and drink items could be generated from a generic template with different, customizable colors. 

For drinks, a cup like the one for Lemon Juice or Orange Juice  or the icon for Cloud 11 Smoothie and Too Berry Shake and create a series of different colored versions that could be assigned to a recipe. 

For food, maybe different colored take-out boxes like a Chinese take-out box or a bento box.

Or, better yet, a transparent icons with a colored slider so you can pick the perfect RBG combination.

Anyway, just a thought.  Talk amongst yourselves. :)

--Grem

Posted 12 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Oooh, sounds cool. Me likey!
    Posted 12 years ago by Griselda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this idea a lot, but I think that a better way to give it out would be to have ALL of the cooking skills. (And I mean ALL of them, you have to have mastered every level.)

And for the Card Making... perhaps a certain combination of Industrial skills.

I love this idea but it could take me months to get to that high a level, and I've already maxed out ALL of my cooking skills and achievements and would LOVE more to do with my cooking at the level I am now and at the rate I myself can level. (One or two a week, maybe three during a Feat or when I'm really trying.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pika Pika Pikarin~! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I agree that it would take a really, really long time to get to that level.  That said, there is a supreme lack of high-level content in general, so the idea was to help enrich the game for high-level players.

That being said, I fully intended this idea to allow new and mid-level players to use the Recipe Cards.  So, it definitely would help enrich the game play for lower-level players as well as higher-level Glitchen.
  • What kind of art would be used for the generated item?  I guess if we would getting fancy, you could use a widget like the Vanity to combined/change color of various pieces to create your own, unique, item image but that seems super complex.  However, a generic image also seems bad given the general game style.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dottie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mmmm, good question.  Perhaps you could have a choice of either generic images or some sort of bitmap tool for making your own image... I imagine pending TS approval, of course.  But yes, images would be an open question...
  • This is an absolutely amazing idea, though the imagery for the recipe created could pose an issue. 

Imagine if, say, a bunch of high level (or maxed out cooking) users decided they wanted to make a bunch of custom recipes? That would be a lot of custom images for their custom recipes and a lot of wait time for TS to approve of the images used.

However, what if there was just a general image used for whatever recipe created?

For instance, if you were to create the apple cider recipe, how about have an image of, say, a cocktail shaker, but with a little icon next to it to show it's a custom recipe item? 

Sure, that'd be kind of annoying to have to hover over each custom cocktail recipe item if you were to make a bunch of custom cocktails, but it would save on custom images, TS approval time, and (I assume, not really sure how all this kind of stuff works) space to save all of these custom images.

Also, different items have different stacking limits (meat 60, deluxe sammiches 12, etc). How would stacking of custom recipes be decided?
    Posted 12 years ago by Smass Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, a generic item image is a good interim solution.  Or maybe a small series of generic images.  Like, for beverages, if one were to take the Lemon Juice or Orange Juice icons (very similar except for color) or the Cloud 11 Smoothie and Too Berry Shake (virtually identical, except for color) and created a series of different colored versions that could be assigned to a recipe.  Or, better yet, a transparent one with a colored slider so you can pick the perfect RBG combination!!

Food is clearly a bit trickier.  Maybe different colored take-out boxes?  Something that looks like a Chinese take-out box or a bento box or something like that?  I dunno, I'm just spit-balling here.

Well, I would assume that all custom recipes would have standard stacking.  The standard stack for prepared beverages is 24, with some exceptions.  I think the standard stack for prepared meals is 12.  So, I would imagine that the stacking would be whatever the standard stack is for that type of food.  That would be easiest, I would think. 
  • This is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to see in Glitch! Player-generated content instantly, or nearly instantly, added into Ur.

I have been itching for new recipes, so this would be super! If I read this correctly, once someone uses/reads/activates the Recipe Card, they "gain" that recipe for good? Or for a one time use? Basically, would this act like "completing Your Papers", where the effect becomes part of you (once done, you can ride the subway anytime)? Or like a "Ticket to ...", where when activated, you can make a batch of that recipe right then, but you need another Recipe Card if you want to make it again.

In the first instance, the creator would need/want to make LOTS of copies of the Recipe Card -- potentially one for each and every glitch! In the second instance, if the creator stopped making copies of the Recipe Card, no one would be able to make that again.

Either way, this is an awesome idea!!
    Posted 12 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :)  Yes, I had imagined this as being a "Completing Your Papers" kind of thing, so that once you read a particular recipe, you always know it (unless there were some sort of means for forgetting recipes....).
  • (Hmmm, forgetting recipes ..... I wouldn't mind forgetting the recipe for carob-ish brownies ....)
  • *shudders* 
  • I so dig this.

The neat thing about using a generic image, like a cup and a take-out box, for these things, is that it makes them obviously different from TS created food.  So, you will always know when you are in possession of player created food.  There is a benefit to this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Exactly!! (I'd apologize for taking this off-topic, but you're the one who mentioned forgetting.)
  • No worries.  I've updated the original post with the generic image idea.  I agree that it would be great for making it clear that it is something different from TS created food. :)  Great feedback!!