Topic

How about a Glitch mud?

Okay. We were talking about this on global chat:

How about a Glitch mud? Or a Glitch muck?

If you've ever coded a mud, you know it's pretty easy to build areas. We'd lose some of the platform aspect of the game, but what we all say we'd miss is the community. I have to say that I loved muds for community: it's a game, sure, but people mostly sit around and talk while playing idly.

There are a LOT of programmers playing on Glitch, and LPC is easy enough for even crappy non-programmers like me to pick up the basics. A lot of the rooms would also be cut'n'paste on the code part, and the actual descriptions would be the bulk of the work, which is where the eager non-programmers could help a lot.

LPC's good for random events, quests, variable descriptions dependent on player input or other factors in the room ...

We'd need Tiny Speck's permission because of copyright issues, and also I doubt we'd guess at everything from our collected player memories.

So: how about it? Who's in? I am.

Posted 11 years ago by Garradha Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• If it's a web based mud, it could still have all the graphics, actually.  Just not animated.  Much.

If this gets done, I'd be a periodic resident!
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a cool idea!
    Posted 11 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was thinking about something like this myself. There is a program called QUEST. It is a text based game creator. I was having a play around with it a few nights ago when I thought of the idea. I'd definitely be up for this.
    Posted 11 years ago by Arsura Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a great idea!! I'd be happy to help with any descriptions, and such. No programming though.
    Posted 11 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love this.
    Posted 11 years ago by Elendraug Subscriber! | Permalink