Topic

Worst movies you ever saw?

I watched Bridesmaids over the weekend and thoroughly disliked it, although it doesn't quite make my list of the worst movies that I've ever seen.  That list consists of:

- The Matrix (all of them)
- Fargo
- Star Trek V (so bad that I've never been able to watch the whole thing)

What are the worst movies *you've* ever seen?

Posted 12 years ago by Trekkie Gal Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2
  • Eep. We obviously don't share the same tastes. But in the spirit of the post...
    Excluding movies that are so bad they are good or movies that are just amateurish...

A little piece of a mess from 1994 called S.F.W.. Imagine (if you can) Natural Born Killers meets Pump Up The Volume.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1999 Wing Commander
    Posted 12 years ago by Quinton Falkner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tiptoes. If was a little person, I'd either be really hot under the collar or would be gasping for air through the laughter.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aww, I love Fargo. Such hilarious accents.

Children of the Corn, I think they made a couple. Only saw the first one. So terrible.

And It. Basically I think you can find a whole bunch of bad movies if you go through film adaptations of Stephen King novels and novella's. You do get the occasional gem though ie STand By Me, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Bone Collector. Very unrealistic, crappy story.
    And the one where Samuel L. Jackson is made of glass or something like that... Unbreakable.
    Posted 12 years ago by Victoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really liked Unbreakable (as opposed to most of Shyamalan's movies)- it's basically the origin-story of an average-joe, less-perfect (and thus, less-boring) Superman, with Jackson as his Lex Luthor... and none of the "defeated by Kryptonite, a rare mineral every two-bit criminal can get their hands on for a couple bucks" business- Willis' weakness is much more mundane, and thus, less of a stretch for me.
  • It's hard for me to make a list because I usually revel in bad films. Sometimes I truely enjoy the experience of watching an awful film. Obviously, I've seen everything that Uwe Boll has made.  I also have a large collection of movies from The Asylum.

By the way, there are actually 9 Children of the Corn movies (if you include the remake of the original). That's right, 9.  Think about that for a minute.  The world feels like a much colder place now, doesn't it?
    Posted 12 years ago by Baka no Kami Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's always Disney's "The Black Hole"

Otherwise, "Star Trek V" was pretty bad, even if you go beyond the internal inconsistencies (decks numbered the wrong way, 80+ decks, etc.).

I stopped watching "Troy" because of a bad edit (camera crosses the axis of motion).
    Posted 12 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • bad movies?

I'd say about all the zombie movies from Thailand.

And have you seen chinese kung-fu vampire movies? omg....

and I won't even mention Korean Dancing/Musical Zombie movies (think sound of music with micheal jackson thriller style coreography)

and then there is Japanese Rock N Roll/UFO invasion/zombie/transvetite movies, yes all those themes in one movie...
    Posted 12 years ago by Crispa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Blair Witch ... story?...chronicle?...project?...whatever the hell it was.
    Posted 12 years ago by Firestone1960 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fargo?

FARGO?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That movie is fantastic!!! :O

You just made me want to go watch it again. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sad for you, Cefeida.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Trekkie Gal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Adventureland......absolutely awful.....also The Village
    Posted 12 years ago by Nairb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Crispa, I awesome you have seen Funky Forest? I give a link to a scene with FULL WARNING that it is weird and possibly disturbing.

I love Fargo (and hating on folks for liking a movie is kind of... unclassy). I was living in Minneapolis at the time and some were offended by the accents... but they were usually with folks with accents just like that. (There are many scenes that completely nail that part of the midwest being. The scene were Marge goes to dinner with Mike? Perfect!)

Also an Unbreakable fan but I understand you have to appreciate the superhero myth deconstruction it is attempting.

For me, if a movie knows what it is and embraces it and does it, then I'm cool with it. Hudson Hawk is underrated for that reason. It is weird and strange but they know what they it is. A truly bad movie is one that either (1) fails at what it is attempting or (2) has no idea what it is. One reason, while not nearly the worst movie I've ever seen, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was so hard for me to watch. I adore Terry Gilliam (Brazil being in my top 10, flaws and all) but he seems to lost all focus on the actual heart of his earlier movies. 

In that vain, Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland made me angry. Oh, Burton! What happened to you?! Visually, you are stunning. But you seem to have lost all feeling! Also, one of my favorite stories of all time so mishandled.
  • Don't cry for me, TrekkieGal :P And Nairb, I suppose, since I really liked The Village, too!

Lord Bacon-o, I share your feelings about Gilliam and Burton.  I mean, I adore Gilliam, I will see anything he does, but I also know it will not be good enough :( But I still think he puts more heart into it all than Burton, who seems to think a crazy visual concept+Johnny Depp is enough to make a good movie. 
  • Cefeida, sounds like we should have movie night!
  • Your place or mine? And what movie? I haven't seen anything new in forever, cinema's just too expensive right now.
  • I think Gilliam gets a lot less credit on his more recent films than he should, like Tideland, which I love (the point of view it's told from is everything), or, yeah,  Dr Parnassus, which has an incredible depth of symbolism to it. I think Burton's overrated though- the last Burton movie I enjoyed was Sleepy Hollow. His superfans' stance on his films reminds me a lot of Kevin Smith's fans: even if his last several movies haven't been good, he's still amazing and can do no wrong- it's everybody else's fault that they don't "get his genius"... even if, in Burton's case, it's increasingly a situation of style-over-substance.
    The Village I absolutely loathed though- it worked really well and reminded me of a Nathaniel Hawthorne story (with a hint of Lovecraft) for the first 3/4ths of the film, then jerks the rug out from under you and lets you in on the secret that you've had your time wasted for all of it in the last act. I think, had M. Night Shyamalan not decided that the twist was everything, it would've been a great (and very creepy) story, but the twist screws all that up (what a tweest!).
  • In no particular order:

1. The Aviator
    2. The English Patient
    3. Napoleon Dynamite
    4. Hallowe'en - I walked out. Yes, I'm a chicken sh*t.
    Posted 12 years ago by Echo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fargo seriously is one of the best comedies ever made...in my opinion.

Furry Vengeance, and I Know Who Killed Me on the other hand...
    Posted 12 years ago by Kai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Koyaniskatski (not sure of spelling)
    Posted 12 years ago by gimmegames Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought Napoleon Dynamite was stupid. I wouldn't say it's on my list of worst movies, but what an over-hyped piece of crap that was.
  • Hudson Hawk was one of my favorite movies growing up. I occasionally find myself singing the tune "Would You Like to Swing on a Star" whilst robbing museums, or when I come across a girl named evie.

Oh and to add to the list: Howard the Duck, Theodore Rex
    Posted 12 years ago by Quinton Falkner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TK-855: I am with you re: Disney's The Black Hole. Completely putrid.

I, too, LOVE Fargo. 

I loathed "Raise The Titanic" (and was not keen on most of "Titanic", either, so sue me). It's not the boat's fault. I find the story sad and interesting, but do not much like the filmed versions.
    Posted 12 years ago by ✰ Lorelei ✰ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The first Matrix movie is legendary! :O
    Posted 12 years ago by Mandy.23 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Zookeeper....even the kids I took who wanted to see it hated it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gadzooks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I tried watching Napoleon Dynamite because everyone said it was so awesome. Didn't work for me at all  :( I got bored right at the start. But I can't say it was bad because I haven't seen all of it!

Titanic made me SO ANGRY. So much money, such a fabulous (and for its time, pioneer) CG technology, so much hype, good actors, beautiful sets, perfect lighting, one of the most epic, most tragic true stories of all time, and all to serve as background for WHAT? A story that's so shallow, it belongs on fanfiction.net with a Mary Sue rating. 

And then he turns around and does the same thing years later with Avatar! Worse, even, because the visuals are even better, but despite being set on an alien world, the story still manages to show a disturbing racial bias. Which would be fine, if the movie was about addressing that bias in an off-world analogy. But it's not. It's about a Young White North American Male saving the world. Twenty-first frickin century, haven't we had enough of that tripe? Aren't we ready for something a little more insightful? 

Sorry. I am ranting. But I can't stand to see waste like that.

However, the first Matrix movie IS legendary. Here's another thing to rant about- this strange obsession with making sequels to everything, including movies that are perfect as stand-alones. 
  • I can honestly say I was entertained by all the Matrix movies. I think, obviously, the first one's the only real gem there, but I didn't hate the others, mostly because I wasn't looking for  Zen koans and philosophical structure for my life - I was looking for badass wire-fu, robots, explosions, car-chases (I'm sorry, but that's the best part of Reloaded), mechs shooting mechanical squid and so on. In short, I expected them to have cool visuals and not much else. So I don't look back on them with hatred or anything- hell, those were probably the first movies I ever paid to see in Imax (and I wasn't sorry).
    I think the first movie's legacy would be better had the last two not gotten made, but they've still got a spot in my heart.
  • @Baka no Kami

I feel ill now.Nine. Really?? hahaha

@Lord Bacon-o 

I'm with you on the Parnassus front, although I think for me the reason for not liking it was the whole hanging man theme it had going on. Bit of a sensitive issue, haha. 
  • @Jeff Buckley- I could understand that- I knew somebody who couldn't watch it for very similar reasons.
    I guess I loved all the Hermetic/Tarot/gnostic/Agartha/chthonic imagery to it, and the sheer allegory of almost everything in it- as well as Verne Troyer in an organ-grinder-monkey outfit (gotta wonder what he thought of it, though).
  • @Jeff Buckley- I could understand that- I knew somebody who couldn't watch it for very similar reasons.
    I guess I loved all the Hermetic/Tarot/gnostic/Agartha/chthonic imagery to it, and the sheer allegory of almost everything in it- as well as Verne Troyer in an organ-grinder-monkey outfit (gotta wonder what he thought of it, though).
    I guess I loved all the Hermetic/Tarot/gnostic/Agartha/chthonic imagery to it, and the sheer allegory of the story- as well as Verne Troyer in an organ-grinder-monkey outfit (gotta wonder what he thought of it, though), and Tom Waits as the Devil.
  • Mutha-f**ckin-Snakes On A Plane!!

I'll never get that hour and a half back. Never.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dahlia DreadNaught Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One night my friends and I decided to have an 80's movie night. I like a lot of 80s movies, but my then-boyfriend picked what I can only describe as "The Worst Thing Since Leprosy." I've walked out of movie theaters before, but this was the first and last time I've ever walked out of my own apartment due to a movie. Here it is, a scene from Steele Justice.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eleni Ivanova Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Djabrill, yeah Tom Waits as the Devil was pretty amazing, haha.
  •  Leprechaun 5 - Leprechaun In The Hood (2000) is pretty dang awful.
    +1 for Fargo love
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • double poster boy
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't believe this post has gone this long without anyone mentioning "Battlefield Earth".  I actually watched the whole thing thinking that SOMETHING interesting was bound to happen.  Another one that ranks right up there is "The Postman".  I actually fell asleep for an hour during the middle of that movie, but I don't think I missed anything.

And I agree with others.  Fargo is a great movie.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shootsin Latters Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol yeah, Battlefield Earth. I hate to admit to having sat through that entire turd in the theatres. It's funny to read the comments the screenwriter makes about it now, though, and how much overbearing input Travolta's "people" had into it (which was one of the things, apparently, that told him how much a turd it was gonna be in the end). Hey, at least he can laugh- that was 10 bucks outta my pocket I'll never see again.
  • Saw one the other night, man what a stinker.
    Knowing with Nic Cage. My reactions to this ranged from snorting through my nose (his acting), being almost physically sick (an extremely graphic plane crash) and extreme disbelief (aliens want to take his son?! And he lets them?!)
    So all in all, 'Not Knowing' this movie would be a good thing.
    Posted 12 years ago by Geezereth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tommy Wiseau film "The Room" Epic film in how awful it is.
    Ed Woods film "Plan 9 from outer space"
    Posted 12 years ago by Melancholia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I watched the entirety of Troll 2. Any argument EVER is invalid.
    Posted 12 years ago by Clumdalglitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Matrix is one of my favorites! BLASPHEMY! Haha. No, but seriously... Hostel 2 probably has to be the worst movie I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.
    Posted 12 years ago by Reznir Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Twilight.
    Worst acting, worst plot,
    I want my life back.
    Posted 12 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Red.
    I cried almost the whole time, and was so upset after I couldn't sleep.  What a terrible and disturbing movie.  :: sob ::

There are a lot of movies here that I love XD ...
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Watched the worst movie ever just last night.  I was Glitching with this in the back ground.
    Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus.
    Posted 12 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Core. So bad it actually became quite entertaining.

Snakes on a Plane. Watched to see if it was as bad as everyone said. It was.

And, I always get stick for this, Star Wars. Never made it through a whole one without falling asleep.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sideco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bahaha omg Stormy I have wanted to see that for ages, just to make fun of it.  XD  Was it as terrible as I've assumed~?  Is it at least laugh-worthy?
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Miso George - LOL - yes watch it to make fun of it, I was laughing and shaking my head a few times, but do not spend any money on it :-P  The special effects are like something from the 50s and Urkel (from Family Matters fame) stars in it (that should give you a bit of a clue).
    Posted 12 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2