Topic

Staff Topic

Glitch, Unlaunched

We are taking Glitch back to beta. This is some big news. The story’s told in this blog post, which you ought to read before continuing to read this. :)

But I know that reading about the over-arching thoughts behind the decision will raise many questions from you all, the most fundamental being: “How will the game change for me, and what does ‘beta’ mean?”

Playing Glitch will be a very similar experience to what you’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of months, except punctuated with some big changes to the fundamentals (like XP, energy and housing) and the addition of functionality that puts more creative power in your hands and allows you to have more of an impact on of the world of Glitch. To that end:

• The world will continue to be open around the clock, though there may be occasional (and brief) down-times

• You’ll still be able to invite friends in limited quantities, but general sign-ups will go back to being queued

• The player support team will be devoting more time to ensuring these new additions are working the way they should, which could mean slower response times to help cases (though we’ll still aim for the fastest turnaround possible)

• We’ll encourage players to help us test all of this out, and hunt down bugs with us as new features are released

• Though you’ll still be able to buy credits and subscriptions, whoever feels they want a refund because of the change (or for any reason) can do so through December 31st.

• And finally, while we are not currently planning another reset — resetting again is very unlikely — that might change. And even without a complete reset, some of the transitions will be big and the old systems won’t map perfectly to the new ones. For example, the new housing system will be a big change (some details here).

It’s all a bit crazy, but this is an exciting time for us. We’re doing it to make sure that all of you have a game that is awesome to play from the first moment you step into the world to deep into your Glitch adulthood.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, I will be reading along and answering them as best I can. You can also take a look at the new FAQ section we wrote just for this (we’ll be editing and adding to it as questions arise).

Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• It seems like things will only be reset if something happens that breaks things in such a way that the only way to fix them will be a reset. In which case, most people crying about a possible reset now will likely be begging for one if they're still playing.

I have no opinion either way about a reset, and will likely still throw my money at the game once I have money to throw around. I'm not dreading anything.

On the contrary, I'm really excited for the new content to be rolled out. Like, even though I normally just stay in my house and do my little glitchy chores and chat with friends, that's mostly because I've experienced most of what glitch has to offer already. Not all, but most. I don't want my experience to end. So I'm looking forward to fiddling with new mechanics and quest and something something. And learning new ways to play. And, if energy and EXP are changed up, there will be new basics to learn, too.

I'm pretty tickled. Rather than ticked. Tickled.
    Posted 12 years ago by Quirk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks stoot. I've gone from being slightly worried about a reset to looking forward to (and longing for) and ascension (slash voluntary reset) system, all in the small space of a few hours.

And yeah, @Pascale, I don't normally pay attention to Rook attacks, but even I'd noticed in increase lately...
    Posted 12 years ago by Xain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Does this mean we get senor funpickle?
    Posted 12 years ago by The Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @CleverCharacterName - CrashtestPilot had a great reply for you, and I agree with him 100%.  I've been in game development since the only games on the internet were text-based, and I promise you, players as a whole like to know upfront, and if you hold back and "lie" as you suggest them doing, the fallout would be much worse.  Players as a whole tend to be very forgiving if you give them advance notice.  And even those, like you, who complain, tend to come around by the time it happens.

Also, as Kleb said, a reset doesn't have to mean going back to zero.  Be happy!! Life is too short for anything else.
    Posted 12 years ago by Malc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • its probably been asked a million times - but plzzzz i dont want to lose my stuff or my lovely new 50,000 house i just bought :-( - will this happen....?? btw i am looking forward to more exciting gaming ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by plumberrie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Malc: Thanks for the shout-out. Totally agree with you.
    Reset or no, I trust TS to do the right thing.
    And I'm a really skeptical person.
    So, yeah. I actually trust a company  -- THIS company -- to do the right thing.
    Because they've been doing the right thing ALL along.

There's no downside to this; WE are going to get a better game.
    I LIKE better games.

Let the journey begin!
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To me, I am happy that the staff are listening and always working so much on getting Glitch to be the best it can be. I suppose that is all we can ask for. 

The only request that I have is that you open a Glitch Merchandise Store. I love this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewart/5962932809/in/photostream!!!! I will/would volunteer at the Merch store and help out with whatever you need for FREE.  Goodness I think my life would be complete. :) Many cuddles to everyone! Thanks for all the hard work Stoot and staff!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Marley Cuddles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There must be amazing plans in the works and I am willing to wait!
    Posted 12 years ago by Gruff McGruff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As long as we have lots of warning, I say go for it.  I'd be sad to lose my icons, honestly, and I love my gnomes (thank you to the staff who helped me retrieve my missing ones), but having a creatable house seems really cool.  Bog + spice+egg+fireflies, anyone?  Yes, please!  Maybe even a  skylight... ;)

We got this as a game.  I don't know how many people I've seen saying how bored they are or how they are just grinding.  Now it's gonna be a whole new thaaang!  Yay!  
    Posted 12 years ago by Nosferatutu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, if you do have to reset, you'd better bring 50K firebog homes. Well you should release those anyway.... :)

And would we get a senor funpickle? If so then you can go ahead and reset anytime now!
    Posted 12 years ago by Rhubewook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, do we all get a sr. funpickle now?!  HOLY CRAP if we do, then just sign me up and I'll shut up forever. ;)
  • You had me at no resets.
    And that money isn't your priority.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If we are going back to beta, will that still mean no more Beta Pickles and GNGs will be given out? Or will more be given since technically everyone is not a beta tester? 

PS: Is there ever going to be a way in the future to obtain a SB-1 Music block?
    Posted 12 years ago by Gordon Gekko Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heh Lontonthir and I are on the same boggy wavelength here. ;)
  • Stoot & Crew - loving the sound of the new changes. While I don't want a reset, certainly nothing to cancel a subscription over. Adds to the adventure! Thanks for being so transparent. Oh and I agree on opening a Glitch Merchandise store! hugs!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Bella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • and Glitch Beta was pretty darn fun!
    Posted 12 years ago by Bella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe I am just blind - but where is the FAQ?
    Posted 12 years ago by Landar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe I am just blind - but where is the FAQ?
  • @crashtestpilot I feel the same way. I don't see how there is a downside to this. I think people that are so worried about losing their time invested can relax a bit. Maybe I feel that way because I don't feel sooooo attached to what I've done in-game. It's fun, it's taken me a lot of time, sure, but it's not everything. I look forward to more happy social experiences, items and achievements.

And I too am a very, very skeptical person, who more often than not tends to be cynical about the corporate side of things. TS has shown consideration for their players, which is far beyond a few of the sites I've given money to on the internet.
    Posted 12 years ago by Laerwen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've got a mere 139 badges, so not a real concern for me -- but the achievement completeists ladder would suck for those coming on boards in phase two if any current achievements become unfeasible (the object no longer exists) or outright deprecated.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator 5 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Landar
    Click the Help menu in the upper right corner of your screen, and then scroll down a bit
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would definitely like to say that I REALLY appreciate how much TS cares about us. I've played a lot of games (and I mean a lot of games), and never ever ever did the devs care about the players the way you guys care about us.

Thank you. <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm completely psyched about the upcoming changes, and I think the manner in which communication has been handled, (quickly, with honesty and tact) speaks volumes about TS as a company. 

While you can't please all of the people all of the time, this is a fantastic long-term strategy and I will continue to give my money to TS in the future.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xev Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, interesting times indeed. It's certainly a bold move by Tiny Speck, and one that many (most?) companies would never dare take. But I love the fact that TS are so bold and are doing what they clearly passionately believe to be the right thing. I have no doubt whatsoever that as a result, Glitch will end up even more awesome than it is now! I have every faith in them and I'm very much looking forward to the results (and, of course, the inevitable end-of-unlaunch parties that will precede the relaunch).

FWIW, I'd be fine with a reset, should it be necessary. In the extremely unlikely event that such a thing has to happen, the only thing I'd ask is that we get a little warning, so we can blow all our currants on cubimals and then hold wild parties until dawn. 
    Posted 12 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If I lost my skills and level, I would definitely stop playing. No way I want to re-do everything.
    Posted 12 years ago by pancake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @WindBorn
    Thanks.  Did not realize they were updating the regular FAQ and seeding in some questions.  Thought there was going to be a separate one on this subject.
  • Thumbs up for doing what it takes to make a great game!  I've been checking the answers and I do have an unanswered question.

I bought credits and purchased some clothing with them.  Will my purchased clothing stay intact through any resets or big game changes?  I don't really want to ask for a refund because I think Glitch is totally worth paying for, but I would like some assurance that I won't lose my nifty clothes (and therefore my hard-earned money) in the beta rough-and-tumble.  Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "the creative tools that they need to change the world in more tangible ways: building whole new locations themselves, designing new buildings, setting up resource flows and forming flexible organizations to create bigger things together"

Finally, awesome!
    Good luck to the team
    Posted 12 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot, with regards to subscriptions and credits;
    . Does one only get the bonus-double credits if they've purchased them before the Unlaunch? Or can you purchase credits/subscription during the new Beta phase and still get double credits at launch?
    . If you've purchased a gift subscription for a friend, are they the ones that get the double credits, or does the purchaser get the bonus credits?

Hope that makes sense, thank you for taking the time to answer everyone's concerns. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Navocado Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I honestly don't care if there's another reset. I've done it before, I can do it again and it'll be more fun with new beginning content. 

But for the love of Cosma don't make me do that effing Peter Out Peat quest again!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ernest Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sure they won't do another reset, that would piss off too many people.
    Posted 12 years ago by Serra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Am I the only one worried about zombies in Ur? I'm not afraid to fight them, but only if I can return to that old familiar domicile I call HOME!
    Posted 12 years ago by bayBi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Er, who brought up that rumour that our icons would go away? I have five of the damn things, and I'd be seriously bothered if I couldn't keep them? So where did that rumour come from?
    Posted 12 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If there is a reset, you could wipe the exploration counters ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Stuv Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think since we are all in beta again that those that didn't do beta the first time should get the senior funpickle! I mean we are in beta after all now! Please consider it!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Casombra Amberrose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There MIGHT be a reset? Ugh... fraking A!
    Posted 12 years ago by Bashere Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My impression is that the only way there will ever be a "final version" of this game is if all the giants become senile with no replacements. That's not a bug, it's a feature ;-).
    Posted 12 years ago by gimmegames Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The game has always been described as a world of imagination and creation so i'm thrilled to see that will be more of a reality! :D A big congrats to everyone at Tiny Speck for their amazing work so far and all the best in the future
    Posted 12 years ago by NovaParadigm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Excite, excite, excite!

Whatever you guys do, I am sure it is going to be awesome.  So, I guess we are all Beta now? ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by dmnddgs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Raising a glass to all TS staff!

Here's to an awesome game!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe they will come out with some additional 'beta special' item.  Like a 'lesser funpickle' or something like that.
    Posted 12 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why can't you offer refunds if you decide to reset Glitch as I do not particularly want to do this all over again for the third time. It has taken people a lot of spent time to get to the experience level some are currently at, achieve rewards, locations and for me, my latest addition, getting all the Icons just to have them removed again and having to start from scratch. Please let us know whether you are or aren't resetting for sure so we have time to cancel for those who feel the same way. Please don't get me wrong as I do think that Glitch is an excellent social game and people look forward to the challenges put forth but not the challenge of having to do it all again. (Been there, Done that!).
    Posted 12 years ago by Anubis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Anubis, they DO offer refunds.

All you have to do is request it.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey Stoot, I have a question: As the game continues to be developed, will herdkeeping be expanded to include zombies and allow players to keep them in our yards (houses allowing)? 

More importantly, as the war against the undead progresses, will domestication be an option with our captured zombie enemies? Could we, in theory, have zombie man servants? Zombie butlers? Zombie coffee tables?
    Posted 12 years ago by Xev Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi WindBorn, Yes I am aware of the refunds but these are only until the 21st of December so if they decide to reset after Christmas then you have lost the opportunity to do so.
    Posted 12 years ago by Anubis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Maybe they will come out with some additional 'beta special' item.  Like a 'lesser funpickle' or something like that."

Oh! Like a melon of moderate amusement.
    Posted 12 years ago by Teutonic Tina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What's left to say? Great work so far team Glitch!  I look forward to all the positive changes.

Cheers ... 

Webbie 
    Posted 12 years ago by Webbie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was an amazingly bold move and I'm nothing short of ecstatic to be a part of it.  I knew when starting this game it would be ever changing, and I was starting to see lots of Glitches getting into what seemed like boring ruts.  Increasing Rook attacks and the rewards was a great start, and now this announcement.

With the game back under the 'beta' label, we all benefit.  I can't wait to see what's next.
    Posted 12 years ago by a lifted pixel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Holy crap Stoot, I get 400 credits a month since I have Moly!  That means I'll get 800 for each month that I have played and 800 for each month this takes!  I'm going to be swimming in credits!  New stuff to spend those on will be awesome as well, I'm sure!

Edit:  Also, if there is a reset, I will be pissed off, but I know that you will do everything in your power to not do that unless it's 1000000000000% necessary!  I will still play Glitch even if there is, but I will grumble like a bitch since I just got all of my 11 icons last week.  :P

Also, Marry me stoot!
    Posted 12 years ago by Serra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You know, I have been playing in online games/environments since about forever, and the level of honesty here isn't just refreshing - it's astonishing. Jaw-dropping astonishing.

I don't know if I'll like the direction the game goes - how can I possibly predict that? - but I guarantee you all, if you held your breath waiting for ANY other game developer, anywhere, to announce publicly, "We thought we could do this the way we planned. Turns out we can't, and we're going back to the drawing board" ... you'd be dead of asphyxiation now. :)

And this is why I gave Tiny Speck my money. Which they can continue to have.
    Posted 12 years ago by Columbina Subscriber! | Permalink