Topic

Staff Topic

Official Encyclopedia Asset Licensing thread

Just now, we've added a section to most item pages in the Encyclopedia with some additional assets.  Depending on the item, there are spritesheets, animated gifs and static images in .png format. We are making these available under a "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported" license which means you can use them in your own projects.

You can read a bit more about this (and some other things, like the availability of end of the world notes) in this new blog post, A Post-Game Update from Tiny Speck. And, if you have questions or comments, this is the thread!

(p.s. We've also made an addition to your individual "archive" pages so that the complete set of spritesheets for each of your saved avatar customizations are available, instead of just the static png files)

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Thank you! You've made me so happy! You're the greatest!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ann DramaDuh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love you so hard, Little Poundcake!  Thank you
    Posted 11 years ago by Toxic Moonie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you thank you thank you.... here piggy piggy....:)  I can feel the love....and it goes both ways.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pick A Lily Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you. <3 Every time you guys give us a little more to remember Glitch by, my heart sings. LA~!
    Posted 11 years ago by camicami Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Turns out I have an animated png version of Bureaucrat playing Farmville for those who asked ;)
    It was recorded with the desktop version of my glitch companion ^^
    (apngs won't work in all browsers tho)

@LP "Landscapes: Potentially! If so, not all of them, just a representative subset of the really good stuff."
    Good to hear it may happen :]
    Just to clarify, I'm talking about individual sprite elements, like those found in the resources here
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much!  :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Misty Mountain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's really amazing to read some of those notes... is there any way to see notes that were left on Home streets? I know stoot's street in particular was covered with notes - I hope those were saved as well!
    Posted 11 years ago by Zany Serendipity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't really know what any of this means, but it seems like Tiny Speck has just done something awesome, so thanks.

I have no idea what a sprite sheet is or assets for whateverthingy. One day I will learn computerese. For now I learn knitting. (knitting is hard)

Thank you all for giving creative types the ability to do Glitchy inspired goodness.

Thanks Tiny Speck! I miss Glitch, but I am trying to fill the hole with real life. So far so good.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for including the conversations! I SO wanted to look at them again.

If anyone wants to cry, go and read the last one for the Patch.
    www.glitch.com/items/natura...

I still like you, patch, and I won't ever forget that you 'zist.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ustice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You guys are super sweet, and thank you for documenting my end-of-the-world notes. Even though they make me look like I was slowly descending into madness. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lone Druid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for continually sharing with us! TS is a company like no other and you keep proving that over and over. I can't wait to go through all the goodies and see what's there, though I know it will likely bring tears as well as smiles. I miss my Glitch so much, but getting to keep pieces and memories is great. Thanks again to all of you who worked so tirelessly for us Glitchen. (((HUGS))) and ///SPLANKS///
    Posted 11 years ago by kat65 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, super! Thank you.
    Posted 11 years ago by plou Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow
    Posted 11 years ago by Fly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so unbelievably incredible of you, stoot and TS... I can't help but cry. You have refunded and returned and given and given and done more work to give us as much as you can of our lovely, crazy, wonderful, beloved Ur. Thank you is just not enough to say, but... thank you. From the bottom of my forever Glitchen heart. And stoot? (You know I am part of the stoot admiration society of course, but aside from that...) This only proves exactly what has become "the" phrase that sums up how very much you care - you are STILL working on this game "so, so very hard". Bless you for that.

As Ustice said (from the sweet, sad last conversation with the patch - thx for posting that link - so appropo!) : I still like you, patch (TS), and I won't ever forget you 'zist.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hab Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why only non-commerce use?! Whyyyyy?!
    Posted 11 years ago by Flashist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ***Thank you*** stoot and TS, for once again going above and beyond the call of duty by a country mile. You guys spoiled us in the game, and you're still spoiling us...please don't ever stop spoiling us! We love you! {{{hugs}}}

Two quick questions: where, pray tell, are these notes folks keep mentioning? I wanna read notes!!

Also, when I put the animated .gifs of the piggy and helikitteh on my desktop, they show up with a white box border. Anyone know how to get rid of the border and just have the critter show? Thanks muchly! 
    Posted 11 years ago by KitchWitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd love to have the asset set of Naraka, and an animated Rook.... That would be AWESOME :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Marky Thirteen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just wish we could have one more day in Ur, so I could get a whole street image of my home street...the ones I took were lost when I lost my old pc. ='(
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nice find, Ustice.  And thanks so much, TS!! These are absolutely wonderful.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Katechol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That conversation with the patch made a number of people cry. Annapeee explained its origin in this topic here. It's really a wonderful story and annapeee is a wonderful writer.
    Posted 11 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's now a link for you guys to download all of the item spritesheets on the licensing page. All 372 MB of them. It's a lot of pngs. There were a lot of items in Glitch!

www.glitch.com/licensing/

NOTE: This is just a bundle of all the spritesheets we already put up in the encyclopedia. There are a few items in this zip file that are missing from the encyclopedia, such as the street spirits and mortar barnacles.

Things that are not in this zip file: animated GIFs, the rook, rainbows, landscapes, backgrounds, houses, wall/ceiling/floor decorations, towers, avatars, clothing, overlays, money, fame, fortune. And some other stuff! You'll tell me what that other stuff is, I just know it. ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There are no magical unicorns in the .zip file! I demand a refund!
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • will you be releasing things like quoins and shrines?
  • Quoins and shrines are both in that zip file.
  • This is awesome! Thank you Little Poundcake! But now you have more questions to answer. "Goat arm"? "Sheep Red Wine"? Long ago, there was a poll as to which animals should be added to Glitch. Are these items that would have been included if those animals had been chosen?
    Posted 11 years ago by Autolycus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The goat parts and sheep wine are very, very old. Much older than the "what animals should we add?" poll. Someone who was around a very, very long time ago will have to explain them. They were part of a place called Happy Place.

I see a quest in which you repeatedly pet piggies until one of them gave you a goat arse, and some dialogue around eating a goat eye, but I don't know the backstory. It looks like the sheep red wine caused you to lose 50 mood when you consumed it; however, it also boosted the mood of everyone around you by 50 as well.
  • sheep red wine. *facepalm*
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • where's my rook?!? lol
  • I just noticed that the furniture upgrades were not included in the download. Is that something you are planning to bundle up?
    Posted 11 years ago by Piece of Serenity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank youuuuuuuu, TS! <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • you are awesome TS!
  • @KitchWitch - an easy way to find the notes is to do a google search for "site:glitch.com/locations written".  Make sure you have a box of kleenex handy :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Portinari Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +Piece of Serenity
    Furnitures would be a nice addon to the whole pack indeed
  • Hmmm, yeah, I have no idea where the upgraded furniture assets are. I'll hunt around for them.
  • i need something to be brave enough to open and see this... i opened the butterflies and had to close it right away... but i'll get this!
    infinit thank you!!!!:)
    Posted 11 years ago by mira gaia maia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh please, please, please can we have Le Voyage Violet added with the Scion of Purple added too? Please?
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You are really awesome! Would it be possible to use some of the assets in a commercial context as well? We have build an edutainment portal for kids (www.galileo-genial.de/) where the funiture and some of the other items could fit quite nicely into our world.
    Posted 11 years ago by fossie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @LP The asset bundle is awesome
    If while hunting for the furniture you happen to stumble upon the game interface and menus assets, that's stuff I'm really interested in as well (but maybe it's just me)
  • From the code for the verb menu:

// replace this with pngs when you have it, I guess
    // FUCK THAT, LET'S DRAW THIS SHIT BOYEEE!

Translation: there are no assets for menus! The pointer thing at the bottom of the menu was drawn using the AS3 Graphics class, and the rest of it was CSS. The font used for the title at the top of the verb menus (where it said "A Piggy named Hambulance", for example) was a bold version of VAG Rounded.

Re: the licensing, as we said in the blog post, we're looking into releasing more assets and putting them all under a license that opens them up to more possibilities. Some things take a little time. :)
  • Also, good heavens, our language! *faints*
  • Haha okay
    Fuck I'll just REDRAW that shit then
    Thx
  • oh, you're no longer "staff" :(
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh! I just wasn't properly logged in. It's all cool. I fixed it.
  • Pfft and we thought the staff knew what they were doing....
  • Everyone else on staff is extremely competent.
  • *hugs Little Poundcake *

We lubs you anyway <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Live Your Dreams Subscriber! | Permalink
  • man, that commenting makes me want to read the game code. not because i have any talent at programming whatsoever, but the stuff developers comment out can be hilarious and strange (does anyone remember when some Windows source code got leaked and people mined the comments to find all the mentions of pot usage and griping about hacking their own code because of ridiculous layers of back-compatibility and reuse of undocumented code?).
    Posted 11 years ago by Faranae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Btw, I'm not using "Share Alike" licenses that often...
    Does it mean developers using the assets have to share the source code of their creations,
    Or just to place the -resulting- program as the same license?

(Technically the source code is available in my case in the source of the page, but all the javascript is minified and can't really be used that way... I guess I would have to share the Construct 2 project file, but that's a commercial program not available for free to everyone)
  • I'd like to put a question to the developers -- just because I'm interested....
    What with all of the different looks the Glitch avatars could have, how were they put together when it came to playing the game?

I know the animations were compiled into spritesheets, but what went into getting the selection of clothing, faces, etc from the wardrobe to the spritesheets?
  • You guys are just incredible - I am continually astounded at the generosity you show and the fact that you are giving us back so very much. Thank you, with all of my being. <3 
    Posted 11 years ago by LulaJaenelle Subscriber! | Permalink