Topic

Custom bag sorting categories

The idea of automatically sorting things into the right bag is great, but it seems I'm not the only one who has my own way of sorting (not covered by the sorting categories currently implemented). This means that even with the upgrades I'm still stuck hand-sorting everything. Could we please have a way to custom-sort bags with items we choose? Even just being able to choose more than one category for a bag would be helpful, but even better would be the ability to make completely custom categories. Then these new inventory upgrades would actually be worth getting!

Posted 12 years ago by Aira Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Indeed.  And there needs to be a gem category.
    Posted 12 years ago by Andi Plasma Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes.  Also, there are a lot of things that don't have a bag category -- everything that I stick in my "ingredients" and "groceries" bags, for instance.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fnibbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1.  Actually, +10!

Also the ability to 'pin' items (such as tools) which don't stack, to specific slots in my bag, so they don't get re-sorted, would be suuuuper awesome. 

Or even to make one of the categories 'Don't sort this bag please!' would solve half the issue, for me at least.

That said I love the thought and it's a big step up!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sprockett Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed.  Some of the default sorting rules are real head-scratchers.  For instance, planks sorting in with cooking ingredients and other food?     .....Well, yeah, sure, if you're desperate you CAN eat a plank.  but that's not what 99% of players use 99% of their planks for, 99% of the time.  A plank is a gathered construction/crafting resource, not a food.

(Unless, you know, you're really desperate, or have some beaver secretly hidden in your family tree.)

One thing that would help?  If I get a gem of any type, or a music block of any type, for example, and I already have a bag which contains gems or music blocks as appropriate, and it has space available ..... put it in that bag first.  Regardless of what the bag is "supposed" to hold.  If I have a bag that I put metal ore into?  Continue to store all incoming metal ore in that bag until it's full.
    Posted 12 years ago by Alaric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agree with Alaric. Would save a lot of trouble to just have resources join their friends in whatever bags they happen to be in.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One thing that could prove useful is a bag 'locking' feature.  So regardless if you have it set to something, or nothing, it will not sort things away from it, only to it (<--if set to sort).  Because I keep going to sort my herbs and emblems, and it pushes my essences to the herb bags, and my emblem bag setup for contemplating keeps getting all discombobulated..lol.  I have a couple 3 bags specifically dedicated to things, and it keeps wanting to push it around, even though they are not setup to sort.

Or yea, what sprockett said..lol..totally missed it..but the option for things to go to it wouldn't be bad in my opinion, for i.e. eating planks (lol) from a locked bag, and sorting/stack up the lil bit from another bag to the locked bag.  but as far as tools, i found tool boxes don't magically sort, unless you specifically make it do so...try it...i dare you..lol. xD
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. iOuS kEiPhErs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Locking is a much requested feature. Locked bags could have a red outline or background to make it obvious that their contents are protected.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think if we had every category on the selection list for the bags....first that would help. As it is we are missing categories still. Once we have all the categories, I'd like to be able to checkmark which ones i want for each bag, so however many categories i check, those are for that bag, be it 1,2,3,4 or even more categories checked. Also having a Lock for the bags would be a very good idea :) As an aside...please add planks to the Manufacturing category...why in the world is it with my food basics?! The rest of the non-edibles that arent rocks are in the Manufacturing category, except planks. Mind you i keep moving my planks to there. As for the locking feature i'd prefer if there was  a symbol than a red outline, but thats just a preference.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps the ability to select specific items for slots in bags?  So you click 'item select' on a bag, then it pops up a menu of everything you are currently carrying, and then you can select various of them to go to specific places in a bag, places that will never be taken by anything else, perhaps?  Have it leave behind the phantom animation that is currently set up for SDBs?  So even if there is nothing there, it gives a a '0' for the number of that specific item in that slot.  And unless you click and drag something else into that slot, nothing else will go there.
    Posted 12 years ago by FineousFingers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One thing that would help me organize bags is if there was a 'Do Not Sort' choice. Then the sort option would not mess with bags I've customized for my needs. Any other glitches think 'Do Not Sort' would be a good addition?
    Posted 12 years ago by Yimmer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An fuzzy logic routine could learn how to sort bags just they way you want. No need for arbitrary categories.

Storing the entire neural net data for the hundreds of in-game items could get a bit wonky though.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator IX Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Having to select what i want per slot, per bag, i think would cause more headache than not. If that were the case I'd spend too much time trying to decide how much i "may" or "may not" be gathering that day, which is rather hard to know or predict, that and that would be an absolutely gigantic list to pick from, so i don't really see that working out. That being said...i do think we minimally need a complete list of category's, so....I'm going to list them off....and if i miss any...please mention it later:)...So here goes....
    Food / Drinks / Crops / Herbs / Seeds /Seasoned Beans(possibly include with Seeds) / Animal Husbandry (Seasoned Eggs, Butterfly Lotion, Pig Bait, etc.)  Manufacturing (includes Planks & Fiber) / Rocks / Gems(possibly include with rocks) / Tools (probably include.. Machine Parts & Milkers & Meat Collectors & Stills) etc. / Emblems (possibly include Icons) / Collectibles(Cubimals etc.) / Music Blocks(possibly include with collectibles) / Basic Resources / Animal Resources(Meat, Milk, Grain), Upgrade Cards / Tp Scripts / Potions / Powders / Potions / Alchemical Compounds / Spices /.....and i think that covers it. Including more than one category per bag would be helpful, up to at least 4 categories. 2 categorys getting used im sure is common....more then 3 not as much, more then 5 i would think uncommon. If it simply allowed us to choose however many categories we wanted per bag, that would be the most ideal.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1. Agreed. Also, if it is possible, it would be nice to have the option to view all items in bag inventory in one window (like when opening storage cabinets).
    Posted 12 years ago by Zaeirra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Would love a custom or 'do not sort' category or a pinning option. If my GNG gets punted into my general 'musicblock' bag one more time... It belongs in the 'special things' bag!

So yes! Great ideas all round.
    Posted 12 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nice idea
    +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr.CookieEater Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes would love to sort things like 'A' has the meat grain and milk, but I would like to put eggs, all dairy flour, any basic resource coming directly or indirectly from an animal in it and I want to keep cherries with the rest of my fruit instead of with all this (assuming the setting is A+B)

The auto sorting that is there at the moment does seem a bit random o.O 
    Posted 12 years ago by AbleMable Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +fruit category, or real stacking over different bags
    Posted 12 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the great suggestions! We are improving bag sorting as best as other development priorities allow.

Gems were recently assigned to Mining bags, and as of today Planks get sorted to Manufacturing bags (requires re-assigning "Sort: Manufacturing").
    Posted 11 years ago by Mart Lume Subscriber! | Permalink