Topic

Your Home Street renamed to Your Community Street

Following on from a discussion in General where it was suggested that instead of calling Home Streets
GlitchName's Home Street it is renamed
GlitchName's Public Street

I would like to go even further and have them renamed 

GlichName's Community Street

No ambiguity there. Less angst, less grief

Posted 12 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• +1 (note that this has been suggested several times before)
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +++++++1111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +2
    Posted 12 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +3
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think that if you have 'glitch's name community street' then there will be confusion. Community means "owned by the people." or "controlled by the people" which of course our home streets are not. People don't have access to change what is on your home street so community street won't work. As for public street, that would be alright, but what is the point of telling the already overworked devs to change all the names of the home streets while they have bugs to fix and other already planned out things (that they haven't put out yet possibly) to create!
    Posted 12 years ago by Posie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +4
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • re: "change all the names" - not sure if you're thinking that each particular street would require its own name change, but in case you are: although I am not a programmer at all I am thinking it wouldn't require changing as many things as there are home streets.
    Posted 12 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would, I believe, require changing the text string "Home" to the text string "Public." Of course, I could be wrong about that.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i do not believe that would take away any of the angst.

you can call anything by any name in the world, but it won;t change people's idea that they ought to be able to control how others behave.
    Posted 12 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Posie wrote: Community means "owned by the people." or "controlled by the people" which of course our home streets are not.

I disagree. Community means run FOR the people, not by the people, or owned by the people. Look at the Community gardens in Ur itself. They are not owned by any Glitch but are there for the use of all Glitchen
  • +1111

Plus, Irenic, you my dear Glitchen, get a gold star.
    A. Gold. Star.
    Posted 12 years ago by ₰ℓ№ʀ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Community does imply...owned by group not individual. So i think it would cause confusion as well. I'm more in favor if the name is changed...to  "_____'s " Public street instead,  of the two its much more clear.  I also agree that changeing the name, only ends up in a "Rose called by any other name is still a Rose" type scenario. The ppl that object to how other ppl play are still going to do so nomatter what the street is called. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I want to refer the street that I live on to other people in real life, I say 'My street.'  If my friend Rodger has their house on a street, I refer to it as 'Rodger's Street.'  This doesn't imply that the streets belong to me or to Rodger.  In fact, it more means that we belong to the street, in a way.

This seems like a change that aims to push an agenda, not clarify anything.

-10203 (since everybody else wants more votes, too)
    Posted 12 years ago by Feldspar Gravity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • but I like my home street. besides typing /home is way easier. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Thursday Soleil:

No one here has suggested getting rid of Home Streets or changing how they function  in any way at all. The suggestion is just to change the name. /home would work just as it does now
  • Actually if the home streets names were changed, it probably wouldn't make sense to have them be "home" any more.  I understand the progression, as it was /home at first and nothing else, and then they added /house to it, but it's probably a wee bit confusing, and I imagine if there weren't "home streets" newer players would expect both /home and /house to take them to the house.
    Posted 12 years ago by diaveborn ♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I still think changing the name isnt going to solve this. Since you have control of your home street, nomatter what it may be called, ppl will still have the same grievances. It is a small % that have major issues with street useage / privacy, but a simple name change isnt going to change that. As for the commands, i too find them a bit confusing, i think it would be more clear cut, if it was, 
    /tower, /house, /homestreet, yes its more to type but to me that does clarify it more than it is currently.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Dorgan  Maybe a green check would be better?
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink